Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A cool desert Spider like I've never seen before.[/QUOTE]

I sent off a photo to an arachnid expert and this is the reply.

Yes, it is an opilionid. James Cokendolpher, an expert on this group, identified your photos as showing a species of Eurybunus (no common name). As to which species, he can't tell from the photo. In fact, it could be a new species.

If you carry a small plastic jar with you on future mountain bike outings and spot another of these, please send the live specimen in the jar (with openings for air pierced in the lid and 2 - 3 drops of water on the bottom) in a small box to:

Thank you.
Jerome Rovner

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
Yes, it is an opilionid. James Cokendolpher, an expert on this group, identified your photos as showing a species of Eurybunus (no common name). As to which species, he can't tell from the photo. In fact, it could be a new species.

If you carry a small plastic jar with you on future mountain bike outings and spot another of these, please send the live specimen in the jar (with openings for air pierced in the lid and 2 - 3 drops of water on the bottom) in a small box to:

Thank you.
Jerome Rovner
Wow, that'd be cool if you discovered a new species of spider. I wonder if they would let you name it...

I don't think I will be carrying plastic jars out on the trail though... hubby is arachnophobic and would flip out if I stopped to pick up spiders along the way ;)

- Jen.

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
I just want everyone to know before matt gets all the credit for discovering a new species and has it named after him and all..... that I actually spotted the little critter. :p

It was a great ride. Thanks for hooking up with me early, Matt. I'll probably post some images later.

What happened to you, Eric? Did we scare you off with the Oh dark thirty start time. We waited until about 6:05. I hope we didn't leave before you got there.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
KRob said:
I just want everyone to know before matt gets all the credit for discovering a new species and has it named after him and all..... that I actually spotted the little critter. :p

Kent is right -- he spotted the little critter. I guess optometrists do know something about keeping the eyes in shape. ;)

matt

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
E ! said:
Got a fever. Been laying around all weekend :(
Arent kids great? Just when youy think your feeling good the kid gets sick and then gets everyone else sick as well:)

Yea, Im back from San Diego. Luckily I got a 13 miler in before leaving. I feel like a lazy sum-***** from not being on the bike in a few days. Of course today is nice and windy so another day before I can ride again:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.