Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a crack on the downtube in my RipmoV1. The knuckle hangs lower than most so it looks like that got knackered on some rock and now there's a crack. I have a carbon guy that can fix it and toughen it up for $400 or Ibis will replace the front triangle for $600. I get concerned whenever I break a bike, so I'm looking at my options. Overall, I'm super happy with the Ripmo. Seems to do most things very well. The only limitation I've run into is how it blows the travel kind of easy and bottoms out on anything big. The V2 supposedly is better with the travel thing, but there's still the knuckle problem. So, 1 option is to fix the Ripmo and get something else.

Enter the SB130. I'm looking for a burly all arounder that climbs well. Most of my stuff is peddly technical riding, with a lot of punchy climbing. Our fun stuff is beefy rock slabs, smaller drops, techy jumps, so the bike takes some abuse. I also travel and hit up all day XC riding and/or more Enduro-ish stuff. Wanted to get some opinions on the SB130 as a replacement. Anybody ride both and can comment on the difference in climbing, suspension feel, long descents, etc. What about durability? Yeti gets a bad rap in our area due to a fair share of breakages. Has that gotten any better? Especially concerned about getting one used.

What about the SB130LR and/or the Cascade Link vs Ripmo?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Evaluate a Banshee Spitfire
Prime would be a better comparison as a 29er.

Ive owned a hightower LT, demo’d the Ripmo af and megatower. Also owned a wreckoning with a -1.5 degree angleset. Never tried an sb130 but im curious about switch infinity. Havent tried the new hightower but ive heard the rear end isnt easy to get along with.

Prime is excellent. Much faster than the bikes i have ridden, comfortable climber and capable suspension platform (dual links similar to VPP or dw). Heavier than carbon for sure, but i truthfully dont notice the weight while riding it, if anything it helps keep it planted in the rough. Super fun bike and i’d recommend it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
3 weeks ago i broke the frame on my SB 130, yeti is replacing the front triangle at no cost. While I was waiting for the replacement I bumped into a ripmo V2. I have been riding the Ripmo for 3 weeks and this is my opinion. Both bikes climb well in technical terrain ( my times in strava has not change at all), but the Ripmo is a much superior bike going down, I have gone down in a really tech downhills faster. One thing I forgot to say is the Yeti is a LR (160 mm fork with a fox DHX2 coil) and I have a coil in my new Ibis as well.

I am surprise that Ibis do not replace your front triangle at no cost. This is my 2 cents about this 2 bikes.

I had a Santa Cruz Hightower V2, and I would say this bike is a hard bike to climb but it is a good bike to go down.

In general I think the Ripmo V2 is a better bike of all these three bikes.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I feel the DW-Link designs pedal better. Fixing the Ripmo or testing a Pivot Switchblade would be my recommendations.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 weeks ago i broke the frame on my SB 130, yeti is replacing the front triangle at no cost. While I was waiting for the replacement I bumped into a ripmo V2. I have been riding the Ripmo for 3 weeks and this is my opinion. Both bikes climb well in technical terrain ( my times in strava has not change at all), but the Ripmo is a much superior bike going down, I have gone down in a really tech downhills faster. One thing I forgot to say is the Yeti is a LR (160 mm fork with a fox DHX2 coil) and I have a coil in my new Ibis as well.

I am surprise that Ibis do not replace your front triangle at no cost. This is my 2 cents about this 2 bikes.

I had a Santa Cruz Hightower V2, and I would say this bike is a hard bike to climb but it is a good bike to go down.

In general I think the Ripmo V2 is a better bike of all these three bikes.
Thanks for the replies all! I am leaning towards getting it repaired/re-enforced and keeping it. It sounds like the other bikes would be a parallel move at best. I really do love the bike, but I am easily inflicted with grass is greener on the other side-itus. .

btw, I'm not the original owner so I'm actually kind of impressed that Ibis would give me that pricing to replace the front triangle. No upgrade path to the V2 though, I asked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts