Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had both or ridden both extensively enough to comment on the difference in pedaling efficiency of the two?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone had both or ridden both extensively enough to comment on the difference in pedaling efficiency of the two?
They are very close. I think with both bikes, it depends on how you set them up. They can both be set up XCish with light tires, light wheels, no dropper and a light fork (Sid/step cast). You can also set them both up as an all mountain bike with a longer travel fork and beefier tires. The big advantage of the 115 is the updated mounting of the switch infinity. My SB 100 became loose often and the 115 has been great in that regard. Both can be super stiff with a bit more air pressure too. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I own an SB100 and recently put about 25 miles on a demo 115. The 100 has a firm fox compression tune along with the overall lighter spec means the 100 has the advantage in terms of efficiency.

Is it night and day? No. Noticable? Definitely

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Our family own both, and I have about 2000 miles on the SB100 and 600 miles on the SB115. I don’t think there’s any difference in the pedaling efficiency per say. The switch infinity makes them both very stable (no bob) when hammering out of the saddle up hill. I do believe the 115 is a little more plush, especially going down hill. FWIW, I use(d) a 120 SC fork on both, I didn’t like the change to the 130 fork on the 115. I didn’t think it climbed as well for my trails/terrain. They are both rocket ships though for speed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The 115 has the same shock length but uses the full 45mm stroke instead of the 37.5mm on the SB100.

Naturally, you’d need more air and pressure for the short stroke SB100 to achieve desired sag. The 115 would need less air to achieve the same sag number.

Kinematically, the bikes should be close to identical. But on a 115, the longer a longer stroke shock and longer fork would make it more plush and the 100. The 115 would pedal less efficiently by virtue of having a more plush suspension.

You can, of course, run less sag on the 115 to make it ‘feel’ like the 100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts