Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded from a Rock Shox Psylo SL to a Manitou Sherman Firefly on my TALAS shock equipped SB. The change was a HUGE improvement in ride, control and stability. I'm very pleased with my purchase but am wondering what everyone else uses? Is there something else that would have gone better with the bike?

I currently ride X-C stuff with a few decent jumps and normal trail style down hill (no 'hucking') and weight 215 lbs... the SB is a 03 model with the long travel rear suspension.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,731 Posts
I run a Minute 2...

Flyinturbo said:
I recently upgraded from a Rock Shox Psylo SL to a Manitou Sherman Firefly on my TALAS shock equipped SB. The change was a HUGE improvement in ride, control and stability. I'm very pleased with my purchase but am wondering what everyone else uses? Is there something else that would have gone better with the bike?

I currently ride X-C stuff with a few decent jumps and normal trail style down hill (no 'hucking') and weight 215 lbs... the SB is a 03 model with the long travel rear suspension.
...mine's an '03 SB with the 5.25" links and a PUSH-modded Float R. I really like the feel of the Manitou over the previous TALAS R.

Tommy

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also had a Psylo originally and it just didn't balance well with the weight biasing towards the front (probably cause of air vs spring). I have Talas' on both ends of my 04 SB now and love it alot cause of the balanced and confident feel. Whatever it is, I say if you like it, stick to it and get to know it well so you can hone the riding skills. Otherwise, I'm finding that I have to relearn everything everytime I swap out a major component!

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
Flyinturbo said:
I recently upgraded from a Rock Shox Psylo SL to a Manitou Sherman Firefly.
Same here. Huge improvement, balances well with the 5.7" linkage I use. The difference in quality of travel is really amazing, I'm not exaggerating when I say that the Firefly immediately made me faster on the downhills. Uphill...well, I was never fast on those anyway.

My only complaint is that at almost standstill speeds the fork is too plush, which can suck when I have to pause on some sections, like halfway through a rock garden. But I'm also on the stock spring, which is likely the reason. It never bottoms out though.

·
safety first
67 Posts
I just recently went from the psylo to an 04' firefly, the difference is amazing. the psylo was junk compared to this. If you have the 04' firefly try putting more air in it or adjusting the spv part of it. I'm about 140 and run about 35psi in it and it isn't to soft.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
2003 Z1 Fr Qr20

I put a 2003 Marzocchi Z1 with 20mm axle on my 2002 SB long-travel. The Z1 is a tank, but it rides like butter and it would be hard to go back to a 6" rotor now that I've been spoiled by the 8".

I talked with Titus on the phone and they said that the Maverick Dual Crown would not void the warranty on the SB, so that is my current fantasy fork. (They did warn me that damage to the top-tube from over-rotation of a dual-crown would not be covered.)

-Tony

·
Registered
333 Posts
2002- Long Travel w/2003 Z1QR20 w/8 rotor too!

Tony said:
I put a 2003 Marzocchi Z1 with 20mm axle on my 2002 SB long-travel. The Z1 is a tank, but it rides like butter and it would be hard to go back to a 6" rotor now that I've been spoiled by the 8".

-Tony
Dude, our bikes are clones! You're right about the Z1 being a tank!!! Amazingly the bike still climbs very well. Side note: I dropped off my fox float at Push for the platform upgrade yesterday.

later

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
mtbski said:
Dude, our bikes are clones! You're right about the Z1 being a tank!!! Amazingly the bike still climbs very well. Side note: I dropped off my fox float at Push for the platform upgrade yesterday.

later
Heh, we seem to have similar ideas about the SB, I just put an RP3 on mine. I've been very impressed so far, but need a few more rides before I can give a real review. Titus messed up a bit though because they told me it would fit with the 5.7" links, and it doesn't quite fit. There is a flare at the bottom of the RP3 and it is just wide enough to hit the links. I spaced the links out by about 2mm on each side to make it fit. I had to get longer bolts, but overall it seems to work fine. I need to contact Fox to see if they make compatible, but longer spacers.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
I ride a medium frame with a Thomson set-back post and a 90mm 0-degree stem with a 2" riser bar. I'm 5'10" with short legs and a long torso. WIth the seat almost all the way back, it is a roomy cockpit. Climbing is impacted, but with ETA cinched down to 1" travel and the weight of the Z1 holding down the front, I can still climb just about anything. I also find that the new RP3 shock in "firm" mode helps keep the front end down as well since the bike doesn't sag into the travel and rock back as much on super-steeps.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
Loudpawlz said:
Are you still using stretched out XC cockpit or have you shortened up your reach for more of FR/DH setup?

I'm still tweaking my bike and will be installing the long travel kit here shortly.
120mm stem for me, and I definitely would need a larger frame if I wanted to go shorter. I'm 6' even, and my '02 SB has a 23" TT. I'll probably go for a large if I buy a Supermoto, then I could comfortably run a 100mm stem. I originally wanted to run a 110mm on my SB but it was too cramped. As it is I am not stretched like on my more XC-oriented bikes. A bit more upright and relaxed.

My seat is not as far back as it can go by any means, but it's at the correct location relative to my feet.

You'll have to spend some time experimenting with different setups to find what works best. Sometimes you can find cheapo stems for $3-5 online, which is nice for testing. A friend of mine recently bought four generic stems in different lengths and rises, which really helped him dial in the perfect setup.

·
Registered
185 Posts
TALAS, front and rear.

My '04 SB has TALAS fork and shock. The adjustability is what originally attracted me to this setup but I wasn't sure how much I'd actually use it. After a couple of months on it, I find that I usually climb with the rear on the 4.5" setting and the fork all the way down to 85mm. Then I open 'em both up (5.5", 125mm) goin' down. The change in the geometry when I lower and raise the fork travel is quite noticable. I also notice that I have to stop and pick up the front wheel when changing from 85 to 125 mm travel to let the fork expand.

With Juicy 7's and Mavic 819 tubeless, it's about 30 lbs, a little heavy but it climbs well and, of course, the downhill is a dream.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SW Fork

Flyinturbo said:
I'm very pleased with my purchase but am wondering what everyone else uses?
You made a fine choice, that fork looks sweet, I never rode one.

I have a 2005 FOX F100X, with the long travel FOX Float RP3 in the back. Quite frankley I bought the fork for another bike, and was going to put my 2004 TALAS on the front, but the friggin F100X works so darn good for the way I ride, I'm leaving it as is and I will give up the xtra travel. Or I may go get the Stratus ID cartridge for the TALAS and put that on there and have the best of both worlds......(but I don't have any money right now and would like to see more reviews of the Stratos ID).....

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
RP3 only fits inverted on '02

I can't run the shock right-side up with my frame. I am 220 + gear. I have it set to 220lbs now, but I think I need to bump it up just a tad. I'm very happy with the way it rides, but I wish that instead of -, 0, +, the pro-pedal damping was 0, +, ++.... maybe I can send it back to Fox or Push someday.

So, for Colorado rocky singletrack I'm running my body weight with the rebound damping 4 clicks in from full-fast. I climb in "+" and descend in "0".

Here is the best of the crappy pics I just took. You can see the mounting holes I'm using and the big-a hex-head bolts. In the second pic, you can see the washers that I'm using to space out the links. With 2 washers on each side, I now have a bit less than 1mm clearance on each side of the flared portion of the RP3.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stratos ID cartridge

I assume you saw the reveiw on the Stratos ID in MBA? It looks like a great product. An ID'd TALAS would be a nice setup. I'm tempted too. Anybody else (other than the MBA crew) ridden one? I suppose it'd be worth the $250 to try it. If I don't like it I could probably sell it pretty easy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stratos ID

dangerDan said:
I assume you saw the reveiw on the Stratos ID in MBA? It looks like a great product. An ID'd TALAS would be a nice setup. I'm tempted too. Anybody else (other than the MBA crew) ridden one? I suppose it'd be worth the $250 to try it. If I don't like it I could probably sell it pretty easy.
I did, and I am eventually getting one. If it doesn't work out you know where to post the sale sign ;-)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts