Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
The new geometry looks great to me as the large would fit me perfectly since the reach is the same as my yelli and the shorter seat tube drops that top tube a bit. Standover isn't a problem for me but i just prefer a lower top tube. Just a shame the colour is abolutely rubbish with no option. Could get it immediately powdercoated a colour i like i guess.

Am i right in thinking the Honzo bottom bracket is a chunk lower than the screamy, presuming the same fork? Eurospek i think you might know this straight off.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The new geometry looks great to me as the large would fit me perfectly since the reach is the same as my yelli and the shorter seat tube drops that top tube a bit. Standover isn't a problem for me but i just prefer a lower top tube. Just a shame the colour is abolutely rubbish with no option. Could get it immediately powdercoated a colour i like i guess.

Am i right in thinking the Honzo bottom bracket is a chunk lower than the screamy, presuming the same fork? Eurospek i think you might know this straight off.
Based of this post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/9361437-post1835.html

That puts it at about 13.2" with 120mm of travel, so about 1" taller than the Honzo.

Obviously, A-C height will change based on fork, even with the same travel, and tire size will make a difference, etc. But it does look significantly higher.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
It's definitely lower on the Honzo. At 110mm (Fox 34, with the same A-C as the stock Revelation 120mm), I was hitting everything with my pedals.

The Honzo is listed at 12.2 BB height, and I believe the Yelli is 12.5, both on 120mm forks.

But at 140mm now on the Honzo, pedals strikes are almost non-existent now.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Based of this post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/9361437-post1835.html

That puts it at about 13.2" with 120mm of travel, so about 1" taller than the Honzo.

Obviously, A-C height will change based on fork, even with the same travel, and tire size will make a difference, etc. But it does look significantly higher.
13.5" with 140mm Revelation and 2.4 Ardents sounds quite high.

I just went into the garage to measure the Honzo, and with the Fox 34 Float 140mm, 2.4/2.25 Ardents, my BB height is exactly at 12.5" right now.

The Yelli would be sitting even higher than with a Fox 34 as the A-C on that fork is 552.8 vs the 548 of the Revelation 140mm. I don't think I would want a BB higher than 13". I love the way the Honzo rides and curves into the turns.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
13.5" with 140mm Revelation and 2.4 Ardents sounds quite high.

I just went into the garage to measure the Honzo, and with the Fox 34 Float 140mm, 2.4/2.25 Ardents, my BB height is exactly at 12.5" right now.

The Yelli would be sitting even higher than with a Fox 34 as the A-C on that fork is 552.8 vs the 548 of the Revelation 140mm. I don't think I would want a BB higher than 13". I love the way the Honzo rides and curves into the turns.
That was the first time I thought about it being over 13", and I am with you, 13.5 is too high.

The BB drop is listed on the Geo page as -56mm at 120mm, so just over 2". Can you measure the height of your wheels with tires on them? That would give a pretty accurate way to check the BB height.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just been into the man cave......I presume you measure to the middle of the axle/shell. In which case a Yelli with 140 zocchis is 13 dead. And 2.35 hans dampf up front, same size but nobly nic rear.

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
OOOOOooo, long read...

...I posted this on my regional bike forum over the weekend as I was so floored I had to share. I address below the concerns of running this bike with a longer (140mm) fork. My opinion is that it rules like this and that is exactly how I will eventually build mine. In addition, I too am not crazy about the 2013 paint job (or really the 2012 either), but upon picking up a frame I will have my fav powdercoater do it up for me in murdered out black. Addendums to the original post are mostly in parentheses. Read on, then go ride...

I have long said that I never liked a single 29'er bike I have ever thrown a leg over. I have ridden many of them in various formats including high and low end, rigid, front and full suspension, some that did not really fit me and some that fit perfectly. In nearly ten years of seeing them go from a blip on the horizon to every yahoo rattling on about their qualities never was I convinced. I have oft said they all felt like I was sitting atop a bar stool after too much tequila...until yesterday (Sunday).

Yes, the apocalypse is now upon us. I have ridden a 29'er that blew me away. Line up for judgement day, f#*kstix.

So what was it you ask? My friends, it was the only one of it's kind as I now want to build one like that which I borrowed, but maybe from a different maker as to not completely copy my friend's bike. However, as of now it doesn't appear that any one else is doing anything like...

...the Kona Honzo. (Carver, Transition, Canfeild and Banshee all have 29'er AM hardtails, but none of them have the numbers of the Kona. The Diamondback Mason is actually more extreme, built not single speed ready and is aluminum) Even more rare is how my friend had his built which made it from great to stellar. His beast is built with a Truvativ Hammerschmidt 22t crankset driving a 21 rear cog, a gravity dropper post and a Reba 140 20mm fork. I know the cross country kooks that inhabit this forum and most of the mountain biking world are thinking..."waaaaa, it will be too slack, waaaaa, why do you need that heavy crank, waaaaa, waaaaa, waaaa"...STFU and listen for a second.

There are three factors that made this bike a game changer for me. First and foremost, the geometry. Kona lists the Honzo's head tube angle as 68 degrees, however they spec it with a 120mm fork so the angle on the one I rode was more like 67 degrees. The chainstays are super short at 16.3"+/- (sliding dropouts). Those there is some partytime numbers my friends that you do not see on...well any 29'ers I can think of, have seen, read about or ridden. Let me tell you, this bike is a crazy shredder. It motors over anything, manuals/wheelies/bunnyhops like mad and handles like a downhill bike on the descents. I was laughing my a$$ off ripping over stuff that I should have been way more cautious on a bike I was not familiar with and this will be more impressive when I tell you the rest. It's seat tube angle is by contrast a very steep 74.5 degrees...wow! Holy f#*k, batman this thing with all that slack front front end climbed up all the steep shiz we came across without a hitch. Second, the Hammerschmidt always seemed kinda, meh in concept to me until I rode it in this format. It is plenty of gear to ride anything you come across up or down and it never hangs up; shifting effortlessly. The paddles are backwards compared to a standard front shifter, but you get used to it pretty quickly. It surprises me that more people have not done this with "single speed" bikes effectively making them a "dingle speed" but increasing their versatility and fun-factor immensely. Finally, it's steel and steel is real killer to ride.

Speaking of killer, you know what is killer crazy about all of this? I was on a bike that was two sizes too big an XL to be exact. I had brought my old Surly down to Georgia to build up at my friends house, but after too many glitches and ride time dwindling we just decided to take off with my friend who is 6'3" lending me his Honzo. I am 5'9" and this was a bigass bike. I lowered the seat as far as it would go and only elevated it to the middle position for pedaling/climbing. I set up the handlebar controls and off we went. I was in shock as I kinda expected to just maybe keep up, certainly nothing crazy. No f*#king way!!! I was blazing on this beast, keeping up and even passing on occasion the fastest in our group. Crazy!

Why I wondered? Why have I thought every other 29'er...well, basically sucked? I think it boils down to geometry. Bike companies have been timid about making a 29'er that handled like a kickass trail bike, instead chasing the handling characteristics of the XC bike dragon. I think Kona with this bike and their Satori full suspension have turned the corner saying f#*k it, lets make it handle like badass 29'er versus a 29'er that is trying to imitate a twitchy 26'er. Other companies are just scratching at this now, Banshee's soon to be released Prime (My buddy is waiting for this one to come out to replace his current full suspension) comes to mind. Sure, you can now buy Santa Cruz's Tallboy LT and Niner's WFO (which is my pals other bike), but neither of those get as wacky with their geometries like the Kona.

So in conclusion, I will be seriously looking to build a similar rig in the coming year. I will also predict that this is the real future for big wheel bikes. It may take awhile, but seven years ago everyone thought I was crazy for having a height adjustable seatpost, twelve years ago no one understood why I would have 20mm front thru-axle and thirteen years ago everyone said I did not need disc brakes either. You heard it here first. Yeah, I am still crazy.
:thumbsup: :devil:

·
Registered
982 Posts
On monday I rode with a buddy of mine who was on a bone-stock 2013 Honzo. We are similar in size so the fit was good. We swapped back and forth a bit, I was riding a SS 26" hardtail. It was my first real riding on a 29er.

I noticed that it rolled much better than my 26. It was stable and solid, I felt 'planted.' I enjoy a bike that is nimble and I can throw around on the trail. Not so much with 29" wheels. The Honzo didn't throw around very well but once it was in the air it handled great.

It was a blast to ride, and could really rail on the descents. Climbing was pretty awesome, I could point the tires at what I wanted to and cruise through. Having a granny gear could have contributed to that sensation.

As for the components, for me the low part was the crankset which flexed some compared to what I am used to - Stylo and SLX. High point were probably the rims/tires and fork. Everything else was pretty standard middle of the road.

The paint looks better in person than the pics and I kinda dig the retro graphics. Though the matching color splash in the oem fork, seat, and rims was over the top.

Overall I really enjoyed riding the Honzo. It climbed great and then allowed me to let loose on the descent. I felt like I could push it right away, which was a bit unnerving since I wasn't familiar with anything about it. If I bought one I would ditch the gears / chain guide and slap a carbon bar / nice stem on. That would have been 3x the fun. I wasn't sold on 29" wheels though... They just don't pop and flick like a 26.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
So, could you tell if the finish was paint or powder? If paint then the solution for those who don't like it is an easy strip, if PC a good bit harder.

On monday I rode with a buddy of mine who was on a bone-stock 2013 Honzo. We are similar in size so the fit was good. We swapped back and forth a bit, I was riding a SS 26" hardtail. It was my first real riding on a 29er.
.......I liked it, but it was a different feel and I'm accustomed to 26" wheels........

41 - 56 of 56 Posts