Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to pull the trigger on a SB130 frame. Checked all geometry on Yeti site, my bike (Large/20" 2018 Cube Stereo 140) and a Large 2019 Bronson I rode a few weeks back (Bronson also felt a lil big).

Data is telling me that I need a Medium size (below).

Parking lot test on a Large SB130 felt a little on the long side for me (wheelbase felt long, cockpit felt ok), I have heard that the SB130's run large so this makes sense. I want a nice playful feel on this bike and def do not want to be cramped in the cockpit when climbing or sitting down on flat. I have a 50mm stem with 30mm rise bars that will be fitted so that will give me the extra 10mm dif between reach on the SB130 M and Cube Large if I need it.

Problem, no LBS Yeti dealers have a Medium SB130 in stock within 400 miles of me. So I can't ride one.

Clearly when about to drop $6k on a custom build I need to be 100% on the frame size.

Who here is 5'9" with an inseam of 32" and has a SB130? What size are you riding? If you have a Medium how does it feel? Any feedback welcome ;)

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
try to get a measurement at your seat height---seat tip to mid bar
Just using ETT is very risky for you since you cannot ride.
Note that riser bar will decrease this actual fit measurement
Note the steep seat angle will make this actual measurement not grow as a slacker bike will.
I have done this with bikes with the same ETT and have found that a steep seat angle can make near an inch shorter for me at seat height----this was the case with a Pivot T429 and Ripley while the ETT was only 1/4 inch longer on the Pivot.

Given the large felt good sitting I would be very careful not to make a 6K goof

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'm probably not much help but I'm 5-8 with a 30" inseam. I just demo'd a medium 130 last week with a 30mm stem. The bike could not have fit me any better. If you're only 1" taller but have a 2" longer inseam, I'm guessing a medium is going to fit you great. The large was definitely too big.

Not to make your decision any harder but I just rode a medium SB150 on Saturday and while it may climb a touch worse than the 130, it is sooooooo much nicer going down.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
SB130 runs "normal" for 2019, with the reach/wb figures not out of line with the likes of other Offering/Ripmo/Fugitive type bikes etc.

If did feel the med SB130 was too cramped sitting down you could always put a setback post on it to lengthen the ETT without going to a longer stem, I'd think that would probably put the fit pretty close to the Bronson or Cube in your chart, but you'd lose the benefit of the steeper STA.

Maybe try get in touch with the local Yeti "Tribe" and see if anyone has a medium SB130 (or even SB150 as the reach and ETT are pretty much identical) you could have a pedal on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ready to pull the trigger on a SB130 frame. Checked all geometry on Yeti site, my bike (Large/20" 2018 Cube Stereo 140) and a Large 2019 Bronson I rode a few weeks back (Bronson also felt a lil big).

Data is telling me that I need a Medium size (below).

Parking lot test on a Large SB130 felt a little on the long side for me (wheelbase felt long, cockpit felt ok), I have heard that the SB130's run large so this makes sense. I want a nice playful feel on this bike and def do not want to be cramped in the cockpit when climbing or sitting down on flat. I have a 50mm stem with 30mm rise bars that will be fitted so that will give me the extra 10mm dif between reach on the SB130 M and Cube Large if I need it.

Problem, no LBS Yeti dealers have a Medium SB130 in stock within 400 miles of me. So I can't ride one.

Clearly when about to drop $6k on a custom build I need to be 100% on the frame size.

Who here is 5'9" with an inseam of 32" and has a SB130? What size are you riding? If you have a Medium how does it feel? Any feedback welcome ;)

Thanks all!
It would be very helpful in your search if you measure your own reach/wingspan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave, please elaborate on why providing body reach/wingspan will be of benefit. I think you mean that if I can provide length of arms etc. then there maybe someone who is the exact same size as me on here that rides a SB130 Medium that can say 'yeah, you'll be OK on a medium'.

My Cube fits about 95% to an ideal fit for me, trying to get the geo provided from the manufactures to line up the best as possible. SB130 Large is, well, just a lil large for me lol.

Hoping to ride a Medium in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Dave, please elaborate on why providing body reach/wingspan will be of benefit. I think you mean that if I can provide length of arms etc. then there maybe someone who is the exact same size as me on here that rides a SB130 Medium that can say 'yeah, you'll be OK on a medium'.

My Cube fits about 95% to an ideal fit for me, trying to get the geo provided from the manufactures to line up the best as possible. SB130 Large is, well, just a lil large for me lol.

Hoping to ride a Medium in a couple of weeks.
Reach/wingspan would be your measurement from fingertip to fingertip. Some people have a ridiculously long or short reach versus their height, so it skews sizing. Arm length is good too as a measurement, but might be harder to get a good comparison.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reach/wingspan would be your measurement from fingertip to fingertip. Some people have a ridiculously long or short reach versus their height, so it skews sizing. Arm length is good too as a measurement, but might be harder to get a good comparison.
I'll measure later and post my wingspan. Hopefully this helps with feedback people can provide.

Thanks all!!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Fwiw I’m 5’9 3/4” with a 32” pant inseam and I ride a medium SB150 and medium SB100. I wouldn’t want a large SB150 it’s already a lot of bike to throw around and the medium fits me very well. The SB100 I could have gone either way but chose medium and it fits amazingly with a 55mm stem and 760mm flat bars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fwiw I'm 5'9 3/4" with a 32" pant inseam and I ride a medium SB150 and medium SB100. I wouldn't want a large SB150 it's already a lot of bike to throw around and the medium fits me very well. The SB100 I could have gone either way but chose medium and it fits amazingly with a 55mm stem and 760mm flat bars.
Thanks for the info, super helpful. The medium SB130 and medium SB150 have the same reach (460.2) and very similar TTL (~602). I actually sat on the medium SB100 and it felt real nice, could be slightly longer in the cockpit. This led me to think that the medium SB130 could be a great fit for me. Knowing that you have the medium SB100 and the medium SB150 def aid confidence. Most appreciated!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. My crank center to seat rail measurement is 685mm. I run a 40mm stem and 780mm 20mm rise bars.

Medium SB130

Fit is perfect and I wouldn't want to go any longer or shorter

·
Registered
7 Posts
This thread is tremendously helpful. I am 5'10 or just a shade under with a 30 inch inseam. I test rode a Large SB130 on local trails and did a parking lot test on a medium SB100 back in the fall. The SB130 felt good, but very much like a big bike. I don't know how much of that was size and how much of it was, well, because that is how it is intended to feel.

I ended up buying a L SB100. In the months since, I have beaten myself up a bit for not choosing the longer travel. So -- now looking to move the SB100 frame and into an SB130, but won't have chance to ride it in a medium. Trying to sort through the size dilemma again as I move on.

The numbers on the L SB100 are similar in some ways to the M SB130. Part of me thinks it's great to be in-between. Whatever I choose I know I am going to always wonder if I got it right...

·
Registered
2 Posts
SB130 M – 5’10 with +4 ape index and 32 inseam (ape index: wing span – height = ape index)
Setup: Seat back on rails and 50 stem – fits well. The two options (if you’re what you think is between two sizes) is really two different distinct routes and there are tradeoffs 1) size up for stability – gain ETT - lose some playfulness 2) size down for more agile – loose some ETT - loose a bit downhill stability. I really thought I needed a L and almost made that slightly wrong decision (for me). With my extra long monkey arms, I could have gone to L and been stoked, but on test ride it felt a bit long and cumbersome when I was off the back trying to manual or bunny hop (both I’m constantly working on…although this is the first bike I can actually manual more than 5-10 feet). The M on the other hand was much more centered feeling when trying to test skills. The L was very stable on the down chunky though…and if I lived close to an area with enduro style trails with drops 4’+ I would have gone L. I’m in AZ phx area and the trails are fast, loose, rocky and unforgiving but not huge elevation and so the 130 M is money for me.
I remember on the first test ride right away thinking that the M felt like a 650, a bit more compact, in the bike feel and that stuck with me, where the L felt like a big 29er and I was on the bike. If you’re more in the “size up” category, then just make sure the dropper you want to use will work at full extension as it may have to be slammed to the collar. For us hard to fit folks, you can’t really go wrong with either…L w/shorter stem and seat more forward…M w/longer stem and seat back…which is better is personal preference. For the OP, IMHO I would go M. RideOn!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The two options (if you're what you think is between two sizes) is really two different distinct routes and there are tradeoffs 1) size up for stability - gain ETT - lose some playfulness 2) size down for more agile - loose some ETT - loose a bit downhill stability.
Totally this!

IMO

Im 5"8 and medium is great. I have a longish torso
If I was 5"9 I think I could run a large for stabilty but med would probably still be better overall.
If I was 5"10 you could deffo go either way but probably large would be better
If I was 5"11 - large only

Reach has changed so much with recent bikes I always measure up against TT lengths that ive been comfy on in the past and baseline from that. 600 - 620 is the range that always suits. I actaully find the tt on the yeti fairly tight

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:
Rode a Large and a Medium over the weekend. Took the medium out 1st then the large and then the medium again. The Medium is def the best fit for me. Super playful compared to the large however pointing straight downhill the large would be great. I'll not be doing too much crazy downhill other than a bike park visit once month maybe. Looking at a custom build with a 160mm fork the front so for my needs a medium will be great!

Thanks all for the feedback, most appreciated

Also shoutout to Phat Tire bike shop in Bentonville AK. https://www.phattirebikeshop.com
Great service. Rode a Santa Cruz 5010 all weekend and it was a super fun bike. Decisions... haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool. So the Large 5010 felt similarly comfortable to the Medium SB130? My wife rides a medium 5010 and it feels a little small to me...

Nowhere around for me to demo a medium Yeti.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.