1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KINCAID ACTION ALERT!

SPREAD THE WORD

Please:

1. Email comments on the Kincaid Draft Plan ([email protected])

2. And/or attend a meeting.
(Parks and Rec Commission meeting on July 13 from 6-8 PM at Spenard Rec Center)

The very politically-savvy Kincaid Project Group (KPG) is trying to put 8 soccer fields into the heart of Kincaid Park.

If anyone else hates this idea as much as I do, please email the consulting group taking public comment at: [email protected]. Please tell all your friends!

A comment as simple as "I do not support soccer fields at Kincaid" would be very helpful.

Some other possible comments you might make:

Let's maintain the soccer fields we have now before building more! (duh)
There is no historical soccer-related use at Kincaid. It's for skiers, runners, bikers, etc.
Wont moose safety on the soccer fields be an issue?
Increased parking needs are a problem.
Increased road traffic isn't good.
Impacts to vegetation/wildlife?
Why put 8 soccer fields in a very out of the way location for Anchorage as a whole? (Do you know how long it takes to drive from Mountain View to Kincaid?)
Anything else you want to say about what you want Kincaid Park to be

Come to the Parks and Rec Commission meeting on July 13 from 6-8 PM at Spenard Rec Center. Public comment will be taken.

Check out the ill-advised Kincaid Project Group plan at: http://www.lindemuthart.com/kincaid/index.html.

Don't let a relatively small group of people take over Kincaid! Lots of us like it just the way it is. It's the summer users (bikers, runners, hikers, nature-lovers, etc) that will be crowded out by this development. Let's scrap this whole plan and start over with something that includes more broad-based support from the community.

Thank-you for helping.

·
Diaskeuast
575 Posts
Got 'er done

My comments have been sent, and copied to the members of the Kincaid Project Group. Thanks for posting the info, Robin. :thumbsup:

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
Probably be hard to fight off these guys...

"Supported in the Community by:
Anchorage District Soccer Federation
Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage
Sand Lake Community Council
Mayor Mark Begich
Parks and Recreation Commission
Alaska State Legislature
Senator Ted Stevens
ConocoPhillips "

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
287 Posts
Its not a great idea.. but it ain't all bad.

If I recall right, this is going to happen one way or another, it is just a matter or scale at this point.

I was looking at the drawing and yeah 8 soccor fields is excesive for kincaid, plus if you add the wind factor to where they want to put them it would really suck for those playing with all the dust. Then throw in they aren't adding any parking (or maybe I missed that part).

It is said that it is happening to Kincaid (and I live right next to it), but I rather have it happen to Kincaid than Far North as Kincaid has already been sort of transformed into more of a modern version of a park vs. what we Alaskans want.

Big big complaint about the lack of soccor fields stems from there is only really those near C & Klatt, the Indoor Place on Omally, one field on the parkstrip, the one or two near each middle and high school.

I actually FULLY support the idea of another indoor soccor field in Anchorage (which is planned for the current biatholon range) as I have friends that are in leagues that have to go to their games at 11pm on a Friday or Saturday night as that is the only time there are openings in their schedule for the league they play on which probably has 20-25 teams and is growing. I also believe this as I think Anchorage needs more indoor winter recreation options; especially when I snow is being as inconsistent as it has been recently.

I looked at the plan and though it did discust me..there were parts that I couldn't say I was entirely against and expressed both opinions when I wrote a letter of disapproval to the head of Parks and Recs many months ago.

Robinalaska said:
KINCAID ACTION ALERT!
Come to the Parks and Rec Commission meeting on July 13 from 6-8 PM at Spenard Rec Center. Public comment will be taken.

Check out the ill-advised Kincaid Project Group plan at: http://www.lindemuthart.com/kincaid/index.html.

Don't let a relatively small group of people take over Kincaid! Lots of us like it just the way it is. It's the summer users (bikers, runners, hikers, nature-lovers, etc) that will be crowded out by this development. Let's scrap this whole plan and start over with something that includes more broad-based support from the community.

Thank-you for helping.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Round balls/soccer field rant

It would seem like they should be in a metro setting such as the park strip along 9th street with the other soccer fields and baseball diamonds ........ why can't they use the high school football fields in the summer for soccer fields ......... ooops thats sacred ground those football fields, sorry. :madmax: I guess, there is only one other alternative .... lets fire up those D-9's and get rid of the beautiful trees and meadows, slay all the moose and bears and make Anchorage into another sterile lower 48 city shiz hole !

Don't look over your shoulder but as some of you know, there are designs for the Hillside, the battle for Rovers Run was just a skirmish. Look at the baseball diamond battle over at Abbott, read the history of that process which converted trees into ball diamonds that are only used a few months of the year ........ arrrgggg , what's next; a domed stadium on the Hillside :madman:

·
ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
287 Posts
Very True..

Very True Rio.. I think Kincaid is a horrible location for them or for even an indoor soccor field. I think a midtown location would be much better along the existing Campbell Creek park strip that already exists and is already owned or controled by the Muni. The area in between Cal Worthington and the Sullivan would be a great area for an indoor one for example.

I agree though, the baseball dimonds are extremely excessive in this town for how popular the sport is up here. From my perspective Soccor is a more popular sport, even in Alaska.

The Football fields I thought are used for Soccor at the high schools as that is where I thought I saw them playing. I know there seem them playing soccor on the field next to the Sullivan all the time.

Yeah i know about some of the Hillside plans.. I get too worked up thinking about it. Anchorage is not the Skiing Mecca for sure with its unreliable snow, I don't want to see some huge megalopolis ski system with chalet spread out over the upper hillside. I can't remember what the political lobby is calling themselves.. but how about a system of singletrack with chalet for mountain bikers.

rio said:
It would seem like they should be in a metro setting such as the park strip along 9th street with the other soccer fields and baseball diamonds ........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.