Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Save the date...more info to follow. I wanted to get this out so you can set a placeholder, and adjust your schedules, if necessary. Date has been finalized as Sunday, Jan. 31st, to accomodate more riders.

This is the "traditional" weekend for this ride, in-between the NFL Championship games and the Super Bowl. Yes, it conflicts with the Sunday session of the MBAA race at the White Tanks, or, I should say, that race conflicts with the Quad!!! Damn straight...the Quad is way cooler anyway...:cool:

This is a social ride, not a race, though it's very hard and should be considered B+ or better. I expect there to be at least one fast breakaway group (umm...paging dgangi, chollaball, etc...)...there ALWAYS is...

This is also a few weeks before the 24 HITOP, so it's a great part of the training for that.

Should be some cool potential changes for this year, perhaps incorporating Tom's Thumb and the new Fountain Hills trails to connect from the dirt road to what's left of Dixie Mine. Of course, these will make the route HARDER!!! :madman:

Lots of info here:

Last year's "Save the Date" thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=468715&highlight=quadruple

Last year's posted Quad (the ride post and ride reports):
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479974&highlight=quadruple

Another ride report from 2009:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=487510&highlight=quadruple

Also, do an Advanced Search on "Quadruple Bypass" in the Title, and you'll have a number of other good threads to review.

I hope to see many of you at this year's Quad...:thumbsup:

Walt and De'

·
Registered
238 Posts
On my calendar! And I've started my training program to get ready.

But the mention of Tom's Thumb scares me. I snapped a photo of the trail up to it when I was riding Windgate a few weeks ago. Isn't it like a 20,000 foot climb and 672 switchbacks to the top? (exact numbers may be slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect)

Attachments

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crispy said:
But the mention of Tom's Thumb scares me. I snapped a photo of the trail up to it when I was riding Windgate a few weeks ago. Isn't it like a 20,000 foot climb and 672 switchbacks to the top? (exact numbers may be slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect)
Hehe...you've heard of the "Death Zone," right...? :eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tom's Thumb

I've not done the quad before, but have done all the trails out there including the new stuff on the Fountain Hills side, so may try it this year.It would be nice to put all the pieces together...

Tom's Thumb isn't bad riding in the clockwise direction. It's 100% ridable at least (counter clockwise there is hike-a-bike up East End due to grade and hardpan covered with granite pebbles).

My buddy and I climbed TT on Saturday and were able to clear 27 of the 28 switchbacks
non-stop (dabbed on 27 which is tight, but also had a build up of powder dust in the corner which cause my rear tire to break loose). That was frustrating being so close to the top, then missing that corner - oh well.

Anyway, hope to make the ride this year.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.