Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have an 03 stumpjumper pro with components:
FORK Rock Shox SID Team, 80mm travel, Dual Air, external rebound adj., compression lock-out, Alloy steerer
HEADSET 1 1/8" Threadless, 3x sealed, black alloy cups, cartridge bearings, ultralight alloy top cap and bolt STEM Aluminum, 4 bolt, 7 degree rise, black
HANDLEBARS Specialized S-Works carbon riser cut down
TAPE / GRIPS Specialized MTB grip, black, double density Kraton
FRONT BRAKE Avid SD Ti, Rim Wrangler cartridge pads, lightweight compressionless housings
REAR BRAKE Avid SD Ti, Rim Wrangler cartridge pads, lightweight compressionless housings
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano M-960 XTR
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-750 XT, 34.9mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-952 XTR, long cage, standard spring
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano M-960 XTR, STI integrated shifter/lever combination, 9 speed CASSETTE Shimano M-750 XT, 11/34
CHAIN Shimano HG73 CRANKSET Shimano Deore XT, splined
CHAINRINGS 44Ax32Ax22A, 7050 alloy 4mm thick outer ring, 4 bolt 104/64mm pattern, Alloy chainring bolts, self-extracting crank bolts
BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-70 XT, Octalink spline, 68mm shell width, 113mm spindle length
PEDALS Crank Bros eggbeater chromes
RIMS Mavic X517, 26", black, welded seam, machined sidewalls, eyelets
FRONT HUB Specialized Stout, 28 hole, cartridge bearings, 9mm Skraxle
REAR HUB DT Onyx, 32 hole, cartridge bearings, alloy Q/R
SPOKES DT Swiss Revolution 1.8/1.5/1.8mm butted, stainless steel, black, alloy nipples, 251/251mm front, 262/264mm rear
FRONT TIRE Specialized S-Works Roll-X 2.0", Kevlar bead, 127 tpi, S-Works compound REAR TIRE Specialized S-Works Roll-X 2.0", Kevlar bead, 127 tpi, S-Works compound TUBES Specialized Ultralight, Presta valve
SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry technology, leather cover, abrasion resistant sides, Titanium rails
SEAT POST thompson elite 30.9 x 410mm (cut down)

thinking of getting xtr wheelset, disc brakes and dual control levers. give me your thoughts and most bang for the buck upgrades. id like to keep optimum racing quality and lightweight, thanks alot

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would

1. Ditch the tubes and go with stans. While your at it get some lighter faster tires. If you are racing Nokian NBX's are a good choice. They work well for me at least. Specialized tires suck
2. What crankset are you running. An American classic or Fsa platinium pro BB would save some weight. Truvativ Stylo teams are pretty light, and reasonably priced too.
3. Eggbeater Ti's would save quite a bit if you get the triples
4. Checkout Weightweenies.starbike.com. You should be able to find your parts listed, and compare with new stuff to estimate savings.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
- Just knocked 3 pounds off a Demo Stumpy bike Specialized sent my shop by changing Wheels, Tires & Tubes! - Good ol' XTR hubs, Ceramic 517's and Bontrager Jones ACX Kevlar tires (light ones, you gotta watch em' they vary in weight alot) and Specialized Turbo Tubes......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pic

heres a pic from the specialized site seeing as i dont have a digital camera. this is the same except the pedals, eggbeaters - seatpost - thomson elite, and handle bars - s-works carbon riser.

id like to stick with XTR and XT drivetrain. if you could give me some ideas on weight savings on stem, wheels, headset, brakes maybe, bolts, and stuff, whatever. thanks alot, you guys are awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, and...

i forgot to mention that i'd like to upgrade to discs, thinking XTR because id hopefully like to stick with the idea of the STI dual control levers, i really like them. thanks

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Stans No-tubes

www.notubes.com. I hear alot of debate on here about Eclipse being better. No stans is better. I have never used Eclipse so I cannot say, but I use Stans sealent to put regular tires on my UST wheels and it works better for me than anything else I have tried. You should go tubsless whatever way you chose to do so

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Pedalfaraway said:
www.notubes.com. I hear alot of debate on here about Eclipse being better. No stans is better. I have never used Eclipse so I cannot say, but I use Stans sealent to put regular tires on my UST wheels and it works better for me than anything else I have tried. You should go tubsless whatever way you chose to do so
For wheels, you could get a set from Mike Garcia, with WTB hubs(if you want disks), this would knock off alot of weight and is not overly expensive. He can be reached at www.oddsandendos.com The weight savings would be in the hubs.

If you do want disk brakes, then it would be a good time.
For stem, A syntace is a very good option. They can be found here...
www.light-bikes/sales.com and the eclipse sytem can also be found there.
As for a seat, well every one has their own opinion on whats comfortable. But you can loose quite a bit of weight there.... the Selle Italia SLR is a popluar option.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Nice Ride...

Looks good, but I can find quiet a few sports to save weight.

Wheelset: You mention you wanted to upgrade to Disc Brakes, so it looks like a new wheelset is up on the cards anyways... Stock wheelsets are generally Heavy as they use heavy hubs, heavy gauge spokes, brass nipples, low quality rims etc...

The stock wheelset from my Avanti was/is almost 2000grams (is over actually), my new prospective wheelset is 1730g, Thats a UST, disc wheelset... It's one of the easiest places to save weight on a stock bike, and the most benificial too. Check out Mike at Odds and Endos.

Tyres: Rugular tyres should be under 550g and roll pretty decent- Check out Nino's "Tyre Rolling Resistance Data" posts theres quiet a few of them around. You shouls be able to find something that rolls fast, and suits your conditions, and style under 550g. Also Look into Stan's or Eclipse tubeless systems.

Stem, Bars, Post: An easy place to save weight, as most stock items are heavy, as are the ones said to be "light" (i.e Thompson) checkout the listings at WeightWeenies to check out some weights... Matching Kit looks best, but isnt always the lightest.

Thats it for now- i could sit here forever...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.