Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The A Ride

So, truth be told I went with the A ride because I knew I'd be the only one with a camera and would have no competition :)

The A ride was fun and at a friendly pace. I spent most of the ride watching the single-speeders wondering how anyone could conceive riding a SS in Coe.. my hat is off to you guys! The long option (here) got us 36.6 miles and about 7000 footies. None of us had the legs to descend Cross Canyon and Kelly Cabin Canyon in the end.

I was surprised when we started that we climbed Coit Rd instead of the usual Anza-Jackson. JL wanted to save energy and get to Middle Ridge as quickly as possible which turned out to be a very good call!

The other big reason to do the A ride was Middle Ridge! Can't get enough of this trail! On the way there, Plymmer showed us a new singletrack that bypasses one of the Mahoney Meadows climbs :thumbsup:

Big thanks to everyone involved in getting the Fall Circus planned and organized!

Route: Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Rd » Coit Rd » Mahoney Meadows Rd » Unnamed Singletrack » Mahoney Meadows Rd » China Hole (down) » China Hole (up) » Manzanita Point Rd » Flat Frog » something steep » Middle Ridge » Poverty Flat Rd for lunch. Plymmer abandons us for the tasty option of climbing up Jackass Trail.

After lunch, Shafer Corral » Mahoney Meadows » Lost Spring » Mahoney Meadows » Unnamed singletrack » Coit Rd.

Here the single-speeders went down Cross Canyon and Grapevine while those of us with gears, headed higher for a longer downhill to the end.: Coit Rd » Wasno Rd » Domino Pond » Cattle Duster » Grapevine » Anza » Coit » Gilroy Hot Springs Rd » Hunting Hollow.

The A riders climb up Coit Rd

Where there is water and Plymmer, there shall be rock skipping

Manzanita Point Rd with the anticipation of Flat Frog on our minds

Plymmer contemplating his options (this may be the last sighting of his legs for a while)!

Pimp-Al crosses the creek at the end of Flat Frog

I swear this bike actually floated on the water with its huge front tire!

Regrouping at the top of the Poverty Flat Rd climb

Plymmer says "see ya suckers" and ascends Jackass Trail

New golf putting green and sand trap at Los Cruzeros

Resolve was fading after the Lost Spring Trail climb.. the words "bailout option" were spoken

Bart, JL and I cruised over Coit and Wasno to Domino Pond for the standard Domino/Cattle/Grapevine/Anza downhill back

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts

I had a great time. I started out with the A group and on middle ridge caught up with Jeff and Paul and decided to go with them to (as Jeff called it) Funkytown. I knew there was intense pain and climbing involved and felt very strong yesterday. Great riding with JL's group and chatting with various members of the group. I love the social aspects of these rides. Great conversations. Lovely. Middle Ridge was a blast. I was being tailed and made me faster and making a very great descent. Thanks for having.

The second bit of the ride was also well enjoyed. Pain, glorious pain. Up Jack Ass Trail. Too many trees down to clean. The volunteers and I will have to get out there with hand saws and clean it up yet again. I was knackered after that! Then it was up the first bit of Blue Ridge Road (by that time Jeff and Paul were hike-a-biking) which I cleaned. I was having a glorious climbing day. Then down Black Oak Spring Trail. Fun and remote. Also, very raw and treacherous, hard to stay on the trail. Not many trees down there. Very clear. We stopped at Black Oak Spring to fill up with water. All of us were low. Very good water and remote. Thanks Springs Committee! Then down to the bottom. Up an excruciating climb to Hat Rock.

At the top, we rested. Nobody climbed Hat Rock. One imitated it.

Then the descent down Rock House Ridge Trail. Long and great and fast! We all had big smiles on our face after that one. The Narrows Trail then the Mahoney Wall, Lost Spring Trail and a rest at the top. And there was the group of about 7 we saw at Poverty Flat. Back then one of the riders was crossing a deep creek and made a spectacular flop into the water, completely drenched. We laughed a bit, then karmically Jeff toppled into the creek. Paul and I played it safe. I chatted with them a bit and rested. Back a bit sore. Worth it.

Onward. Continue on. We came out on Coit road from Mahoney Meadows Road and climbed to Cross Canyon Trail. Jeff stopped to rest strategically past the trail head. He was bound to head to Middle Steer Ridge Trail, bless him. We were pretty tired and climbing the Coit Road proved difficult. Paul was cramping and I was slow (as I get on long ascents up fire roads).

We took Wasno (pronounced "was no" since there "was no" road there before, way back when) to Dexter Trail and flew down that. So many great descents in one day! I love this place!!!! Grizzly Gulch Trail to the beginning of the horrifying Serpentine Trail. Ahhhhhh!! Determined to clean it yet again, I went 1st. 7 tough sections. One by one I did it all. A thorough cleaning. I had to lay down. Good thing I was way ahead of Paul and Jeff. They arrived later and I saddled up for the wonder known as Middle Steer Ridge Trail and what a descent. The crown jewel of Coe (not taking away from Middle Ridge descent). Too much fun. You have to pay for your pleasure at Coe. I'll pay that any day.

Down in HH parking lot (after several creek crossings) we see only 2 from the day's festivities. Larry and Charlie. I was very happy to see Larry as I haven't talked to him for a while. I know he loves Coe and was glad his exile from the place was lifted. Jolly banter and glowing in our feat of the day. Looks like it was a near 10K. 9,500 ft. I'm glad I found Jeff and Paul. Nice to extend the ride. Thanks again for letting me hang with the A group. Fun! Great event!

Roy.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Call our ride what you will, FE and I peeled off the back of the B ride and picked up some of the 'no fireroad' C riders. The collective allure of riding primarily singletrack over the alternative fire roads and in addition to that, descending swoopy, fun singletrack made for a good group ride.

I am notoriously bad with trail names so here's a link to the track and good luck! Google Earth We went about 16 miles and 3100'. Sounds like a good ratio to me!

Now, for pictures:

Tasty morsel:

FE:

Karen:

Randy:

JustJeff:

ibkrgal and FE:

ATBScott:

Regroup:

Fearless Leader at a normally empty pond:

Between a broken spoke (FE) and a stuck brake caliper (Scott) repair during this ride, I would allow these guys to work on my bike any time...that is if they live through it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A little bruised,bloody ,sprained and sweaty.It was a great ride! Thanks to everyone who had a hand in putting this together.The food was awesome,the people as always are great,and lots of cool pictures.
Now I understand what the co. factor is all about.I'll looking forward to the next ride

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Corrections

plymmer said:
Down in HH parking lot (after several creek crossings) we see only 2 from the day's festivities. Larry and Charlie. I was very happy to see Larry as I haven't talked to him for a while. I know he loves Coe and was glad his exile from the place was lifted. Jolly banter and glowing in our feat of the day. Looks like it was a near 10K. 9,500 ft. ...
Roy.
I was happy to see you yesterday as well. I was hanging around with Charlie who I hadn't seen for a while, also hoping to catch you come in. I always enjoy your write ups. Not many get the sadomasochistic spirit of Henry Coe, that superb combination of remote harshness, beauty, and pain. (Although for me it's often more exhaustion than pain since I don't even attempt to ride up the things you can do.)

I've not been exiled from Henry Coe. Rather I've been doing solo trips there over the last months, as I'm too slow for group rides and enjoy my own pace. I often rode solo before MTBR group rides, but my wife worried too much. Now my SPOT PLB helps her fears about me going solo. Yesterday's delightful trip makes me want to get back there even more often. I can't believe it took until now discover Middle Steer Ridge, right there at HH, after all my years of riding deep into HC.

And let me add detail to your "9500" title:
Roy's Calories Expended: 9500
Roy's Calories Consumed: 130 (maybe a cookie)

In contrast, here's my stats:
BL's Calories Expended: 3400
BL's Calories Consumed: 3400 What a great BBQ! :thumbsup:

We're sure to run into each other again some day. I'm glad to see you got the newer Vista GPS for logging your journeys.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thanks for sharing your cool pix Dan!

dan51 said:
Great ride today. Next time we won't be doing the suffer fest up Serpentine.
It did feel like we were going uphill all day though.
Thanks for the snacks and tri-tip JJ.

Thanks Dan...it was great riding with you and the crew this weekend, albeit only for a short time! Hopefully I can hang out longer on the next ride!

Regards,
Switchbaxr

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Middle Steer Ridge Trail

BigLarry said:
I can't believe it took until now discover Middle Steer Ridge, right there at HH, after all my years of riding deep into HC.

And let me add detail to your "9500" title:
Roy's Calories Expended: 9500
Roy's Calories Consumed: 130 (maybe a cookie)

In contrast, here's my stats:
BL's Calories Expended: 3400
BL's Calories Consumed: 3400 What a great BBQ! :thumbsup:

We're sure to run into each other again some day. I'm glad to see you got the newer Vista GPS for logging your journeys.
I've been finishing my rides with Middle Steer Ridge Trail for a while now. A couple of years ago Tahoe BC converted me to the glory that is Middle Steer Ridge Trail. I feel I deserve it after Serpentine rather than just coming out of Mahoney Meadows Road and going up Coit Road a short distance then doing Grapevine.

I did eat. I had a Cliff Bar. That seemed enough.

Roy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
ratpick said:
So, truth be told I went with the A ride because I knew I'd be the only one with a camera and would have no competition :)

The A ride was fun and at a friendly pace. I spent most of the ride watching the single-speeders wondering how anyone could conceive riding a SS in Coe.. my hat is off to you guys! The long option (here) got us 36.6 miles and about 7000 footies. None of us had the legs to descend Cross Canyon and Kelly Cabin Canyon in the end.

I was surprised when we started that we climbed Coit Rd instead of the usual Anza-Jackson. JL wanted to save energy and get to Middle Ridge as quickly as possible which turned out to be a very good call!

The other big reason to do the A ride was Middle Ridge! Can't get enough of this trail! On the way there, Plymmer showed us a new singletrack that bypasses one of the Mahoney Meadows climbs :thumbsup:

Big thanks to everyone involved in getting the Fall Circus planned and organized!

Route: Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Rd » Coit Rd » Mahoney Meadows Rd » Unnamed Singletrack » Mahoney Meadows Rd » China Hole (down) » China Hole (up) » Manzanita Point Rd » Flat Frog » something steep » Middle Ridge » Poverty Flat Rd for lunch. Plymmer abandons us for the tasty option of climbing up Jackass Trail.

After lunch, Shafer Corral » Mahoney Meadows » Lost Spring » Mahoney Meadows » Unnamed singletrack » Coit Rd.

Here the single-speeders went down Cross Canyon and Grapevine while those of us with gears, headed higher for a longer downhill to the end.: Coit Rd » Wasno Rd » Domino Pond » Cattle Duster » Grapevine » Anza » Coit » Gilroy Hot Springs Rd » Hunting Hollow.

Nice pics Patrick and good call on bringing your camera for the A group. It was probably the only proof that an "A" group existed for the Coe ride;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
plymmer said:
I had a great time. I started out with the A group and on middle ridge caught up with Jeff and Paul and decided to go with them to (as Jeff called it) Funkytown...
Too bad I couldn't make it on Saturday, as descending Middle Ridge, Rock House Ridge and Middle Steer Ridge on a single ride is about the finest Coe route idea I can think of! Now if we could squeeze in Dutch's as well...

·
King Of Tooth Tarter
455 Posts
Dutch's Addition

ElHombre said:
Too bad I couldn't make it on Saturday, as descending Middle Ridge, Rock House Ridge and Middle Steer Ridge on a single ride is about the finest Coe route idea I can think of! Now if we could squeeze in Dutch's as well...
Well, there is next weekend. I had an idea to combine Bear Mt. with Dutch's. I bet that's a 10K. Something spectacular would be nice for the last day of DST.

Roy.

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
The wife and I saw the last group heading out when we pulled into the lot.
Looks like it was a great time.
Hope to make it to the next one.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
Okay, who did it?

Last Saturday, there was this down tree near the top of Cross Canyon Trail that Charlie had cleaned up a little. It looked like this:

Today, it has gotten all cleared and looked like this:

It could been cleared before or during yesterday's B ride, but looking back, we thought it was more likely to be this guy we ran into on Cross Canyon Trail (a little before the last creek crossing). He was wearing a red kit and riding an old (clicking and cluncking) Giant NRS with a very long saw duct taped to the top tube :eekster: . When we ran into him, we all stopped and exchanged friendly greetings. He said, "The trail had been cleared up now." We thought he meant the trail was in good condition and had been cleared up due to yesterday's traffic, so we sincerely agreed with him. Only after I rode past that spot where I was supposed to crawl under a tree, it dawned on me what he could have meant. Anyway, if nobody else claims the credit, and if someone reading this thread knows this guy based on my description, please give him a shout out that we said "Thank you!"

BTW, I'm sorry we had to miss the fun ride with the group, but all the great pictures and stories somewhat made up for my loss. Thanks! After my last weekend's pre-ride with Charlie and Derek, I really wanted to take Erik on this totally awesome route (Thanks Dan for the great idea). We had plans for Saturday and Sunday is our Coe buddy Derek's riding day anyway, so we were a day late for the Fall Circus, but a perfect ride nonetheless. :)

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
mudworm said:
Last Saturday, there was this down tree near the top of Cross Canyon Trail that Charlie had cleaned up a little. It looked like this::)
That tree was clear yesterday as we climbed. AFAIK, nobody from the B ride cleared it.
Must be trail fairies.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What a fun time for my first HCFC. Great weather, singletrack, food, meeting new peeps...what more can you ask for?
Thanks JustJeff, Fast Eddy, Dan'ger, Atbscott,Ibikergal, and my SO, Randy for suggesting all the awsome singletrack.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks JL for leading us around you did a fantastic job.
I know there was a part of you that wanted to be watching your son race,
so I appreciate you being there. Hope to see you again in Dec,
And It was great to ride with the other A group riders as well,
Great first time for me at Coe!
Mark
We'll have to do it again soon. May be a HCWC at the end of December?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Dan'ger said:
I am notoriously bad with trail names so here's a link to the track and good luck!
Looks to me like: Hunting Hollow » Gilroy Hot Springs Rd » Coit Rd » Anza » Jackson » Elderberry Springs (lower) » Rock Tower » Elderberry Springs (upper) » Jackson Rd » Wasno Rd » Domino Pond » Cattle Duster » Coit Spring » Grapevine » Anza » Coit Rd » Gilroy Hot Springs Rd » Hunting Hollow

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
ElHombre said:
Pretty fun combo, I think Rock House Ridge is even faster than middle ridge, at least it was Saturday according to my top speed-o-meter.

We decided we should strap a 40 pound bag of potatoes to Roy so he can see what it's like for us to climb those hills :p or donate his body to science.

Check out the photo's of my new BFF I met this weekend.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.