Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 1057 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
John P----I have a 429 trail and wanted to buy the new version---but I want a bit more squish in the rear----like 130--loved the new Geo as mine is very short on reach but still it feels based on the XC 429 ----I am hoping still for a new Pivot that entices me--140/130----maybe a redone SB-----but for today the Evil offering is enticing

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is really disappointing. I was fully prepared to drop relatively big $$$ on a custom SB150 build. But now I'm obviously not going to. The initial suspension reports were bad enough, but the rubbing issue would be permanent I would think without significant changes to the actual frame design.

I wonder if the industry has passed by these smaller boutique brands that just can't spend the hours and dollars on proper testing.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
drive side is about 1/4", non drive side is double that. There's no rub just riding around but pushing the bike causing the back end to flex is when it touches. Kinda tough to swallow when it's billed as an "enduro race weapon".

Here's video from today

Gosh what a fun trail. Where is that, Golden area? Is there a shuttle or lift?
Sorry about the bike problems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
895 Posts
This thread and the SB100 thread saved me from the headache of owing a new SB model. Thanks for the input
No issues with my SB100 and no headaches for me. If I did have an issue it would be quickly taken care of by my LBS free of charge like it should be. They would pick up the phone and there would be no email bs/ run around and weeks of waiting. I also would have my pick of about 10 different demo bikes until my bike was ready to ride. I guess this is the advantages of going through a great LBS, but I know not everyone has that opportunity or wants to. It's rediculous to grasp that some LBS are charging labor for warranty work of any kind like mentioned above. To even have that thought in your mind about whether or not you will be charged= find another LBS.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Hey Chance-
It's a bummer to hear these stories about Yeti CS and QC... I spent years there and have nothing but love for those guys.

In any event, drop me a note if you'd like to try a Pivot sometime. A Firebird29 or Trail429 would compliment your quiver very well.

Cheers,
JP
Mmmmnnn, The FB29 sounds Tasty

·
Registered
131 Posts
The UPS man delivered my repaired X2 from Fox this afternoon and I immediately went out for a ride. Shock feels good and the new bushings definitely eliminated the play at the front mount but there's still enough flex in the back end for a 2.4 DHRII to rub the drive side chain stay. This mark was from about 3 miles of downhill. I took some video of the ride messing with my gimbal I'll throw a link up here later tonight. It was my first time riding outside in a couple of weeks so I didn't feel like I was pushing it particularly hard. I know it may not be a big issue to some but just the fact that it rubs bothers me. There's no way I could run a 2.5 and I'm worried about what it will look like after a few thousand miles. I don't want to have to keep swapping frame tape.

I also reached out to Yeti again (the owner and the sales guy I was dealing with) and attached this same photo. We'll see what they say. I asked them directly if there's any kind of fix in the works for the rubbing and flexy back end. I REALLY like this bike and want it to work but if they tell me "it is what it is" I probably won't be keeping it or ever riding a Yeti again. Which means selling my 4.5 as well.

Sorry about the rotated photo, the uploader here keeps turning everything 90 degrees on me for some reason.

View attachment 1221098
Just wondered, are you sure this is the frame and not your wheels? What wheels are you running? Are you a heavy rider?
I have noticed loads of flex on my 29er wheels on the SB100. My SB5 wheels in 27.5 felt rock solid and I cant see much difference in rear end shapes to cause that much flex.

29ers need deep rims to shorten the spoke length if you are riding hard. I'll be going for 30mm deep rims to compensate for longer spokes and avoiding straight pull spokes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just wondered, are you sure this is the frame and not your wheels? What wheels are you running? Are you a heavy rider?
I have noticed loads of flex on my 29er wheels on the SB100. My SB5 wheels in 27.5 felt rock solid and I cant see much difference in rear end shapes to cause that much flex.

29ers need deep rims to shorten the spoke length if you are riding hard. I'll be going for 30mm deep rims to compensate for longer spokes and avoiding straight pull spokes.
I think Streetdoctor tried a different wheelset with the same result?? I am not sure about that though....
I asked on youtube a reviewer of the Sb150 about those issues and he claims he hasn't noticed anything unsual either on the front bushings or flexing in the rear triangle...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Chance-
It's a bummer to hear these stories about Yeti CS and QC... I spent years there and have nothing but love for those guys.

In any event, drop me a note if you'd like to try a Pivot sometime. A Firebird29 or Trail429 would compliment your quiver very well.

Cheers,
JP
Man I really wanted to like the new Trail429, it checks all the boxes, but after an extended demo with three rides it just didn't excite me. Hard to explain why, just felt "meh" about it. Beautiful bike though.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Man I really wanted to like the new Trail429, it checks all the boxes, but after an extended demo with three rides it just didn't excite me. Hard to explain why, just felt "meh" about it. Beautiful bike though.
Not to derail, but I really wonder what is the "problem" with the T429? I felt the same way as you; it checks all the boxes and I really wanted to love it...but, it was not inspiring and I was underwhelmed. And I've read bunches of reviews that feel the same. I loved the FB29, but there's something "meh" about the trail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not to derail, but I really wonder what is the "problem" with the T429? I felt the same way as you; it checks all the boxes and I really wanted to love it...but, it was not inspiring and I was underwhelmed. And I've read bunches of reviews that feel the same. I loved the FB29, but there's something "meh" about the trail.
Yeah I felt bad because after my LBS turned a new bike into a demo, I couldn't really give them a solid answer about what I didnt like about it. Anyway, I'm thrilled with the SB130 now so no complaints

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
John P----I have a 429 trail and wanted to buy the new version---but I want a bit more squish in the rear----like 130--loved the new Geo as mine is very short on reach but still it feels based on the XC 429 ----I am hoping still for a new Pivot that entices me--140/130----maybe a redone SB-----but for today the Evil offering is enticing
You should try to throw a leg over a Trail429 with a DPX2 shock upgrade. That's my personal setup at the moment, and it's pretty hard to find that bike's limits without doing something totally insane. Haha

Cheers,

JP

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

These are Stans Flow MK3s 32h over-tensioned. I'm 195lb. The wheels that came on the bike were garbage. I don't think anyone makes a 30mm tall alloy wheel? I can't race on carbons, they break too easily.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
No worries, guys - everyone has their own preferences. I had the exact same feeling about the SB4.5 back when I worked for Yeti. Everyone raved about that bike, but I just never got along with it - always felt like I either sat way up on top of the travel or all the way down through to the bottom.

In any event, I made a couple small-ish changes to the Trail429 that really brought that bike to life:
1. I swapped the Minion and Rekon tired for a Hans Dampf (F) and Nobby Nic (R) - this lightened up the rotating mass and made the bike snappier.
2. Swapped the DPS for a DPX2 - this gave the bike a bit more control on long, chunky descents.

Full disclosure: I later swapped out the wheels for some carbon hoops, but this was just because I'm a carbon freak. Haha... the tires and DPX2 shock were the big changes.

Cheers,
JP

·
Registered
31 Posts
drive side is about 1/4", non drive side is double that. There's no rub just riding around but pushing the bike causing the back end to flex is when it touches. Kinda tough to swallow when it's billed as an "enduro race weapon".

Here's video from today

Sheesh u make lower longhorn look easy....

sucks u are still having rub issues...

·
Registered
131 Posts
These are Stans Flow MK3s 32h over-tensioned. I'm 195lb. The wheels that came on the bike were garbage. I don't think anyone makes a 30mm tall alloy wheel? I can't race on carbons, they break too easily.
I am similar weight and riding arch rims. Flow and arch are only 16mm deep which is pretty low compared to most alloy rims. When i'm pushing it up hill standing up I feel it flex a lot, which is something I've not experienced with my other wheels.
I agree, not sure what to suggest with alloy deep rims but I tried a friends Sb100 with carbon 30mm deep wheels and it felt so different.
Just thought I would mention it incase it was the wheels as its worth investigating all possibilities.

81 - 100 of 1057 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.