Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slowohioboy
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from Ohio, we don’t really see anything like that on our trails. How often should I expect to cross paths with them in No, NV as the weather gets hotter? What else may I come across here. (Other than the random Coyote that thinks I’m injured and food for how slow I’m moving)

My hubs are pretty buzzy when freewheeling and I was right at this guy when I noticed him... where I was in the rocks I couldn’t have adjusted if I had to at that spot. Should have gotten a pic, but I was hauling and just got outta there.

·
Premium Member
10,756 Posts
Ten years bad luck if you run over a snake, hop em if you can.

Saw a snake last night, Sunning itself on a double track, cute lil' feller.

Being from Ohio, we don't really see anything like that on our trails. How often should I expect to cross paths with them in No, NV as the weather gets hotter? What else may I come across here. (Other than the random Coyote that thinks I'm injured and food for how slow I'm moving)

My hubs are pretty buzzy when freewheeling and I was right at this guy when I noticed him... where I was in the rocks I couldn't have adjusted if I had to at that spot. Should have gotten a pic, but I was hauling and just got outta there.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Yup buddy James and I saw one as we were climbing the first trail from the TH at Centennial.
As things warm up you will start to see them coming out more simply because mornings/nights are still relatively cool so they will be sunning themselves on the trails. Over the 10yrs that I have been riding, I think I have come across one snake a year, but only ever come across two rattlers. They have always been on high speed sections so I have been lucky enough to catch them right as I am passing by them.

Other things to watch out for... lots of deer (in Carson), the coyotes and maybe the occasional mountain lion. Actually almost hit one on my way down Spooner on Tuesday night about 10:30pm. ****er was bigger than my mastiff/lab/pit mix and she is close to 100lbs. I have come across their tracks while out riding but in all my years never seen one.

Most animal encounters other than snakes, birds and deer will be few and far between. Use your bell if you have one or are out riding alone just to warn them off (or alert them to dinner, whoever you look at it).

·
GONE
27,025 Posts
Being from Ohio, we don't really see anything like that on our trails. How often should I expect to cross paths with them in No, NV as the weather gets hotter? What else may I come across here. (Other than the random Coyote that thinks I'm injured and food for how slow I'm moving)

My hubs are pretty buzzy when freewheeling and I was right at this guy when I noticed him... where I was in the rocks I couldn't have adjusted if I had to at that spot. Should have gotten a pic, but I was hauling and just got outta there.
Sounds like a Kodak moment. So, where's the pics?

·
Slowohioboy
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a Kodak moment. So, where's the pics?
Honestly, I was a bit spooked at the moment... I was riding the Zipper trail and going through a very rocky section at a pretty good clip. The sound was just slightly different than my free hub, and when I realized what it was it was only a couple feet away, just off the trail. I saw him there and the first thing on my mind was not getting bitten, or how many more are around...

Where I saw him and as close as I had gotten if he were closer there would have even no way I could have avoided him, so I was just wanting to get the heck away. Afterwards I though about the missed photo opportunity, but I wasn't about to head back around.

Hopefully there will be very few of these chances, and if there are I will realize it before I am directly on top of it.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Centennial last September... just hanging out a short way from the trailhead! Also watch out for the wild horses as they can be a bit grumpy sometimes.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Starting to come out in force..
Local Carson vet shop posted on their facebook page that they had their first emergency patient. Got nailed while on the trails behind the hospital and golf course. Apparently it was just laying in the trail and the walker and her dog did not see until they were right on it. Dog got nailed in the lip but is stable thus far.
Also posted a picture of another on prison hill from about a week ago. Keep your heads on a swivel people with the cold nights from this storm they will be sunning themselves whenever possible to keep body heat during the day.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Bunny hopped 2 snakes on one ride last week. They are out and about more than I have seen in years.
Yeah wet and cold winter for second year in a row and these weird cold fronts that keep coming through with the warm spell we had in March/April has caused them to wake early and now they are searching for warmth. Still dropping into the 30s at night which means they have to bake themselves during the day when they can. On top of that we have not really had any days that have been super warm so they are out keeping warm in the first place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just out of curiosity, generally what elevations do you see them up to (in the Reno area)? Just moved here from Tucson, where we also had a busy spring with those guys as well.

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
Just out of curiosity, generally what elevations do you see them up to (in the Reno area)? Just moved here from Tucson, where we also had a busy spring with those guys as well.
I would estimate 5000 to 5500 feet for the two that were stretched out across the trail. Also, I had a small one in my yard at about 4900 feet.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I would estimate 5000 to 5500 feet for the two that were stretched out across the trail. Also, I had a small one in my yard at about 4900 feet.
Think it depends more on where the tree line is and when "open ground" kinda stops. The higher you get the more they will need to sun themselves, especially this time of year, to keep warm. Carson City trails are right about 4500' and you can hit tree lines just after that (maybe 4800'). I have seen them in the lower trails in Ash Canyon, but once you hit the trees near Creek Trail, I have never seen them. They are always in the middle of the trail, near the edge of the trial or near the fire road sunning themselves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.