Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up for a road ride tomorrow in NE Mesa? I have this beautiful road bike hanging in the garage that is getting no love at all. I plan to start tomorrow around 6AM at my folk's house in Las Sendas, ride by the Walgreen's at Thomas/Power, and then head up Power/Bush Hwy to Saguero Lake. After a look at the lake will turn around and then head back Usery Pass Road and return via McDowell. Looks like about only 30 miles. If feeling good, I will extend the ride beyond the lake up to the Beeline.

I'm still new at this roadie thing so I have no clue how my pace compares to other riders. If anyone is up for a little road action tomorrow, I would love to have some company!! We can meet at the Walgreen's at Thomas and Power. Post up if interested and we can set a time.

thx, Kathleen
 

·
Something goes here...
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Sure, I talk about selling my roadie and all of a sudden there's talk about roadie riding! Darn you DG! Know I'm second guessing it again.

Can't make tomorrow though b/c the wife works early and I'll be home with the kiddies as usual. I'm doing the Saturday evening Pemberton ride.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crash_FLMB said:
Sure, I talk about selling my roadie and all of a sudden there's talk about roadie riding! Darn you DG! Know I'm second guessing it again.

Can't make tomorrow though b/c the wife works early and I'll be home with the kiddies as usual. I'm doing the Saturday evening Pemberton ride.
Sell your road bike and you'll have a bit more cash in your pocket - but not enough to fund a new 29er nor enough for a new road bike. IMO, selling your road bike just doesn't make sense unless you need the space in your garage. Keep your road bike!!! The love will come back.

I'm passing on the Pemberton ride because I know myself... I will work/play all day Saturday and will be pooped by Sat night with no energy left for a nite ride. Have fun!
 

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Just now reading this post...

See what happens when you go on vacation?!?! Shoot... Would like to have done this ride. Been wanting to check out that area for road riding. Maybe next time!
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This road stuff is fun!!! Too bad you guys couldn't join, but I did have the company of Juan (Vato). After some saddle and handlebar adjustments last fall, I finally have the Roubaix fitting me so perhaps it's time to take it out a bit more. We started up at the top of the hill in Las Sendas, down to Power, North on Bush Hwy out to Saguero Lake, down to the marina and out to the end of the parking along the lake, brief but wonderful stop at strategically placed outhouse :rolleyes: , then all in reverse except for climbing out of the Salt River valley on Usery Pass Rd, cutting over on McDowell, up Hawes, and back home! Route was 33ish miles and was just beautiful!!! It's hard to believe that I live in this paradise called AZ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Pssssst - over here!!!

Some guy I know is looking for a lung-busting road climb up to the sth mtn radio towers this Saturday or Sunday early morning. DG, are you interested in leading? I could figure it out.....uhm, I mean MY FRIEND could figure it out but he has never done the route. Can you help this guy out?

Gawd, I'm so ashamed!!!!!!!
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AZClydesdale said:
Some guy I know is looking for a lung-busting road climb up to the sth mtn radio towers this Saturday or Sunday early morning. DG, are you interested in leading? I could figure it out.....uhm, I mean MY FRIEND could figure it out but he has never done the route. Can you help this guy out?

Gawd, I'm so ashamed!!!!!!!
So, your friend needs an escort? Is he single? haha. While I'd be happy to lead, all who ride with me know that I "lead" by coming up with the idea then the faster riders take the front lines and I take my role as a sweep.... but sure, I'll give it a shot!

Here's an idea... Start from my house in Ahwatukee near Elliot/Equestrian and ride west ending up at the new development at the end of Pecos. We then do about 2.5 miles of skinny tire dirt riding thru the rez over to 51st Ave and head north. We then scoot around the mountain to Central and ride up, up, up to the towers. Back down we go and then head east and south to Ahwatukee to complete our circle around SoMo, ending the ride by collapsing in the pool. I've done this route once before and like it better than the typical round-the-mtn route of going far south in order to stay on paved roads. Some may have issues taking their road bikes on dirt, but not me and I'm thinking many of you won't give a hoot. Sure the bike will get dusty, but we take it easy so as to avoid flats. It'll be like we're all on 29ers without suspension!!

Waddya think? This Saturday, 6 AM start??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Dangit Kathleen, wouldn't you know it that he is married? I'm going to have to take a survey in some of these other riding groups. Surely "he" is out there somewhere (and my guess riding a sweet niner).

Thanks for the offer - I look forward to Saturday! I'll leave my commuter tires on the roadbike, I'm in it for the burn.

How long does it take to do this route?
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AZClydesdale said:
Dangit Kathleen, wouldn't you know it that he is married? I'm going to have to take a survey in some of these other riding groups. Surely "he" is out there somewhere (and my guess riding a sweet niner).

Thanks for the offer - I look forward to Saturday! I'll leave my commuter tires on the roadbike, I'm in it for the burn.

How long does it take to do this route?
Yo Steve - The route I described around and up SoMo is about 50 miles. It's going to be hotter than hell Saturday morning with a predicted low of 90 degrees. I figure it'll take a minimum of 3.5 hours. Do we really want to do this? No matter what time we start it's going to be blazing hot and probably sticky too. As much as I love to start rides at my house (get up and go), perhaps a ride at slightly higher elevation away from the heat caused by urban sprawl in the NE valley would be smarter. Waddya think? We could do the same ride that I did last week, or perhaps the one you suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
I'll do whichever ride you prefer. That does sound like a hot ride.

I lean toward anything out of my usual Ftn Hills/Scottsdale routine. Maybe something between 20 - 40 miles depending on the heat index and climbs involved?

Can the Sth Mtn ride be shortened to the radio tower climb and a few additional miles?

Do you prefer a Mummy Mtn (PV) ride? Mesa?
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AZClydesdale said:
I'll do whichever ride you prefer. That does sound like a hot ride.

I lean toward anything out of my usual Ftn Hills/Scottsdale routine. Maybe something between 20 - 40 miles depending on the heat index and climbs involved?

Can the Sth Mtn ride be shortened to the radio tower climb and a few additional miles?

Do you prefer a Mummy Mtn (PV) ride? Mesa?
Let's start at the Farm (southwest of Southern Avenue & 32nd Street) and do an out-and-back to the towers. GoogleEarth mapping looks like it's about 14 miles one-way so that should work. The Farm should open at 8AM - perfect timing for coffee and breakfast after the ride if we start at 6. I'll call tomorrow to confirm that they will be open (602-276-6360 so I don't forget...). Anyone else interested in pulling out their skinny tire bikes for a spin up SoMo on Saturday morning?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Farm is closed through the summer and will re-open Sept 12. We can still ride from here or somewhere else - I don't care.

Any other mtbr roadies out there Saturday? We can keep your lycra affiliation anonymous if you prefer.
 

·
Kathleen in AZ
Joined
·
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AZClydesdale said:
Farm is closed through the summer and will re-open Sept 12. We can still ride from here or somewhere else - I don't care.

Any other mtbr roadies out there Saturday? We can keep your lycra affiliation anonymous if you prefer.
Darn it! Well, it's still a good place to meet for the ride and if we want breakfast afterwards we can head into Tempe. Let's park in the dirt lot across from the Farm on the SE corner of Southern & 32nd St. Plan to get there in time to ride @ 6AM. See you and any other brave lycra-clad closet mtbr roadies bright and early tomorrow morning!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top