Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lusting over a left over 2018 SB100 in my lbs. After some research, I have some concerns about the linkage problems, creaking and overall longevity. Not looking for problems.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I am lusting over a left over 2018 SB100 in my lbs. After some research, I have some concerns about the linkage problems, creaking and overall longevity. Not looking for problems.
Blown WAAAY out of proportion....nothing more to say really. Are you buying with a warranty? If so, don't worry about it. Mine has had zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
^^ Maybe, but based of my experience with every single person I know with one having had issues within short time periods of ownership, I would carefully consider the following:

Do you have another bike you enjoy? Are you relying on this bike for trips/events? Does your local shop stock spare parts and have a good service department?

Stuff to consider with every bike you buy, but definitely with any of the SBxxx bikes. They ride sweet though no doubt! Finally, Yeti's seem to have amazing resale value, if you do have problems and aren't in love with it, just wait till you inevitably warranty the frame and then sell it off!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ Maybe, but based of my experience with every single person I know with one having had issues within short time periods of ownership, I would carefully consider the following:

Do you have another bike you enjoy? Are you relying on this bike for trips/events? Does your local shop stock spare parts and have a good service department?

Stuff to consider with every bike you buy, but definitely with any of the SBxxx bikes. They ride sweet though no doubt! Finally, Yeti's seem to have amazing resale value, if you do have problems and aren't in love with it, just wait till you inevitably warranty the frame and then sell it off!
IMHO, they are not amazing enough to plan for all that just to own a Yeti.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Blown WAAAY out of proportion....nothing more to say really. Are you buying with a warranty? If so, don't worry about it. Mine has had zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Agreed. Mine has just been amazing. No problems at all. It's my only MTB now and i ride the hell out of it. So addictively fast. Came from V1 and V2 Followings before this and for me this just rides so much better for the type of tight technical single track I love to ride. A weapon.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Does it have the original SI or did it get swapped to the new one? If it's the new one, ride it and see if you like the way it feels (flexy or not). If you do, get it and always make sure the bolts are tight or get them locked down and you should be good to go. Mine felt like crap with the upgrade so I put the old one from my wife's bike in and it's a different (better) bike, if a little less quiet. It's a shame they couldn't find a way to make the original SI work without creaking.

·
Registered
212 Posts
fingers crossed that I get a good one. Just sold both my santa cruz bikes to build up a new sb100 frame from scratch so will have to wait and see

·
Registered
131 Posts
New to the forum and have a SB140 T1, which I was thinking of complementing with a SB100. Does anyone know or have pictures of what the current SI linkage is (is it the 4 bolts or did they figure another way to remove creaking without flex). I'm relatively light so maybe not an issue for me and can't say I noticed flex when I demoed one in Golden (but I was also just trying to hold on a lot of the time too or had my lungs exploding from altitude).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.