Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick one up, but unsure of sizing. The tallboy mediums are too small for me. A large with a 70-80mm stem fit good. I fit well on 18" Konas (23.5" tt), as I have a Unit with a 90mm stem. I do not want to go any longer than a 90mm stem either. Prefer shorter. Also using 711mm bars. Hopefully this is decent background info.

I would like to hear feedback from people in my height range as to what size they are on and setups. Thanks for the help on this.

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
Seems like for your size you should have been testing the Large tallboy, seems like the TT would have been a better fit.

FWIW, I'm 5' 9", with 32" inseam, happily logging major miles on a large SB-95 with stock 90mm stem.

My bike setup is

- saddle centered on post, top of saddle about 28" from crank spindle
- stem flipped, one 20mm spacer between stem and headset
- fork set at 140mm stroke
- stock haven h-bars, uncut

When I received the bike the fork was at 120, I pulled the spacer to play with the travel a bit but also to tune the bike geometry. Slackening the HTA and STA, pulling a 20mm spacer from under the stem and putting it on top (leaving the remaining 20mm spacer), solved a lower back issue I was having on longer rides (over 20 trail miles / over 4 hours) by adding a little more distance from saddle to h-bar.

The bike still rails on the DH, supah fun in the chunk and technical stuff.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always been a little cramped on Santa Cruz. I had a few super lights over the years and always went medium. It seems as though most companies are going to a 23" tt for their medium bikes, 17". Id say that I would definitely need to test ride a large sb before committing. I do know that I'm a medium on an sb66, so would that follow suit on the 95? Thanks for the detailed feedback, Bear.

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
Sizing from SB66 to SB95 is different, basically the SB95 ends up for some reason "smaller" - like I was sized at University Cycles on an SB66 and the Medium would definitely be appropriate, but the SB95 Large fits me better (and with over 300 trail miles on one now I can safely say the Medium SB95 would be waaay-small for me).

The geometry/cockpit is just different on the two bikes. *shrug*

go ride em if you can!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Sizing from SB66 to SB95 is different, basically the SB95 ends up for some reason "smaller" ...The geometry/cockpit is just different on the two bikes. *shrug*
I agree that the cockpit is smaller on the SB95, but I think it should be and there are multiple reasons for the difference. I'm 5'9" (maybe 5'9.5") and riding a medium SB66 with a 50mm stem, 770mm bar, and zero offset seatpost. I'm getting a medium SB95 and I'll run it with a 70mm stem and same setup otherwise. That will give me roughly the same cockpit as the SB-66 and keep the wheelbase in check. The large wheelbase at 46" (46.3" with a 140mm fork) is just too long for someone my size. That's as long as my DH bike and over a half-inch longer than my medium SB-66. The sizing difference between the 95 and 66 comes down to that IMO, trying to keep the 95 in check and still maneuverable. For reference I am coming off of a medium SC Tallboy and the fit there was good as well.

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
My perspectives are skewed, the 46.3 WB doesn't seem to bother me. I don't feel like I suck any more at tight high-speed cornering than on either my MCR-9 or my Titus Super-Moto (in AM mode). But maybe I do and I don't know it. We'll see. ;^)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My perspectives are skewed, the 46.3 WB doesn't seem to bother me.
I don't discredit your size choice at all considering you've had the bike for a while now and it is working out well for you. If I had a long reach due to either a lot of torso or long arms then I might consider a large as well, but I have long legs (33" inseam) and a pretty normal torso length + short arms.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that the cockpit is smaller on the SB95, but I think it should be and there are multiple reasons for the difference. I'm 5'9" (maybe 5'9.5") and riding a medium SB66 with a 50mm stem, 770mm bar, and zero offset seatpost. I'm getting a medium SB95 and I'll run it with a 70mm stem and same setup otherwise. That will give me roughly the same cockpit as the SB-66 and keep the wheelbase in check. The large wheelbase at 46" (46.3" with a 140mm fork) is just too long for someone my size. That's as long as my DH bike and over a half-inch longer than my medium SB-66. The sizing difference between the 95 and 66 comes down to that IMO, trying to keep the 95 in check and still maneuverable. For reference I am coming off of a medium SC Tallboy and the fit there was good as well.
That is what concerns me. I'm a bit cramped on a medium tallboy. I tried one with a 90mm stem with the seat pushed back, and it was still tight. The large felt better. A large sb has a monster wb for my taste too. I think it all comes down to demo'ing a bike. I think the sb has a more slack sa than the tallboy, so that may help out too.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do any of you have any riding and/or side profile pics of your bikes? Riding shots put things into perspective.

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
I have a dismal amount of in-ride photography since I got mine. I'll try to rectify that this weekend, we'll see what happens.

My for-trail-use camera broke in a fall about six months ago, makes it more difficult because I actually have to get people to SEND me the pictures they take.

Friend got a pic of me on Wed evening - didn't know I should have dressed the part - but it's almost sideways on. Either way, I'm seated, both hands on the bars, one leg at almost full extension, so you can see how the bike fits, mostly.

reminder. I'm 5' 9", 32" pants inseam, bike is Large, with stock 90mm stem flipped downwards, one thick spacer (20mm?) between stem and headset.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go with the medium. I'm 5'10" and some change with a 34" inseam, short torso. I'm riding a medium (lot of post out) with a 70 mm stem and it fits great. The stock 90 mm stem was fine, but i wanted to be able to play a little harder on this thing. The wheelbase is quite long, so i can't imagine riding a large even with a very short stem.

Even with the 70, i can get stretched out for the climbs. I rode alpine trail last week in oakridge (4200 ft of climbing/descending over 30 miles), and i didn't feel cramped. Just remember that the SB isn't supposed to fit like an xc race whip!

·
Dab-O-Matic
1,051 Posts
Regarding sizing, I'm 5'10"- 175# of fat, and I have been riding a large Sultan. The large Sultan dimensions specs out somewhere between a medium SB-95 and a large.
For me the Sultan has always seemed less nimble than my medium 575, which is normal I'd think.
What size would you recommend for AM use? Any ex Sultan users here? :)

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
I have no issues riding "AM" - whatever that is, but I know it includes skinnies, drops, jumps, and rock work - on my large SB and i'm "only" 5' 9" - and my pants inseam is 32" - but more and more I feel like an anomaly on sizing.

What size stem do you have on your Sultan? If had a sultan it's probably be a large too, but I'd need a 100 or 110 stem to make the fit work. I am using the stock 90mm stem on the SB.

·
Dab-O-Matic
1,051 Posts
I have no issues riding "AM" - whatever that is, but I know it includes skinnies, drops, jumps, and rock work - on my large SB and i'm "only" 5' 9" - and my pants inseam is 32" - but more and more I feel like an anomaly on sizing.

What size stem do you have on your Sultan? If had a sultan it's probably be a large too, but I'd need a 100 or 110 stem to make the fit work. I am using the stock 90mm stem on the SB.
AM.... All mountain, probably what you described your riding as like.

I too have a 90mm stem on the Sultan. Not that it's ideal it's just what came on it and I got used to it. The cockpit "feels" fine, it's just the longer WB sometimes feels awkward in tight twisties.

·
Chilling out
6,029 Posts
The Sultan's rear triangle is ~3/4" longer than the SB's, no clue what the overall wheelbase is though.

The SB's w/120 fork lists at 44.9" for a medium and 46" for a large (which agrees with how mine measures, fyi). But with more of the wheelbase in front of the BB it's easier to "feel nimble" since you're not cutting the corners as much with the rear wheel.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
The wheelbase on my 2011 Sultan with a 140mm Fox34 is right around 46". As Bear said, the wheelbases for the Large SB and Large Sultan are VERY close but the rear end of the SB is much shorter and the rider sits over the rear wheel more. The "truck" feeling I get with my Sultan comes from dragging the rear end around everywhere I ride but that won't be an issue with the SB;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts