Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
The list of aftermarket disc brake distributors is growing every year, seems some are even suppliers to the big names and looking for the extra buck. They look cool! When looking at unknown brands you want to check that you can get replacement/rebuild parts easily. :cornut:

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
I've heard of Quad, but not many reviews. Looked for a few, found nothing, just Quad itself, a few British shops, Qbike, and a bunch of other eBay ads. I would be a little concerned that I can only find one US dealer, getting parts may be difficult. I did see one blurb that EBC makes pads for them, so that shouldn't present a problem. Otherwise, I dunno........break a lever on that set, and you're going to be paying a small fortune to get a replacement. What I did read seemed mostly positive, but nothing to recommend them over US available products.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lever looks like a Stroker copy cat. They also look like ****. Brakes are one of the more important parts of a bike, and personally, I wouldn't skimp on something that's going to make the difference between slamming into a tree and railing a turn perfectly (or stopping before you hit the tree if you don't like to SHRED!)

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
vk45de said:
it says monobloc, yet in photo 4, the caliper looks like there's a seam.
Casting seam. Just not ground down flush like other more expensive one-piece calipers. Kinda easy to spot, it doesn't have flat edges, it slants at a slight curve into the caliper body.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
heff® said:
Casting seam. Just not ground down flush like other more expensive one-piece calipers. Kinda easy to spot, it doesn't have flat edges, it slants at a slight curve into the caliper body.
Well, it doesn't have the usual 2 bolts I won't call it a 2 piece just yet. The stroker has that slant you mentioned though. Look at the closer part in the picture.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
heff® said:
Stroker sure looks like it has bolts holding the caliper halves together.......
was wait for that - the dime sure looks like it has no bolts holding the caliper halves :eekster:

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
I'd have to actually see them to be sure. There were a couple of one-piece calipers I ran across that had steel bolt just to reinforce the center pressure area of the caliper. They weren't actually holding the halves together.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you look at that german mag wide open they have a couple of reviews that were positive, and they seem to advertise there too.... i already picked up a set of hayes stroker aces but this company quad looks like it has a future...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Acessssss - 4 piston monobloc..... *droooolll which brings up the question, you can the stroker trail (i think they're trails) for $70/wheel, why would you venture with something like this? besides the fact that stroker has 2 extra bolts

·
Registered
393 Posts
The magazines have really rated the QUADS in the UK.

They loved the looks, power, and the reliability.

One argument against would be that with all the deals around, you could get a full set of something 'more well known' for similar price.

I think they are good looking.. Better looking than Hayes.

But if you are living in the UK, and can afford to, you should buy Hope. Our country is finished unless people start buying what little British manufacturing remains. QUAD has a UK base, but as always, the production is Taiwanese/Chinese.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah maybe.. but the QUADS are apparently UK designed ....I wouldn't write them off...

Be nice to see them UK made, but hey.. only Hope do that...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts