Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DOD Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those souls that took on the Struggle this year were treated to some of the best weather, trails and company anyone could hope for.

I'm thinking there will be pics from 3 days of adventure. Day one there was a small squad that walked up Diamond Peak. Bike free zone.

Day two found some folks lolling around camp while others rode the traditional Windy Lakes to Suzanne for a swim.

Day three was the assault on Cowhorn and Sawtooth mountains. Both exceed 7,000 and both require a walk up the last bit. Cowhorn is actually off the PCT so we have to walk 1/2 mile of the "Perfect Cycling Trail" before beginning a fairly long climb. We saw a ranger sitting on top, when we left he was still there. Sawtooth gets too loose and steep near the top to ride. I did something different this year and brought running shoes. Much more comfortable than bike shoes for the 5-6 miles of hiking we did.

Some day one pics. The ride to Suzanne for a dip.

P9130001.JPG

P9130002.JPG

P9130004.JPG

P9130006.JPG

P9130008.JPG

Suzanne Lake. These rocks are 12' or so off the water. Perfect for diving into the crystalline water. Kinda disconcerting to be able the see the bottom, but 6' from shore there is 10+ feet of water that drops off fast.
P9130009.JPG

·
DOD Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics from the Struggle.

lousy picture, but we are about 1000' into the climb and it's time for fuel.
P9140010.JPG

First step up off the PCT
P9140011.JPG

Looking down at the same first step
P9140012.JPG

Second step
P9140013.JPG

Third step to the summit. This gets to be a scramble using all 4 points of contact.
P9140017.JPG

Cowhorn summit
P9140018.JPG

Brad made it!
P9140020.JPG

Looking down at the second step from the summit, zoomed. See Lou?
P9140021.JPG

Same view, no zoom.
P9140022.JPG

Top of Sawtooth
P9140025.JPG

·
DOD Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few more.
Bobcansummit!
P9140026.JPG

The very last few feet to the summit.
P9140028.JPG

Looking down from the top to a tricky traverse. The rocky outcropping stops a few from ever making the top. Kind of spooky and unstable.
P9140029.JPG

Lots of smoke in the air from area fires. The view shows Indigo lake nearest, then Timpanogas, where we are camped, with Summit Lake and Diamond Peak in the background.
P9140030.JPG

The stragglers at the top of the second summit of the day!! I tried to pose everybody so we could see Cowhorn in the background and after I set my timer, blocked the view myself!!
P9140034.JPG

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
What a great weekend! And to top it off, we got the senior citizen discount at the campground.

Caz

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
It was, of course, a great day on the bikes. The group of riders are the best bunch of guys/gals you can ride with (of course). Since I'm on Dr's orders to only ride on the road I chose to skip the hiking portions this year. I remember the views from last year...I'll see them next year.

Here's a few pics.

1: In route (subtitled: Max's best side)
2: Where's the DOD?
3: Zippin' down.
4: Air Canada touching down
5: She shows she has tech skills in the switchies
6: Shiggy's thinktank
7: The end...almost!

Brock...

Attachments

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
My turn. My turn!!!

Nobody got shot by the any hunters on 4-wheelers. Heck, nobody event crashed. Except for Lou who went to bed about 8 oclock Saturday night. His excuse was, " that gin and tonic was strong".

Couple photos from Susan Lake ride.

Here's the first mechanical. That's what were calling it.

Lou thought it was a road ride.

Bad Brad. Somehow him being called "bad" is a good thing.

Good Chris. Pffffft

TIMMY!

Here's me drinking a beer. Has nothing to do with the ride, me just drinking a beer.

Here's Sparty's sandwich from a previous ride. He hasn't gotten a sandwich like that for a while.

Here's where Lou decided to go the wrong way. Never trust a roadie.

Nice frick'n boots.

Best ride of the summer!

Caz

P.S. BobcanbeatTinker

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Here's my pics from the Struggle itself.

I'll create separate threads for photos from Diamond Peak, and from my June-Indigo tour on Saturday, plus I got some nice photos from Saturday's Sawtooth Sunset.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Some Pics from the Flaps..

