Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saturday October 24 Henry Coe Fall Circus (HCFC)

Even without BigLarry around, we should have a HCFC before it starts raining too much. I propose Saturday October 24 at Hunting Hollow on Gilroy Hotsprings Road (NOT at Coe head quarters!).
A ride (9am) includes China Hole, Middle Ridge, Lost Spring, Cross-Canyon, Kelly Cabin Canyon, Domino Pond, Grapevine and Anza trails.
B ride (9:30am) see Dan's reply for route. Ride leaders: Dan and Charlie.
C/D ride (10am) takes Coit Road and Wasno Road to Tule Pond. Back via Grizzly Gulch with Big Larry (D ride) or Serpentine/Middle Steer Ridge. Ride leader: Mike

Everybody back at HH parking lot between 3 and 4pm for the barbeque and recovery drinks.

Note: bring $6 for HH parking. Let's keep our State Parks open!

P.S. 7:30am carpool from Cupertino available. pm me for details

·
Older than I feel
1,814 Posts
Damn, I'm busy elsewhere that day. That's the ROMP Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Ride.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
B ride info

Watch this post for updates to the B ride.

The B ride route we have decided on will be roughly:
HH>Anza>Jackson>Elderberry>Wasno>Kelly Lake>Kelly Cabin Trail>Cross Canyon>Grapevine>Cattle Duster>Domino>Wasno>Dexter>Grizzly Gultch>Serpentine>Middle Steer Ridge>HH.

Last time we did this Charlie's stats were:
23 miles, 4,700 feet, 6:15 total time,and 4:00 moving time

-Dan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
dan51 said:
I've been meaning to post this for a week or so now.
Skyline35 and I discussed it, decided we should still do it, and I'm glad to see we already have people excited.

HH>Anza>Jackson>Elderberry>Wasno>Kelly Lake>Kelly Cabin Trail>Cross Canyon>Grapevine>Cattle Duster>Domino>Wasno>Dexter>Grizzly Gultch>Serpentine>Middle Steer Ridge>HH.

-Dan
This is one of my favorite rides! WooHooo!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
OK, it all sounds good.
Make sure to be at Hunting Hollow half an hour before depart time to get ready.
I'll lead the A ride starting at 9am. The route:
Coit Road - Mahoney Meadows - China Hole - Manzanita - Flat Frog - Middle Ridge - Poverty Flat - Shafers - Narrows - Mahoney Meadows - Lost Spring - Mahoney Meadows - left on Coit Road. There will be a time/energy check at Cross - Canyon. If there's enough time/energy: turn left, down on Cross Canyon - up Kelly Cabin Canyon and right on Coit Road to Wasno Road, otherwise go straight on Coit Road to Wasno Road. Either route finishes with one of the best downhills in Coe: Domino Pond - Cattle Duster - Grapevine - (optional) Anza and Coit Road back to Hunting Hollow.

Charlie and Dan will lead their B ride at 9:30am.
And Mike (discus) has volunteered to lead his version of the C ride at 10am.
As long as we're all back exhausted between 3 and 4pm for the party it's all good.
It would be nice if BigLarry leads a D ride at 11am for old time's sake.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,482 Posts
dan51 The B ride route we have decided on will be roughly: HH>Anza>Jackson>Elderberry>Wasno>Kelly Lake>Kelly Cabin Trail>Cross Canyon>Grapevine>Cattle Duster>Domino>Wasno>Dexter>Grizzly Gultch>Serpentine>Middle Steer Ridge>HH. [/QUOTE said:
:thumbsup: Should be well worth skipping middle ridge for that.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
I'm in for this!
B ride most likely....
And i'll try to remember the cooler this time around...

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
JL de Jong said:
I'll lead the A ride starting at 9am. The route:
Coit Road - Mahoney Meadows - China Hole - Manzanita - Flat Frog - Middle Ridge - Poverty Flat - Shafers - Narrows - Mahoney Meadows - Lost Spring - Mahoney Meadows - left on Coit Road. There will be a time/energy check at Cross - Canyon. If there's enough time/energy: turn left, down on Cross Canyon - up Kelly Cabin Canyon and right on Coit Road to Wasno Road, otherwise go straight on Coit Road to Wasno Road. Either route finishes with one of the best downhills in Coe: Domino Pond - Cattle Duster - Grapevine - (optional) Anza and Coit Road back to Hunting Hollow.
A friend of mine recommended that I try this route. I'm going to try and make it. I've heard Middle Ridge is awesome.

Who's bringin what? I'll bring a cooler of beers if I can make it.

·
Medium?
6,726 Posts
dan51 said:
I'm in (80%), but that does <i><b>not</b></i> sound like a 'B' ride.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
I'm in (80%), but that does <i><b>not</b></i> sound like a 'B' ride.
That's totally a B ride at our pace. Serpentine might push it to a B+.
If we get enough rain the Kelly Cabin and X Canyon trails will be fun.

·
Medium?
6,726 Posts
dan51 said:
That's totally a B ride at our pace. Serpentine might push it to a B+.
If we get enough rain the Kelly Cabin and X Canyon trails will be fun.
You haven't seen my pace lately. I'm working on it. I'll be ready for something by then.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just saw BigLarry lurking! Are you thinking about it?

P.S. Does this event qualify for a "sticky"?

·
Slowest Rider
5,235 Posts
JL de Jong said:
I just saw BigLarry lurking! Are you thinking about it?

P.S. Does this event qualify for a "sticky"?
Heard about this thread through the MTB grapevine. (Yes, I still ride a lot, usually with my wife and/or the mere mortals these days.)

With Dan51 and Skyline35, you've got the right 'numbers' you need.

For old time's sake, I might happen to ride along, but don't count on my leading anything. This will be your event now.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts