Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time assembling my CK Dropset 1 to my SB100 frame. There is no chance getting rid of the huge gap between the frame and headset. Anyone with similar experience?

Cheers!

I Black Bottle Cylinder Material property Gas

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
I just did the very same thing last night. Same headset; Same black frame. Although I'll admit I machined up a special headset adjuster. But before I did that I was seeing a bigger gap than that. My first thought was something was wrong. But when I cinched it all up it ended up being close to the frame.

Check for any irregularities in the upper headset seating area.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Bottom bearing is tapered and only should go in with tapered part up.. .

Do you have enough steertube or spacers to cinch down correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bottom bearing is tapered and only should go in with tapered part up.. .

Do you have enough steertube or spacers to cinch down correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The bottom bearing goes in fine. It's the top that's too tight. It sits a little above the frame.

I called Yeti and they're aware of this issue. They say the Chris King headset doesn't fit especially well on the SB100, and suggested going with the Cane Creek.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The bottom bearing goes in fine. It's the top that's too tight. It sits a little above the frame.

I called Yeti and they're aware of this issue. They say the Chris King headset doesn't fit especially well on the SB100, and suggested going with the Cane Creek.
Well this sucks. Cane Creek 40 bearings are terrible. The lower bearing on my rusted and seized itself to the frame. Luckily, I was able to get it out without damage and 'rebuild' it. But it's a temporary solution for now. I was looking at the CK headset to replace the CC40.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
so who is not following the specs here? I thought everything had strict specs to be followed, or this is just like bb cups that can be a little wider and get contact by the swingarm?

any idea if this is an issue for the sb130/150?

also I see several Yeti builds including many sb100 with ck headset on probikesupply instagram. not sure what is the issue or why yeti is saying it doesn't work well.

·
Banned
895 Posts
The upper head set has a lock ring and it needs to be pushed down on the steering tube while holding the fork. This should bring it down anther mm or so, along with tightening the top cap 3nm. A business card fits tight in the gap on mine.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The upper head set has a lock ring and it needs to be pushed down on the steering tube while holding the fork. This should bring it down anther mm or so, along with tightening the top cap 3nm. A business card fits tight in the gap on mine.
I think overall this is pretty accurate. Most of the gap came out of mine once I've cinched everything down.
There's still more of a gap than with the CK InSets I've run, where it sits flush against the frame.
I would not say a business car "fits tight" in the gap but there's not a ton of room:

Teal Aqua Turquoise Cobalt blue Electric blue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not get it to fit very well. It looked kinda silly having a expensive CK headset with a huge gap ready to suck in dirt and water.

My solution: I kept the CK bottom part and used a CC40 top part. The CC40 fits 100%, no gap at all, so it is clear to me that CK is the one not following the standard spec.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had exactly this issue on my Ritchey 650b frame. Cane creek 40 lower bearing completely seized into the lower cup (getting it out was nightmare) and now the CK with a 1mm+ gap at the top.

While I'm figuring out what to do long term I've got the CK bottom half installed and the CC upper half installed. It's all working fine but seems a real shame to have spent a small fortune on the CK headset and not even be able to show off the "bling".

·
Registered
201 Posts
My solution: I kept the CK bottom part and used a CC40 top part. The CC40 fits 100%, no gap at all, so it is clear to me that CK is the one not following the standard spec.

Cheers!
When i moved most of the parts i had on my former SB100 over to my Santa Cruz Chameleon C frameset, the CK DropSet fited perfect.
I also use a CK DropSet on my SB150, no problem there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.