Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1057 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the two new bikes having some issues with play in the shock/fork?

I was reading something like that in one of the SB150 threads.

The SB130 was one of the bikes I was looking at before Outberbike this month.

Can anyone clarify if there is an issue going on?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Based on this post, it sounds like there were some frames with Switch-Infinity issues & some Fox Float X2 front bushing problems.

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb150-review-1086967-2.html#post13840343

Does the yoke play into these issues? Not enough information yet.
I am surprised that more is not being made of this. This is a huge issue if it is widespread. 3800.00 for a frame that is flawed?

Its like everyone is keeping quiet. I think Yeti should be on this forum clearing this up and actively involved.

You want my hard earned money you better be 100% upfront about the solution and issue.

I really want to own this bike but i don't have the time or money to be sat around dealing with warranty issues.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeti doesn't sell enough bikes or have a budget like Specialized Giant Trek even Santa Cruz sells way more bikes. Ferraris spend time in the shop. That's how it is
Hold on is that a joke, your comparing a 500k super car to a carbon formed mold with a shock.

Stop comparing Yeti to Ferrari. Yeti's are great bikes but Pivot, Ibis, Santa Cruz are just as good. So does that make them Lamborghini, McClaren, and Porsche.

Not everyone has 100's of thousands in the bank. Yes spending 8k on a bike is alot of money to me, as i have 1 income providing for a family of 4 in SoCal.

I love riding my bike and fit into my budget yearly, but asking a premium and shrugging the shoulders is not acceptable in my mind.

·
Registered
440 Posts
First, I agree that giving Yeti a pass if they have a legitimate issue because they are smaller is not OK. They're charging a premium to just about everyone else, so it better be right. That said, none of my Yeti's have ever had an issue. I think if it was happening everywhere, people wouldn't keep it quiet.

Sounds like everyone with an issue purchased one of the first frames out. No matter how much testing you do before a launch, you'll always find issues when the number of units becomes significant. As long as it's fixable they address the problems promptly, it's hard to ask more from them. Buying one of the first bikes of a new model with significant changes pretty much makes you the guinea pig I think.

Hopefully, it all gets sorted.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yeti doesn't sell enough bikes or have a budget like Specialized Giant Trek even Santa Cruz sells way more bikes. Ferraris spend time in the shop. That's how it is
^^^^^
That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.

I too was entertaining the thought of picking up a frame of either the 130 or 150, but this has given me pause, and might make me turn my attention towards the Orbea Rallon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am surprised that more is not being made of this. This is a huge issue if it is widespread. 3800.00 for a frame that is flawed?

Its like everyone is keeping quiet. ...
A simple answer is that it's not as widespread of an issue... Another easy answer is that there aren't enough in the wild yet for it to be a widespread issue. Or how about there aren't enough forum users that ride these new bikes for it to be blasted all over here. Either way I don't see it as a problem as Yeti is a solid company and I trust they will do right by the owners.

No company is immune from issues. Pretty much every manufacturer has had issues of carbon breakage or linkage problems. This is one reason I have 2 mountain bikes. What matters to me is how the bike rides and if the company is going to treat the owners well. The fact that Yeti has upped their warranty to lifetime says a lot about their commitment.

If the potential of frame issues is a huge turn off, I'd suggest a steel or Ti hardtail its a safer bet. No one says you have to have a Yeti.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
When has Yeti not had some kind of problem with their bikes? I used to have a SB66 and we all know the issues with the chainstays and the lack of longevity of the Switch linkage. A mtb friend had a SB4.5 and had cracks form on his rear triangle. And isn't the SI link kind of finicky with maintenance? No bike brand is immune from problems, and I'd still buy one if the price was right since they perform really well and look awesome. I just hope that the warranty service matches the price tag considering the competition from other brands and the direct-to-consumer brands too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm saying they can't do the level of testing the big brands do. So you are the factory tester. Boutique cars are the same way. If you sell more units you have test more. MKBHD has a great video on this about Apple.

Yeti would probably make more money issuing a few parts or even new frames rather than spend months perhaps a year testing something until its bomb proof. They don't have the personal, they don't have the labs, they don't have the machines that do these sorts of tests unless they are in the factory in Vietnam. Either way a bushing issue is small as is a few erroneous errors in initial production as they have not learned the best way to build them or find the seconds so a few may go out the door.

·
Registered
738 Posts
A simple answer is that it's not as widespread of an issue... Another easy answer is that there aren't enough in the wild yet for it to be a widespread issue. Or how about there aren't enough forum users that ride these new bikes for it to be blasted all over here. Either way I don't see it as a problem as Yeti is a solid company and I trust they will do right by the owners.

No company is immune from issues. Pretty much every manufacturer has had issues of carbon breakage or linkage problems. This is one reason I have 2 mountain bikes. What matters to me is how the bike rides and if the company is going to treat the owners well. The fact that Yeti has upped their warranty to lifetime says a lot about their commitment.

If the potential of frame issues is a huge turn off, I'd suggest a steel or Ti hardtail its a safer bet. No one says you have to have a Yeti.
Yes a hardtail, comon man that's not what i was saying and you know it. Hard to write something negative about a Yeti on a Yeti forum i know.

I am looking at buying an SB150 and owned a 5.5 for a while. I have not had issues with the other 8 bikes i have owned in the last 2 years.

The only reason this was brought up was because in another thread the 3 guys that have SB150 frames all have the same issue.

It is a cause for concern, that's all.

·
Registered
992 Posts
What happened?? I thought that was a pretty good, fair and rational post outlining what sounded like a pretty poor experience for someone buying a high end bike.
My sentiments exactly. What happened Streetdoctor??

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My intention of starting this thread was to stay informed of any issues with these two new bikes, not trash yeti. It is for people like myself who are trying to decide on a new bike.
So if we can let's get back on topic.

So far is it just the sb150 with reports or is there any reports of these issues with the 130.

If I decide on the yeti after outerbike I will wait till after the new year to build it up just in case there are any revisions to the bikes.

1 - 20 of 1057 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.