Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you brave enough, the Godfather and I will be making the trip to the west side for some freeride goodness Saturday morning. :thumbsup: Contact me for more info.

The West Side is footage from Dec 31.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The Godfather rocks. One of New Mexico's most beloved, respected, inspiring and valuable bike personalities. Makes some sweet films too.
Have fun, fellas!

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
On Top of Spaghetti

delnorte said:
The Godfather rocks. One of New Mexico's most beloved, respected, inspiring and valuable bike personalities. Makes some sweet films too.
Have fun, fellas!
FSM, get a room already.

How's the car hunt going?

·
7MGTE
1,708 Posts
When the camera is on...

Things can go really good or in some cases really really bad. Yesterday nothing but good esp. when the God Father is in town. :thumbsup: :eekster:

So a few days ago I get a call from Larry saying "get the Jedi ready the GF is coming down Sat.". Well the heart started pumping because when the GF is in town you better bring your A game and your balls :eekster:.

I was told we would be rolling out about 6 AM :eek: WTF? When I heard that I knew there was no way I would be on time for that. I let Larry know I will see you about 9:30 I will be in a 4X4 so I will just meet you at the yellow hills. Man drive is pretty far so I can see why we only hit this area 1-2 times a year. Lucky for me yesterday was one of those days.

After parking I started to unload and watch the show. Show you may ask? Well if you had a chance ride with the GF you know, just watch and learn (or try to learn :)). Larry and the GF had touched up the small lip on the step up and camera was already rolling. It was little cold for me and I was rusty on the big bike so I took a safety break and enjoyed the show. Man it was dope! X-ups, one footers, no footers, one handers, OMG :eekster: The GF was showing us how it IS done boy.

Watching that you can help to get fired up. II hit the line Rich was nailing and was little out of control. Dialed in fork and rear some and hit line a few more times. Felt good wanted to try a one footer or one hander but the brain had other plans :lol:. Tried not to beat my self up early on in the day, Heidi drop and other stuff still to come.

Speaking of Heidi drop lighting was good so Rich and Larry were already setting up for those shoots. I still had not put on armor so I asked Rich, "you putting on armor?". He said no :eekster: When in Rome I guess? So I decided to do the same but hoped that I was not going to pay for that decision later. I looked over at the Heidi drop and every time I look at it, it looks big. Rich again was ripping it with style :thumbsup: I was able to try some bar tweeks and a half as x-up but we did not sesh to much. The impact from that drop is hard on the wrists and ankles (even on a bigger big).

We moved back to the top of the hill to sesh the last line on the back side. We all had a good time trying the first half of that line. Again we did this for a bit but moved lower for the bigger jump. The jump is about the same size as jump higher up on the hill but this one is faster. The landing is also longer so if you want to send it you really can. More of the same it was cool to watch Rich ripping it up.

We were all getting tired and day was winding down so Rich said "Ricky why don't you try to send your last one". Well I guess I am guilty the camera courage came out so I went back up for one more. So I dropped in and sent it :eekster: I knew I was going to be floating but I guess I still did not plan on floating that long. I felt like I popped it super good and had good pitch on the bike and on the way down. Well then things got eye opening to say the least because front end was still pitching but I was still floating (on the way down). I knew I had missed judged some so I thought for sure I was going end over end for a few flips (starting with me going OTB on the DH bike). I tried to adjust w/in the last sec of this by getting all my body behind the seat. Well even with that the impact was so big that my body still came flying forward so hard I thought an OTB was still in the works.

Well not sure how but somehow I pulled it out. I am so glad I did not freak out to bad because that could have took me out for a bit. I was thanking my lucky stars for sure and told the guys "I AM F*CKING DONE!". The guys laughed and said yeah it looked like you got out there. I told them yeah almost killed myself on the landing :eekster: Funny thing is I just rem. that I had no upper body armor still. I am so glad that went well but next time I am suiting up.

I know, I know, I write up with no pics! :madmax: We were not there to shot still pics Rich was filming for a new vid but can't be real sure on that. We were just having fun and hanging out. I do not think vid footage will be posted due to the fact that I hope it comes out in one big vid. (GF vid). Maybe Rich will send me the 5-10 sec clip of my last jump. That's about the only entertaining footage I got from the day so I will post it on Vimeo if I get it.

Thanks Larry and the GF for an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we hit Jury next? PLEASE! I know, I know, be careful what you wish for :lol:.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was an awesome day! Conditions couldn't of been any better, especially in January.l. You both really stepped it up and we did get some great footage. The place really has some potential, now just to get out there on a regular basis...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it is! It's nice to see some of my handy work, rather then it end up on the cutting room floor. I can't wait to ride this weekend!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it is! It's nice to see some of my handy work, rather then it end up on the cutting room floor. I can't wait to ride this weekend!

·
Bandolero
1,566 Posts
rsclimb said:
It was so great riding in nice warm weather I just had do a quick little teaser from the outake footage that I didn't use
Awesome Rich:thumbsup:
RCC

·
7MGTE
1,708 Posts
Sick!!!

Man it sure was an awesome day yesterday. Perfect weather, some of the sickest stuff I have been able to witness for sure.

So we head out to the West side again to rip the yellow hills. Rich and Collin were about 15 mins ahead of us. Larry was hauling ass the bikes almost came flying out till we got him to slow down, LARRY! :madmax: All was good finally meet up with the GF and Colin.

Get out to Clam Island and saw some moto stuff so we seshed this spot for the morn. We all suited up and pushed up the hill to get things started. I was little so going so I was watching from the truck. A few secs later I heard the crash :eek: Aaron started early with the spills so he took the helmet off the clear his head. No much later I finally get up the hill and Larry goes down from the jump we call the Pellet gun.

Fairly quickly the God Father and Collin started ripping the Shoot Gun (double barrel) :eekster: Holy smokes, this is like a 20-30 (can make it as big as you want I guess) hip out. Man like I said above I was just watching the show. It was like watching a movie I was very lucky to be with this crowd today.

Well Collin starts to look at the 20-30 foot drop. Again it depends how fast you hit this as well but man it will get you shacking just standing at the top looking into it, much less trying to roll into it :eekster: Collin checked it a few times and BAM!!! Nailed it sick like 2-3 times! I looked at it as well and manit gets your blood pumping. Took me a few roll ins but some how when for it. Was not as cool as Collin but hell we all got to start somewhere.

Finishing up at this spot I tried to hit the right side of the Double Barrel. I did not hip at all and that put me into the soft dirt. Front caught and went a flopping, :lol:. Well thanks to the DOT helmet and armor I was not doing as bad as I thought. Oh well, can't clean them all but no time to cry because round two coming.

Daniel and Aaron were already ripping when we rolled up. They had left about 20 mins ahead of us. I was a little stiff and I was here last week so I watched for a bit. I thought if I should call it a day at this point. Well Larry comes up to the truck little dusty. He told me, "man I took little spill again F*CK!". I asked if ok and he said yeah.

I was feeling better and Collin and the GF stated they stumbled onto a 20-25 foot step down! :eekster: Guess it was some old Moto jump or something hard to tell. Like I said I just sat back and watched :cool: It was sick watching Collin and the GF ripping it.

I joined in for a bit ripped it a few times. I was getting tired and let them know this is my last run, BTW never say its your last run. I dropped in and railed pretty darn fast but felt good. Popped it the way I wanted and fig. I would not brake check and pop the hip out at the bottom. WRONG! :madman: The hip out was not worn in to much and I forgot to preload. When I landed the impact was tough. Lost my wind for about 30 secs, tire tracks on my back but was not as bad as I though. Lucky for me Dan was on hand he is an EMT. No broken bones, all is good :thumbsup: Thanks again Dan.

Just wanted to thank Rich, Larry, Dan, Collin and Aaron for an awesome day.

If any of you locals are into some big lines or FRing then you should visit the Yellow Hills. You will be glad you did but bring your armor and your balls! :eekster:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts