Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please visit the following website to learn more about the threats being imposed on FANTASY ISLAND.

www.savefantasyisland.org

YOUR ATTENTION IS CRITICAL AT THIS TIME.

Visit this site periodically,as the Fantasy Island Conservation Alliance will provide you with the latest news and events so you can make your opinion known.

STOP THE LAND GRAB!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Just a suggestion to add contact information for local, county, and state officials who can be written regarding FI.
 

·
otb club member
Joined
·
2,941 Posts
More info, please...

everc1 said:
Thanks everyone.

The website is still under development (as you can tell). Its really gotten to the point where action is crucial. Check this out.

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/news/63528.php

We will be organizing a ride on April 16th. We want to see 1000 there.

Chris
Having 1000 people there would be great. I'm assuming that there will be media coverage or something in order to make a point? It would be nice to set up some sort of "sign in" sheet like they have on many hiking trails, just to have way of documenting the extensive use the area gets.

It's hard to believe that this keeps coming up when we think it's been solved. The sad thing is that the "best case scenario," as far as I know, is having the City buy it and make it part of a regional park. I imagine a paved bike path out there by the time city bureaucrats and their lawyers get done with it. Wish I had a few million bucks lying around....
 

·
wowarizona.com
Joined
·
863 Posts
Where do the advocacy groups stand on this?

everc1 said:
Thanks everyone.

The website is still under development (as you can tell). Its really gotten to the point where action is crucial. Check this out.

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/news/63528.php

We will be organizing a ride on April 16th. We want to see 1000 there.

Chris
What are the positions of various groups such as IMBA and MTBAccess on this? What is their involvement on this issue?

Isn't MTBAccess right here in Tucson? At 24 ITOP, they were collecting the 'contribution' at the gate. With the infusion of new funds from the race, they should be able to make quite an impact.

See you on the 16th of April.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Save Fantasy Update

Howdy folks,

The board consists of several talentred and experienced folks in terms of advocacy. Not to worry. They'veb een hand picked to get this job done right. IMBA, MTB Access, so have you. Some of the FI Conservation Alliance folks have been on the boards of the previously mentioned groups.

All we need is your help. The website is updated, and has much more information. Take a look.

www.savefantasyisland.org

Thanks!

More to come.

Chris
 

·
wowarizona.com
Joined
·
863 Posts
?

everc1 said:
Howdy folks,

The board consists of several talentred and experienced folks in terms of advocacy. Not to worry. They'veb een hand picked to get this job done right. IMBA, MTB Access, so have you. Some of the FI Conservation Alliance folks have been on the boards of the previously mentioned groups.

All we need is your help. The website is updated, and has much more information. Take a look.

www.savefantasyisland.org

Thanks!

More to come.

Chris
Great.

Who are the board members?
 

·
wowarizona.com
Joined
·
863 Posts
Some info

Paul B said:
Yeah, no doubt. Some of us actually know who the advocacy leaders are in the state. Some of us also have opinions on those people. "Not to worry" is exactly the wrong answer to give.

p.
I received an email on the board members. I don't know most, 'know of' several, 'casually met' a couple, rode a couple of hours, once, with one. Who isn't involved is just as important to me as who is, at least in my (and mine only) opinion. We all know what opinions are worth, though.

With that said, we'll have a petition sheet available at the Fling Party at WOW and take it to the Fling Party in Sedona for additional exposure/signatures, for those so inclined to add their name(s).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent Point

You make an excellent point. I proposed a public meeting for next week. Also, its a touchy situation listing people's names in a public forum such as this. I wouldn't want to infringe on anyone's privacy.

I can only speak for my positionon the matter. I see a potential HUGE loss to the MTB community if FI was ot be developed. I see speaking up in this situation as a great opportunity to build on the MTB community. In the larger scheme of things, I believe that the State Land Department is out of control, and I refuse to let them step all over the public like they don't have a say.

I made it easy to write your representatives. Go to the "what you can do" section of the website.

www.savefantasyisland.org


At this stage of the game, this is what we can do. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on April 16th.

Thanks,

Chris Everist
 

·
caninus xerophilous
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Golder Ranch threatened as well.

everc1 said:
I can only speak for my positionon the matter. I see a potential HUGE loss to the MTB community if FI was ot be developed. I see speaking up in this situation as a great opportunity to build on the MTB community. In the larger scheme of things, I believe that the State Land Department is out of control, and I refuse to let them step all over the public like they don't have a say.

Chris Everist
Well said Chris!

There is much talk in the area of the State selling much of the land in the Golder area in the near future. Getting an effective organization together to lobby for continued public access to the receeding MTB'ble open spaces in Tucson is paramount to all of MTB'ers.

I'll be supporting the Save FI in hopes that it develops into an effective lobby to retain critical MTB open spaces in the face of this rapacious onslaught by the mighty developers.

I thank and support all those that are taking the time to make a stand. Sometimes the smaller views are in conflict but in general the bigger picture remains the same, access and preservation of quality riding areas and open spaces.

Louis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unite!

Well...

I am less cynical of Tucson, and people making a difference in general after witnessing the support from the community in the construction of the AZ Trail this past season. I believe we can get together to make our voices heard, and become a force in our political communities.

All too often I have witnessed battles for recognition,and egotism obscure the big picture. Ther is no need to keep these battles from being fought be the entire MTB community at large.

C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Board members

That term is used quite loosely with our group. It sounds too much like we are all sitting in a board room waiting to get paid. Would it sound better if we called ourselves “Guys and girls getting together to have a beer and talk about how we can save Fantasy Island and then actually doing something about it besides whine”

We needed a Contact/Chairman (me) so we can have someone for the government agencies that we send out protest packets too to contact. We need people that have studied trail impacts on local businesses, we need graphics people, web masters...you get the idea. As CJ found out, if you want to be a part of this, to know what we are doing behind the scenes, just let me know you are more than welcome. But basically what you see on the web site is it. Contact your local and state rep’s, we are just trying to give you the means to do it in the easiest way possible. Show up for our mass ride in April, we are working on getting all the local media there. If you think we are trying to pull something over on the MTB community you can go to rec.conspiricys.tucsonmountainbiking and give them a hand. We just want to save a riding area, hell its not even one of my favorites, but if we don’t take a stand and try, it’s gone forever. The one next door to you is sure to follow.

If you have any ideas on what else we can do. Just let us know. [email protected]

We are trying to get the flyers and petitions into shops ASAP but we all have “real’ jobs, not to mention the printing expenses are all out of our own pockets.

Even if you don’t like someone it does not mean that you can not work together to get to a common goal. The rest of the “board” members can put there names on here if they wish or not it is up to them and it really shouldn’t matter.

Jon Shouse
 

·
wowarizona.com
Joined
·
863 Posts
slugobikes said:
That term is used quite loosely with our group. It sounds too much like we are all sitting in a board room waiting to get paid. Would it sound better if we called ourselves “Guys and girls getting together to have a beer and talk about how we can save Fantasy Island and then actually doing something about it besides whine”

We needed a Contact/Chairman (me) so we can have someone for the government agencies that we send out protest packets too to contact. We need people that have studied trail impacts on local businesses, we need graphics people, web masters...you get the idea. As CJ found out, if you want to be a part of this, to know what we are doing behind the scenes, just let me know you are more than welcome. But basically what you see on the web site is it. Contact your local and state rep’s, we are just trying to give you the means to do it in the easiest way possible. Show up for our mass ride in April, we are working on getting all the local media there. If you think we are trying to pull something over on the MTB community you can go to rec.conspiricys.tucsonmountainbiking and give them a hand. We just want to save a riding area, hell its not even one of my favorites, but if we don’t take a stand and try, it’s gone forever. The one next door to you is sure to follow.

If you have any ideas on what else we can do. Just let us know. [email protected]

We are trying to get the flyers and petitions into shops ASAP but we all have “real’ jobs, not to mention the printing expenses are all out of our own pockets.

Even if you don’t like someone it does not mean that you can not work together to get to a common goal. The rest of the “board” members can put there names on here if they wish or not it is up to them and it really shouldn’t matter.

Jon Shouse
I don't really ride it either, but, you're right, time to say something.

So to repeat, petitions will be out at our place for the Fling, I'll take one on to Sedona and I'll be on the ride, April 16th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,747 Posts
Time to start...

...thinking about "Plan B"?

You know, money talks and if there is interest in making money by selling the land that Fantasy Island resides on, then, unfortunately, you're fighting a lost cause. I know, that's a defeatist attitude. But this crap happens. I've _never_ seen even the most well thought out debates for preserving an endangered trail succeed. I helped to lead a local fight to save a fabulous trail system and in spite of our best efforts and intentions, and in spite of a mass showing of support by well over 400 MTB'ers showing up for the City Council meeting on the matter, the trail system was still closed.

Yes, it greatly saddens me to know that Fantasy Island is a "gonner". But I think you should channel your consorted efforts into the replacement. Ask the city of Tucson for another section of unoccupied public property that is comparable in acreage and topology to Fantasy Island and ask that this be designated as a venue for replacement trails. This has worked for us, albeit a slow process. Nonetheless, we now have two new local trail systems to replace the one that was lost. No, they are not as conveniently located in proximity, but that, in the long run, is a good thing. It means that they'll stave off suburbia far into the future. Hurrah for "Plan B"!

Once again, I'm very sorry for the loss. I will miss blasting around that roller-coaster at least once every year. Good luck in your fight. If I lived there I'd be standing with you,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Advocacy Groups

I have been in contact with MTB Access. They will assist us with economic impact studies if we need them.

No response form IMBA as of yet.

Jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Evil Patrick said:
...thinking about "Plan B"?

You know, money talks and if there is interest in making money by selling the land that Fantasy Island resides on, then, unfortunately, you're fighting a lost cause. I know, that's a defeatist attitude. But this crap happens. I've _never_ seen even the most well thought out debates for preserving an endangered trail succeed. I helped to lead a local fight to save a fabulous trail system and in spite of our best efforts and intentions, and in spite of a mass showing of support by well over 400 MTB'ers showing up for the City Council meeting on the matter, the trail system was still closed.

Yes, it greatly saddens me to know that Fantasy Island is a "gonner". But I think you should channel your consorted efforts into the replacement. Ask the city of Tucson for another section of unoccupied public property that is comparable in acreage and topology to Fantasy Island and ask that this be designated as a venue for replacement trails. This has worked for us, albeit a slow process. Nonetheless, we now have two new local trail systems to replace the one that was lost. No, they are not as conveniently located in proximity, but that, in the long run, is a good thing. It means that they'll stave off suburbia far into the future. Hurrah for "Plan B"!

Once again, I'm very sorry for the loss. I will miss blasting around that roller-coaster at least once every year. Good luck in your fight. If I lived there I'd be standing with you,
There's always a "Plan B" and what you have stated it exactly what we are doing. The main thing we have in our favor is that the City, for the most part, wants to see FI turned into a park. The State may own the land but the City controls the zoning...poor zoning low land worth.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top