Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just found out that my rear pads and rotors are contaminated. I remember reading somewhere on Shimano's site that all Rotors CAN be saved from contamination with propper cleaning and resurfacing the rotor and cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol. I attempted this method with both pads and rotors and still squeaking. Wondering if anyone has another method. Brakes are Shimano XT M985 with Ice-Tech Rotors. I want to make sure I can save the rotors before I buy new pads and ruin those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to make sure that I clean the rotor best I can before installing new pads, I have been reading more here about other ways to do it, I am to the point where I am first of all, find a giant hill and get going as fast as I can and hit the brakes a couple times to see if I can heat up the brakes and make the squeeking go away to see if that fixes the problem, if that does not work I am going to rough up the rotor, then spray the rotors down with simple green to clean them, then spray them down with Isopropyl and let air dry. Then install the new ice-tech pads. Thoughts?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,869 Posts
you want a clean rotor take them off and wash with a clean rag and acetone

don't let acetone anywhere near anything plastic and no where near the bike, one mistake and it'll eat paint and plastics like cable housings

isopropyl is good too but if you have acetone that will not only clean oil but will remove any glazed crap too. it's a far meaner solvent than alcohol

no acetone then alcohol, then simple green + water then alcohol again is also damn good idea

just get new pads...trying to resurrect contaminated pads just makes a person mean

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You may get away with heating the pads, I've used a small butane burner, used the elements on the oven (don't do this unless you hate your flatmates, place stinks and fills with smoke).
But if they're really bad you're going to have to change the pads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im assuming that they are contaminated due to the fact that after sanding the pads and rotors and cleaning them with Isopropyl Alcohol and trying to bed them in still they are howling. Did the same process front and rear and the rear is the only one giving me issues. Would you guys still recommend the acetone if they are Ice-tech Rotors?

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Yeah, how did you "just find out" your pads & rotor are contaminated? Usually one makes a mistake and actively contaminates the rotor or brake line failure sprays the rotor. Did someone call you and tell you they contaminated your pads and rotor?

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Dude, "bedding in" means to transfer material from the pads to the rotor. Adding "Dawn Water" (WTF is Dawn Water?") most likely interferes with the bedding in process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to work at a LBS that didnt try to save pads or rotors that were contaminated. The bike was purchased used and I am just trying to get it going. I do not know what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Find a big hill and just drag the rear brake lightly the whole way, that will get it hot. If that doesn't work you'll need new pads.
I'm not sure what is on Dawn but I'd have thought you'd want something abrasive, we used to use mud!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Get a torch & burn each pad for a minute. Let em smoke. Let em cool. Clean the rotor with alcohol while you're waiting for the pads to cool. Sand the pads & try em out. Works every time.

Sadly just unsing degreaser, brake cleaner or alcohol on the pads doesn't usually work. There is contamination deep in the pad that these products leave. You've got to burn it out. If the contamination is really bad some times you need to torch them for longer than a minute, but most of the time that is enough for each pad.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
The bike was purchased used and I am just trying to get it going. I do not know what the previous owner did.
Ah, NOW it begins to make sense! This would have been good info in your initial post.

I've used XT/Icetech for over a decade on 4+ bikes. I've never had an issue with contamination on this system. The one time I couldn't resolve the squealing, it was a faulty brake that (I suspect) was slowly leaking fluid around the piston. It that case, it was continually contaminating itself.

That doesn't mean it can't happen of course, but the times I've had persistent noise was when one piston would extend with the other one stuck.

I recommend looking to see if this is the issue. If it is, you can free up the piston and that should solve the problem (and it's free).

If that doesn't work, then cough up the bucks and just get new pads and rotors. But look at the pistons first as it may save you some $$.

In the future, don't put anything on the pads/rotors prior to using them, as it will just boil off the water and deposit whatever is in the water (dawn detergent, degreaser, coyote sh*t, whatever) onto the pads. But, like I said, I've never had a noise issue that wasn't resolved either by adjusting the pads, or cleaning the pads/rotor with alcohol, other than the faulty brake. I've never baked, sanded, blowtorched, etc., any pads or rotors, but every once in a while I'll get detergent on them. But I rinse them pretty thoroughly after with plain water.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I just stick them on the burner of my stove. Wash first then burn then sand then rinse.

Works 100% if you let it all burn off.

I've had to do this like 50 times no way in hell buying new ones every time they get contaminated.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,205 Posts
I just stick them on the burner of my stove. Wash first then burn then sand then rinse.

Works 100% if you let it all burn off.

I've had to do this like 50 times no way in hell buying new ones every time they get contaminated.
I've done this method and it works, but you may want to look into what's causing the contamination before you get to 100. :lol:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've done this method and it works, but you may want to look into what's causing the contamination before you get to 100. :lol:
Haha ya let's see.. leaking bleed nipple, busted brake line, leaking pistons, random oil shooting across the room while bleeding my damper and having it in the kitchen with me at work.
Seriously everything that can happen has happened to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.