Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local singletrack today which is a nice mix of tech stuff and some smoother singletrack, but all in all pretty tech w/ the rock gardens etc. I see this bike coming out of the woods and it looked like a cross bike. Well I have been looking into a cross bike so I introduce myself and get a closer look. They guy was on a Trek Pilot 2.1 road bike!! Being a Pilot model it had awesome clearance and is a bit beefier w/ thicker carbon stays and fork for comfort so he had some Maxxis Cyclocross tires on it and said that he loves that bike road or woods haha and because of the clearance on that bike the regular caliper brakes work good and don't clog w/ mud, but he also said he doesn't ride muddy trails much. One part of me was like man you are stupid, then his friends come out of the woods a good 1 and 1/2 minutes later and he had beat them around the trail hahaha. He said if it gets too rough he just runs the bike like cyclocross. Long story short, I thought he was stupid and kind of crazy, but then after riding for a bit, I kind of admired the guy for doing something different and marching to the beat of his own drummer. Kind of like the first guys to put knobbies on the cruisers etc. Come to find out he is a mech at a local bike shop and just loves that bike period. I thought it was neat. Oh well, prolly a crazy post, but I thought it was neat.

Any of you ever try this?, or would hahahahaha. JC

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Its not what you ride...

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Until this August I rode my Kona jake the Snake through some of the nastiest singletrack here in Maine and NH.

As an aside, I just bought my first "real" 29er today:D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bdee said:
I still cant get over those guys walking their Turners down that section!

Tozovr, I like that red and the retro"ey" Bianchi decal on your new ride.
Not "their" Turners. The pics are from the interbike Outdoor Demo so the riders are unfamiliar with the bikes and the terrain. Still like the point they make, though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool pics shiggy. I think it is pretty awesome to see guys ride bikes like that in the woods and do well. I mean this guy was on a Trek Pilot 2.1 w/ regular road brakes etc. The wide fork and rear gave him enough clearance to run some cyclocross tires with room so he just rides that bike. I thought it was neat. It makes me want to try it haha. I am already a fan of the Midge bars on my Rig, but It would be neat to run a geared cyclocross or even older road bike that could support beefier tires and give it a go in the woods haha. Cool stuff. JC

I just wondered if anyone else did or does the same thing with a road bike of all things? JC

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
BigRingBash said:
Cool pics shiggy. I think it is pretty awesome to see guys ride bikes like that in the woods and do well. I mean this guy was on a Trek Pilot 2.1 w/ regular road brakes etc. The wide fork and rear gave him enough clearance to run some cyclocross tires with room so he just rides that bike. I thought it was neat. It makes me want to try it haha. I am already a fan of the Midge bars on my Rig, but It would be neat to run a geared cyclocross or even older road bike that could support beefier tires and give it a go in the woods haha. Cool stuff. JC

I just wondered if anyone else did or does the same thing with a road bike of all things? JC
See my post above...it's awesome, do it.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
There is a guy who rides the Don Valley trails -- which are slick, steep, clay and mud and root -- on a cross/road bike. I believe cut one of the nicest, gnarliest trails.

I've also heard that he falls off some.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BigRingBash said:

Tom Ritchey is said to ride his road bike on trails and dirt roads more than he uses his mtb.

I have ridden road bikes with slicks on singletrack. Pretty fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i ride a surly steamroller with 38 knobby cross tires from time to time on the trails. I run riser bars with some cushy bmx grips on it. while you can't really hop all that great on it, it works and it is pretty freakin fun.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had an old lugged aluminum Raleigh road bike with tons of clearance that I set up with cross tires and pounded on the trails. I have ridden all of my local trails on my cross bike, and even done some big road mile rides where I will choose a smooth singletrack loop as the turn around point, it's a different experience to say the least.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again it sounds interesting. I think I am going to try it when the weather gets a bit nicer haha. Just to see what it is like. My rig is rigid w/ a midge bar. I am in the process of buying a new Trek Pilot as well, so I am going to try it out just for poops and giggles. haha. JC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.