Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
omfg wtf?!?

STRASBOURG, France -- The Tour de France was stripped of three of its biggest names on Friday after Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo were named in a doping investigation in Spain.

This absolutely sucks. Why not wait till PROVEN guilty?

·
Registered
334 Posts
mtn hack said:
STRASBOURG, France -- The Tour de France was stripped of three of its biggest names on Friday after Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo were named in a doping investigation in Spain.

Its completely disappointing!!! :mad:

I think that they have to have trials before they would let them race. The race would be over before this would all come to an end.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Imagine if

Imagine if the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB leagues were half as serious as UCI when it comes to cheaters.

The best good I can think of, is that perhaps cycling could be the first clean and regulated sport.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
mtn hack said:
It is quite possible now that the US have 3 in the top 5. The bad is even if it happens, it is forever tainted.
agreed, and if Floyd or George win, they will certainly have this diminish their win, cause they will always say that won against a field missing some of the top prospects.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
mtn hack said:
Their team's suspended them, not the Tour. So obviously they felt there was some serious evidence that would warrant a suspension. The reports I've read are their teams have reported there is serious evidence and now the riders have to prove their innocence.

This is a crazy turn.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This is too much of a common place these days

ARG!! :madman: Why can't ATHLETES SHOW UP AND COMPETE AS PURE ATHLETES?? No one tell me because they gotta dope to keep up with other dopers. What is wrong with us and ALL of these pro sports?? Babies, guess I have lost interest in watching millionaires (and bikers, yes I know they don't make a ball player's wage) act like babies (sorry, now I am offending babies) while trying to play their various sports. Guess I'll just keep riding when these events take place...then at least one athlete will be getting stronger the natural way...BY RIDING MY BIKE...PERIOD. Who even cares anymore?? I (unfortunately) sure don't...Truly sad.

·
Registered
938 Posts
miSSionary said:
ARG!! :madman: Why can't ATHLETES SHOW UP AND COMPETE AS PURE ATHLETES??
It's the money. Hey, I can't honestly say that if juicing a little wouldn't add 30-40 miles an hour on my fastball, and guarantee me $5-10 million per year in salary, that I wouldn't push the plunger. Shoot, you may only have to do it a year or two to get a massive payday. There's a hell of a lot of money to be earned in professional sports, that most athletes would never see if they couldn't compete at the highest levels. I understand why it happens, not that I really like it. Lance has been hauling in ~$30 million/year the last few years in endorsements. That's what winning the TdF a few times can do for you. Now that he's out of the way, I'm not surprised that all of the contenders are looking for a little something extra (assuming that they haven't always been).

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Society bought this

We live in a pharmaceutical society full of grey areas.

After a hard stage in the tour, it is accepted that a rider will take a massage. Is it OK if the massage cream has an analgesic? How about popping an ibuprofen? An expresso before the stage? A Red Bull? All are forms of doping.

How about everyday people? If that truck driver stays awake by popping pills, and thus avoids killing someone, is this a bad thing? What about a surgeon who takes Ritalin to be able to concentrate on the surgery at hand? Antidepressants?

A line has to be drawn, but anywhere the line is drawn, there will be attempts to go outside to gain an extra edge. If people are made guilty by association, then everyone is at risk. Maybe there is some concrete evidence not known to the public, but what has been made public is a paper trail written in code. To destroy an athlete based on what is basically heresay is criminal in itself, IMHO.

Kudos to the riders who have remained within the measurements. Or to their doctors, at least.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
what about the former mountain biker?

What was the guys name that took the polka dot jersey last year. I beleive he was a former mountain biker. I think he has a chance, you know how the guys who are big climbers usually finish on top.

I really didn't have much hope for Ullrich anyway.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
ibexmsu said:
What was the guys name that took the polka dot jersey last year. I beleive he was a former mountain biker. I think he has a chance, you know how the guys who are big climbers usually finish on top.

Michael Rasmussen '99 World Champ. Good climber. Poor TTer. Not a very strong team.

This course is a TTers heaven. Ullrich had a good shot at winning. Too bad we will never know. This was going to be one of the best races in while.

Whoever wins will be known as the guy that won when everyone was kicked out. With a new generation, that will be forgotten. Can you look at a list of past winners and name the intricacies of who was there and who wasn't? Most people can't. Can you name a contender that was removed in '98?

At least I get to race this weekend. I'll be sportin my Dopers Suck socks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
ibexmsu said:

Are you talking about Michael Rassmussen? Or Cadel Evans...I can't remember which one won the climber's jersey last year, but both or ex mountain bikers.

This doping stuff sucks for sure. Go gett'em Georgie!!!

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
btadlock said:
agreed, and if Floyd or George win, they will certainly have this diminish their win, cause they will always say that won against a field missing some of the top prospects.
Not when the top prospects have to cheat to be the top . Looks like maybe floyd or george are really the top athletes here. Friggin euro trash.

·
2,856 Posts
Vino's now out too..

Astaná-Würth now out of Tour
By Charles Pelkey
Editor, VeloNews.com
This report filed June 30, 2006

The Astaná-Würth cycling team of Alexandre Vinokourov will not take part in the Tour de France due to the fact that five of the team's nine Tour rides have been implicated in the ongoing doping probe in Spain.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/details/articles/10186.0.html

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
a diminished tour, for sure

I love watching the TDF. I also love watching football and basketball, for different reasons. In the Tour you have no doubt the fittest athletes in the world. How they keep up the ridiculous pace day after day, combating fatigue, soreness, crashes, pelaton maneuvering, 60 mph downhills, climbs-from-h!ll after 120 miles of racing, not to mention sitting on those tiny saddles for thousands of racing miles...you gotta admire these guys.

I'm not going to comment on the alleged doping angle of all of this. It will all work itself out in the end. I just want to say that I also like watching Arena Football, if nothing else to watch guys who are maybe a step slower than their NFL counterparts, but are nonetheless still superb athletes and are competive against their own caliber.

Now that the sport of cycling is basically eating itself with all these probes and allegations, the best of the best are now banned from The Tour...well, who in the heck now is gonna win the Tour? I have no idea, but it makes for an interesting scenario. Guys who realistically had no chance to win now can compete against their own caliber of competition. Teams who were going to just jostle amongst the pelaton for maybe a top ten can maybe have a shot at a podium finish. The hope that must now be present amongst the also-rans could inspire those who had it in them but psyched themselves out because there was always Lance and Jan and Alexandre to contend with (and all the team support etc that the BOTB have going for them) to do the impossible---go for a win at the Tour, not just a stage or two.

I won't for a minute feel that the winner of this year's Tour should have an asterik next to their name. The competition that is the Tour de France is so unbelievable (I would guess that any member of any team racing would completely smoke any group ride you, as a civilian, could possibly hope to join in) that their effort in gaining the podium should be applauded with no reservations. I, for one, although missing the likes of Basso and Ulrich, will be watching this Tour like the past 7. May the best man win.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.