Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review will be for both the Offering and SB130, going to copy and paste this to the Evil forum also.

Went to Outerbike this weekend. Today is the last day, but I rode so much and made/changed my mind several times, lol. I left last night after riding the Offering for the last time.

I had a list of bikes to ride. Rode most but my top three, based on reviews, modern geo (which is what I was looking for), etc.. were

1. Evil Offering
2. Yeti SB130
3. Orbea Rallon

When I got on the Rallon, my first thought was "dirt bike". It felt huge. BikeMag had said it was a great bike that climbed and went down great. I did not like it the second I sat down. Was just not for me and the type of riding I do. Just wanted to mention that real quick.

The Offering was the first bike I rode both mornings, they only had two, and I was first in line at Outerbike each day. I was first at Evil each morning.
Yeti...of course those guys had all bikes out during the day, super popular. Nat (or Nate?) from Yeti, I got to talking with him. I let him know that i was there cause I was shopping for a new bike, and it was down to either the Offering or the SB130. He threw me on his personal SB130, which was really cool (and gave me beer after). Good guys.

So here is where I am at with the bikes.

Disclaimer - this is how the bikes felt for me. We are all different. I am 240-245 with all gear/water on. I am 5-11, 6ft muscular. Your experience may vary. I also have a back that gets sore quick.
Also, these are demo bikes. You will see in the review, the more time I spent having the guys setup the suspension, the better both bikes performed obviously.
Yeti and Evil guys were awesome. I got a little more attention from the Yeti guys at first. I wish I could remember the guy from Evil who helped me with suspension on the last ride, tried finding his name, but if anyone knows him, he is a shorter guy, shaggy hair, says he used to race downhill and is Evil's suspension tester.

When I took off on the Offering, it felt super poppy and plush. I was jumping around and corning like it was on rails. There was one specific jump/drop that I would hit hard to see how the bikes would respond. When I hit it the first time I felt the rear shock bottom out, which surprised me as I heard the Delta was like the Yeti suspension, hard to find bottom. It was a big drop/jump though.

When I came out of that part there was climbing. Climbed like a goat, and ZERO bob.

Once I hit the second downhill part, it just moved around so well. Exactly what I was looking for. Popping out of corners, smooth, etc. I immediately knew this was going to be my new bike.
But I still had to ride the Yeti....

Nat put me on his SB130. Everything I said about the Offering, applied to the Yeti. In MY OPINION, both bikes rode exactly the same, except for three things.
1. When I hit the jump, the SB130 did NOT bottom out. It was end of day and I was tired, but that stuck with me.
2. When I was on the Offering, my back did not bother me. I felt I was more up right, with very light hands (I was not leaning forward). On the Yeti, I felt a TINY, and I mean a TINY bit more leaning forward with weight on my hands.
3. The Yeti, when corning, I could feel myself pushing into the suspension and when coming out of the corner, I could feel the suspension popping out and propelling me down the trail. Best I could describe it and I loved that feeling. Not sure if that is how the suspension should be tuned, but I liked it like that.

Of course when I rode the Yeti, I said that was going to be my new bike, lol.

I spent the rest of the time riding these two bikes and trying to make a decision. I kept going back and forth. I did NOT feel the Offering bottom on the other times I hit that jump after some suspension tuning.

The Yeti guys adjusted the suspension again for me. Bike rode even better. Can't really describe it, just felt fast, poppy, climbing like a rocket, etc.

I told the dude at Evil how the Yeti was popping out of the corners, and how the Offering bottomed out once for me and did not have that seem feel in the corners. So we spent about 10 minutes tuning the suspension for my weight and such.
When I took it back out, this thing was like a rocket. No bottom out and when pushing and coming out of corners, it felt just like the Yeti, but faster. Incredible.

I would like to say both bikes were ran in OPEN, not trail or climb, but OPEN. I did not know this until I had the guys read the settings to me so I could record them in case I got either the Yeti or Evil so when I built it up I could copy the settings. I NEVER felt peddle bob on either. Insane. Can't believe they climbed so well in open.

So I am back to square one. I can't decide. I could honestly flip a coin and go with either and be perfectly happy. they rode exactly the same except for a few minor things (the biggest for me was how I felt a tiny bit more forward on the Yeti) My decision will most likely come down to things beside the ride, like cost, warranty, availability, etc.

Quick side note...The Evil Following is the fastest bike I have ever ridden. So much fun. If you get a chance throw a leg over that bike, super fun.
Also, it seemed Evil, Yeti, Ibis and Pivot were by far the most popular.

Sorry forgot...size large

·
Registered
64 Posts
This review will be for both the Offering and SB130, going to copy and paste this to the Evil forum also.

Went to Outerbike this weekend. Today is the last day, but I rode so much and made/changed my mind several times, lol. I left last night after riding the Offering for the last time.

I had a list of bikes to ride. Rode most but my top three, based on reviews, modern geo (which is what I was looking for), etc.. were

1. Evil Offering
2. Yeti SB130
3. Orbea Rallon

When I got on the Rallon, my first thought was "dirt bike". It felt huge. BikeMag had said it was a great bike that climbed and went down great. I did not like it the second I sat down. Was just not for me and the type of riding I do. Just wanted to mention that real quick.

The Offering was the first bike I rode both mornings, they only had two, and I was first in line at Outerbike each day. I was first at Evil each morning.
Yeti...of course those guys had all bikes out during the day, super popular. Nat (or Nate?) from Yeti, I got to talking with him. I let him know that i was there cause I was shopping for a new bike, and it was down to either the Offering or the SB130. He threw me on his personal SB130, which was really cool (and gave me beer after). Good guys.

Disclaimer - this is how the bikes felt for me. We are all different. I am 240-245 with all gear/water on. I am 5-11, 6ft muscular. Your experience may vary. I also have a back that gets sore quick.
Also, these are demo bikes. You will see in the review, the more time I spent having the guys setup the suspension, the better both bikes performed obviously.
Yeti and Evil guys were awesome. I got a little more attention from the Yeti guys at first. I wish I could remember the guy from Evil who helped me with suspension on the last ride, tried finding his name, but if anyone knows him, he is a shorter guy, shaggy hair, says he used to race downhill and is Evil's suspension tester.

When I took off on the Offering, it felt super poppy and plush. I was jumping around and corning like it was on rails. There was one specific jump/drop that I would hit hard to see how the bikes would respond. When I hit it the first time I felt the rear shock bottom out, which surprised me as I heard the Delta was like the Yeti suspension, hard to find bottom. It was a big drop/jump though.

When I came out of that part there was climbing. Climbed like a goat, and ZERO bob.

Once I hit the second downhill part, it just moved around so well. Exactly what I was looking for. Popping out of corners, smooth, etc. I immediately knew this was going to be my new bike.

Nat put me on his SB130. Everything I said about the Offering, applied to the Yeti. In MY OPINION, both bikes rode exactly the same, except for three things.
1. When I hit the jump, the SB130 did NOT bottom out. It was end of day and I was tired, but that stuck with me.
2. When I was on the Offering, my back did not bother me. I felt I was more up right, with very light hands (I was not leaning forward). On the Yeti, I felt a TINY, and I mean a TINY bit more leaning forward with weight on my hands.
3. The Yeti, when corning, I could feel myself pushing into the suspension and when coming out of the corner, I could feel the suspension popping out and propelling me down the trail. Best I could describe it and I loved that feeling. Not sure if that is how the suspension should be tuned, but I liked it like that.

I spent the rest of the time riding these two bikes and trying to make a decision. I kept going back and forth. I did NOT feel the Offering bottom on the other times I hit that jump after some suspension tuning.

The Yeti guys adjusted the suspension again for me. Bike rode even better. Can't really describe it, just felt fast, poppy, climbing like a rocket, etc.

I told the dude at Evil how the Yeti was popping out of the corners, and how the Offering bottomed out once for me and did not have that seem feel in the corners. So we spent about 10 minutes tuning the suspension for my weight and such.
When I took it back out, this thing was like a rocket. No bottom out and when pushing and coming out of corners, it felt just like the Yeti, but faster. Incredible.

I would like to say both bikes were ran in OPEN, not trail or climb, but OPEN. I did not know this until I had the guys read the settings to me so I could record them in case I got either the Yeti or Evil so when I built it up I could copy the settings. I NEVER felt peddle bob on either. Insane. Can't believe they climbed so well in open.

So I am back to square one. I can't decide. I could honestly flip a coin and go with either and be perfectly happy. they rode exactly the same except for a few minor things (the biggest for me was how I felt a tiny bit more forward on the Yeti) My decision will most likely come down to things beside the ride, like cost, warranty, availability, etc.

Quick side note...The Evil Following is the fastest bike I have ever ridden. So much fun. If you get a chance throw a leg over that bike, super fun.

man, you must be a bike shops nightmare. It's a bike man, not a house. It's not supposed to be stressful. Just buy one and get on with your life

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good review man, I'm about to pull the trigger on the offering. That it rides like the yeti is a good thing. Was it setup with a 140 or 150 fork?
Glad you like the review :)

It was setup stock, 150. Sorry quick Edit since this is the yeti forum.

Just a quick note, and again, not leaning one way or the other right now...but as I sat around talking to the guys at Evil, each person who came back with the Offering stated it was the best bike they rode all day.
I also heard that from the guys riding the SB130, LOL

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Good review!
Maybe go for "bang for the buck"? At the same price, which has better components, easier to keep clean and maintain? I have an SB5c, and have never had a problem with the suspension, BTW.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good review man, I'm about to pull the trigger on the offering. That it rides like the yeti is a good thing. Was it setup with a 140 or 150 fork?
SD, do you think 140mm of travel will be enough for you on enduro courses? I watched your review on the Ripmo. Just curious as we are about the same height and weight. Geo numbers on the offering look spot on for a large. Have you ridden one yet?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Lardo

-Did you ride the offering with the dpx2?

-Can you share the settings so i can see if there was something out of the ordinary between what yeti and evil did? Maybe they had a setting which made it poppy but will suffer in traction.

-Did you feel the extra weight of the offering when climbing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lardo

-Did you ride the offering with the dpx2?

-Can you share the settings so i can see if there was something out of the ordinary between what yeti and evil did? Maybe they had a setting which made it poppy but will suffer in traction.

-Did you feel the extra weight of the offering when climbing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nat's Yeti was all Fox.
The Offering was all Rokshox.

I felt no weight difference. I actually did not even pay attention to that. I am a bigger guy, so small weight differences do not register with me. thats just me. Both climbed great.

Here are my notes from the settings they gave me on both. I am copying and pasting as I put them in.

Yeti:
Rear
compression all open
8 clicks from closed
Front
Open
9 clicks from open

Evil
Front
15 clicks from closed
Rear
7 clicks from closed
4 clicks from closed

if any of that makes sense. it was how I put it in my notes, figured I would just figure it out later.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
SD, do you think 140mm of travel will be enough for you on enduro courses? I watched your review on the Ripmo. Just curious as we are about the same height and weight. Geo numbers on the offering look spot on for a large. Have you ridden one yet?
Probably not for the 2019 BME venues. I would most likely run a large with a 150 fork in low with a -1 angleset. This would put the HTA just about 65 and keep a reasonable STA without really messing with the BB height. I'd probably also grab a 160mm air shaft and experiment a bit. The SB150 with a 77* sta and 64.5 HTA definitely did not feel too slack.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey! We met out at Outerbike. My brother and I came out from NJ. My brother also really liked the SB130. Actually was leaning toward the Jamis Portal in the bang for buck category. That 3VO suspension was impressive. I think they could have run better tires given the terrain of Bentonville.

We rode the Offering Sunday morning and my brother puts it above the sb130 for him. And he had the yeti as number one all weekend.

Are you going to get a frame and do a custom build?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey! We met out at Outerbike. My brother and I came out from NJ. My brother also really liked the SB130. Actually was leaning toward the Jamis Portal in the bang for buck category. That 3VO suspension was impressive. I think they could have run better tires given the terrain of Bentonville.

We rode the Offering Sunday morning and my brother puts it above the sb130 for him. And he had the yeti as number one all weekend.

Are you going to get a frame and do a custom build?
HEY MAN!!! I remember you guys! I can't remember what I was riding when I talked to you guys. I think it was the Yeti, and at that point in time I was going for the Yeti.
I kept changing my mind over and over. I ended up going with Evil. The only thing that won it out was I felt just a TINY bit top heavy (leaning forward on the Yeti). I bet it could have been fixed with a simple adjustment, but since they were so close to me, and the price I got on the Evil, I went with Evil.
Both bikes are incredible. You CAN'T GO WRONG with either of them.

I do remember you guys talking about the Jamis. Did he go with that finally or decide on something else?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You were on the Offering at the time...
I was riding the Mondraker Foxy RR and my brother was on the Jamis Portal.

I was toward the end of the second day when we saw you...by that time we had already ridden a few rigs. Luckily my brother and I both ride medium and are similar weight so we switched off alot to try as much as we could.

By that time we had tried:
Jamis Portal (29er with 130mm)
Jamis Hardline (27.5 with 160mm)
Esker Elkat (27.5 with 150mm)
Evil Wreckoning (29er with 160mm)
Yeti SB130
Yeti SB150
Mondraker Foxy RR (29er 150mm)

My brother loved the Yeti SB130..top choice money no object.
He really liked the Jamis Portal and I will tell you it is a great bang for buck choice.

BUT...

He got the medium Offering Sunday morning and loved it...even more than the SB130.

I rode it as well and I will give the edge to the Yeti in terms of climbing but the Evil is just so easy to ride fast on the descents...just crushes it...

So I think he will pull the trigger on the Offering when he's ready...

I'm still torn as for what I want next...

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I really like these kind of reviews. Personally for me, I'm so particular about my bike set up, that demos don't do much for me as a pretty poor performing bike can get much better quickly.

If I was stuck between those 2 bikes, I'd have to consider the warranty as a major decider.

Congrats on the Offering! Rad bike for sure.

·
Registered
686 Posts

1. Evil Offering
2. Yeti SB130
3. Orbea Rallon

The guy at Evil could have been (Luke Strobel). Google his name and you will find plenty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome review. Thanks be a ton!

I have a following v1 and love it. Anyone know a good way to trade up for an offering? I'm thinking I'd have to just sell the v1 and buy a new offering

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey.. refreshing this thread. Figured you have just bought a bike and ridden for a while. So follow up your review, please. I have not ridden an Offering, but have ridden an SB130 in the shop parking lot. I ride an XL. Used to have an XL SB5.5

My thoughts on riding the Sb130 XL is that the stack height is too low. And the bike I rode had 20mm or so of spacers under the bar (built for a tall rider). I am 6’4”. Despite the longer reach and effective TT, when making tight turns the bar ends were almost touching my knee caps.

The problem I had with SB55 was that it was too cramped, the seat tube was too tall, but most importantly, I felt too heavy on my hands/front forward. While the suspension was certainly one of the best ever when climbing, the geo left me feeling uncomfortable both up and down.

You mentioned being front heavy during your sb130 demo. The Offering has a higher stack... more so with a 150 fork (build kits are 140 or 160...you said 150....what did you buy?). So I figured the offering might feel less racey and more “playful”.

Appreciate any update now that it has been a few months.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.