Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve narrowed my search to a SB100 or a Santa Cruz Blur. I want to start XC racing I have my sights set on the BC Bike race and other stuff like the Downieville Classic. Is the SB100 a true XC bike? Looking at the geo and components it looks like a trail bike with the fox 34 dropper post and 2.3 tires. Just looking for some input on some guys that have raced it

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you want to do B.C. bike race, you don’t want a “true xc race bike.” When I think of that, I think carbon hardtail with 100 fork. The 100 strikes me as a burly xc bike...which would be a good choice for something like BCBR (even though I’d personally want a bit more travel - having done it a couple times. Doesn’t Kabush ride one in BCBR?

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I have a well built SB100. I love it. I race it. I don't think I would call it a "true" XC race bike. But I don't care. Don't earn a living racing. Earn smiles.
^^Same.

I was also searching for a bike for the BCBR, stage and marathon events, and 12/24-hour solo racing. I also narrowed it down to the SB100 or the Blur TR, and went with the SB100 because of how it felt in the cockpit, the fact that it was slightly burlier than the Blur, and because I hated the dual remote lockouts on the Blur (I love the 3-pos manual levers on the 100).

I can race it, or I can use it as my do-just-about-everything trail bike. It's a perfect blend, IMO.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I race XC on my SB100. My build is somewhere in the 24 pound range.

Can't imagine that the Blur is going to be noticeably faster in any particular way (other than personal preference for suspension kinematics and dual lockout)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
I've narrowed my search to a SB100 or a Santa Cruz Blur. I want to start XC racing I have my sights set on the BC Bike race and other stuff like the Downieville Classic. Is the SB100 a true XC bike? Looking at the geo and components it looks like a trail bike with the fox 34 dropper post and 2.3 tires. Just looking for some input on some guys that have raced it
It's not going to make a difference unless you are in the Pro class.

No, it's not as aggressive at XC (being lightweight with steeper angles for quick handling) as some other bikes, but it won't hinder you from getting to top 10 expert/cat 1 finishes. The parts and bike start to make a big difference only when you are a top performer. No one wants to push a 35lb bike in a race either, but your fitness and capability is going to have a far greater effect than that 10lb of bike weight. It won't hold you back. It wouldn't hold me back racing cat 1, it wouldn't hold back any of our local experts/pro racers (some of them are on it). If you are getting a bike JUST for racing, well maybe go for the most XC-race-ish, but otherwise, get the bike you want that you think you will have the most use for. You are splitting hairs if you are just getting into racing.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Just wanted to point out that this frame (Pivot Mach 4 SL) weighs the same as the black Yeti for this fast race bike.
I'm not sure about that. I've seen claims of 4.5-5 pounds all over for the Mach 4SL and the SB100 is widely regarded as being about 5.5 pounds. From the evidence I've gathered it appears the Pivot is about a half-pound lighter at a given size. It seems the 429SL was closer to the SB100's weight. Maybe I'm wrong?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
I'm not sure about that. I've seen claims of 4.5-5 pounds all over for the Mach 4SL and the SB100 is widely regarded as being about 5.5 pounds. From the evidence I've gathered it appears the Pivot is about a half-pound lighter at a given size. It seems the 429SL was closer to the SB100's weight. Maybe I'm wrong?
The Pivot is as you would expect, not as light as the single pivot linkage bikes that do not have a rear pivot. Scotts and others are a good bit lighter. It doesn't appear that the Mach 4 SL is lighter than the 429 SL that it replaced.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Not sure where you've seen those weight claims, but it's not in the Mach 4 SL thread. There's an XL frame weighed with the lock out lever/cables at 5.84 pounds. The black L SB100 weighs 5.6 pounds, so yes there weights are similar.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a Blur TR Reserve that i replaced the dropper post with a Thomson, put Santa Cruz risers on with a Race Face stem and changed tires to Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron. Everything is as it came. With Candy 3 pedals it comes in at 24 lbs un a size XL.

I demoed a Yeti SB100 with dropper post, totally stock tires and all weighed in at 28lbs.

Even though the Blur is noticeably lighter, the yeti is faster even with the more aggressive tires. I rode my Blur after the SB100 and realized that the SB100 is going faster than I realized in most terrain simply because it's way smoother so you don't realise how fast you're going.

As a side note, i have a tallboy 3 and tried a 4.5 which was way better on the rough terrain than the tallboy but the Tallboy pedals way better than the 4.5 to me whereas the SB100 gives nothing up to the Blur in pedaling. Sb100 seems to respond to the lightest of pedal forces where the 4.5 seemed to like to be spun more. Not sure if this makes sense just something that you have to experience to feel i guess.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Blur TR Reserve that i replaced the dropper post with a Thomson, put Santa Cruz risers on with a Race Face stem and changed tires to Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron. Everything is as it came. With Candy 3 pedals it comes in at 24 lbs un a size XL.

I demoed a Yeti SB100 with dropper post, totally stock tires and all weighed in at 28lbs.

Even though the Blur is noticeably lighter, the yeti is faster even with the more aggressive tires. I rode my Blur after the SB100 and realized that the SB100 is going faster than I realized in most terrain simply because it's way smoother so you don't realise how fast you're going.

As a side note, i have a tallboy 3 and tried a 4.5 which was way better on the rough terrain than the tallboy but the Tallboy pedals way better than the 4.5 to me whereas the SB100 gives nothing up to the Blur in pedaling. Sb100 seems to respond to the lightest of pedal forces where the 4.5 seemed to like to be spun more. Not sure if this makes sense just something that you have to experience to feel i guess.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Very easy to knock that 28lbs down. Wheels and tires!

I've had a 4.5 and now an sb100. I think they're similar when sitting and spinning, but the sb100 does feel more responsive when sprinting out of the saddle. One or two pedal strokes out of a turn and it's moving fast. Maybe that's what you mean?

·
XSEAL
131 Posts

k
My SB100 is an XL and though well built its not built for weight with 30mm ID rims, 2.4 tires (Bonty XR4/3) and dual pot/Guide brakes. It came in at/just under 25 lbs.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Very easy to knock that 28lbs down. Wheels and tires!

I've had a 4.5 and now an sb100. I think they're similar when sitting and spinning, but the sb100 does feel more responsive when sprinting out of the saddle. One or two pedal strokes out of a turn and it's moving fast. Maybe that's what you mean?
I've got an SB100, and chose it over the Blur TR, and feel that it's a rocket. I am used to SS'ing and HT's, and the Yeti feels very similar when I lock it out, and super responsive and efficient even when in Trail or Open modes. I have put alot of miles, and some long, hard rides on it in 1.5 months, and I am extremely happy with it as a 12/24-hour, marathon and stage racing machine.

My SB100 is a Turq XO1 build, that I've currently got at 26.20 lbs, including pedals (heavier M9120's), heavier Ergon GS1 grips, bottle cage, mount for pump and Garmin mount. That is with a carbon wheelset (30mm Chinese carbon rims, Reynolds hubs), with Rekon 2.4 WT tires. For racing, I'll swap out the pedals for M9100's (which I have on my SS) and the tires for Ikon 2.35's, which will put it in the low-25's. I could easily get it into the 24's, by swapping out the brakes and seat, but I'm happy with it as-is.

I should also note a few other changes I made to get the weight down:
- XG-1295 cassette for the stock 1275
- Bike Yoke Devine SL 80mm dropper for the stock Fox Transfer 150mm
- Rekons as noted above for the stock (heavy) tires

The bike feels solid as hell, and is stable and confidence-inspiring in the chunk, yet takes off when you put the spurs to it. Exactly what I was looking for.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
This is a great observation, also what I noticed from riding the SB100 and Blur back to back. The Blur is "slightly" lighter, but noticeably less smooth-riding. You feel everything more, which is not surprising based on lighter, less-burly(ish) design and build of the Blur.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.