Here are some of mine..
Great weekend, great friends, awesome views, even though marred by smoke in the N Umpqua basin. We got in a little climbing, my Garmin showed about 6000 ft climbing (bike only. The highest place the bike was parked, at the bottom of th Sawtooth hike was about 6900 ft elevation) Is this why the legs are sore today?
A tunnel of light with a train of riders coming...

Sasquatch

Candy

Shiggy

Sparty

And now - onto the hike to summit Sawtooth

Sparty was very concerned about his hair

What?? Sas with no camera!

Where's the keystone in this picture?

Time for the final descent.
Chappy's smiling

Brad gives a low five

Fred rolls past

Maxsteel flows

Good Chris

Shiggy chased by Imaklyde

Sasquatch rolls it

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,703 Posts
Deal

You can brake it on the descents. In fact, I'd hate to see what would happen if you didn't brake it... some of those trails are pretty steep.

See ya at the Sawtooth Struggle next year, BFE. Meanwhile, Barbie Camp happens Oct. 24-26... comin' up quick. Hope to see you there as well.

--Sparty

BIGfatED said:
Hey, can I go next year? I have a bike now. I'll try not to brake it or get it stolen. Deal?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Three margaritas in

Now that's funny. Ya, if I don't brake on the decents I have a feeling I will break more than my bike.

I will put Barbie Camp on the calendar. Thanks sParty.

Sparticus said:
You can brake it on the descents. In fact, I'd hate to see what would happen if you didn't brake it... some of those trails are pretty steep.

See ya at the Sawtooth Struggle next year, BFE. Meanwhile, Barbie Camp happens Oct. 24-26... comin' up quick. Hope to see you there as well.

--Sparty

·
Singletrack Addict
1,166 Posts
Route Question

If one were to venture upon an endeavor such as this, could one climb up Rd 2153 from the vicinity of Paddy's Valley to achieve the western traihead of Windy Pass (#3643)?

I have driven up the other side, Rd 2154 to Timpanogas and ridden up Sawtooth to Windy Pass and over to Cowhorn, etc. etc.. So how is Rd 2153? What is the traditional route for the Struggle?

Heading that way Friday, any help appreciated.

-Charlie

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
From Timpanogas lake, you can take the Start of Willamette trail 1.2 miles straight up to Windy pass trail. Turn right on Windy pass trail, and climb to the intersection of the Cowhorn Traverse. Climb that (only 1/4 mile max) to PCT, dump bikes, and hike up Cowhorn. Return to bike, drop down to Windy pass, and continue over to Sawtooth for more fun.

You can avoid the steep Start of Willamette trail by riding the Diamond drive towards Summit lake, and turning right (not left) onto a road with a trailhead marker. go 1/4 mile and hit the trailhead for Windy Pass. this is more like 4.5 miles to the top of Start of Willamette trail, and a much better warmup.

·
Singletrack Addict
1,166 Posts
Thanks Sasquatch!

Do y'all do it as an out and back? The one time I did it on my own last year I made it a loop by heading up the Sawtooth Trail and hitting Sawtooth first then over to Cowhorn and down the Start of the Willamette. It was a struggle and hike-a-bike going up from that side. I guess that's why I thought you called it the "Sawtooth Struggle" instead of the "Cowhorn Crumble." :D

We are looking at a big day starting around Paddy's Valley and climbing road 2153 to the western end of Windy Pass and then looping around to Timpanogas. Anyone know what shape WIndy Pass Trail is in west of Sawtooth Mountain?

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
We started from Timpy, rode 2153 to Windy Pass trail,and rode the Windy Pass trail to Cowhorn. Then, after summitting Cowhorn, we continued on Windy Pass, riding up as far as we can up Sawtooth, and then hiking the rest to summit Sawtootth mtn. We then returned to our bikes, rode down to the Indigo extension which takes you from Windy Pass down to Indigo lake. Form there, ride Indigo lake trail down to Timpy. From there, you can end with the descent back down to Paddy's valley.

There were a few trees down along all parts of Windy Pass trail, but nothing to worry about.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,703 Posts
The 2 mile trail from Timpy Lake to Indigo Lake is free of blowdown. Canada Don and I chainsawed it clear 10 days ago.

--Sparty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts