Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chriffer and I are going to head down to Blue Marsh for our annual loop.

In the past we've done this earlier, and later, in the year - since it's going to be July I expect it's going to be a fairly warm day out there.

I will be packing a 100oz camelback filled with ice water, along with other provisions (like NUUN tablets).

Primary parking and meetup location will be the parking lot on Church Rd - see Google Info Map below.

The official half-way point is declared to be the State Rd access, if possible we'll want to have someone drop a vehicle with water/cooler there for people to replenish from.

Plan on post-ride swim and recovery time at the Church Rd location (e.g. cooler with chilled beverages), and unless someone comes up with a better option we can head over to the Blue Marsh Canteen for burgers n such before heading home.

I intend to drag Chriffer around for the Full Meal Deal - all 30 miles - but make no impositions on anyone else.

FIP (Feet In Pedals) is 8:30am at Church Rd for the 30m ride. With luck and not getting lost we'll be back to Church Rd in, say, 90 minutes.

Meet up for the remainder will again be at the Church Rd parking area, but at 10am.

I am planning on five hours time-on-trail for the 22 mile loop, with a group of 5 or more with reasonably minimal stopping. The main loop is NOT a technically challenging ride, it IS an endurance ride.

With a slower or larger group, more stopping, mechanical issues, or any combination of the above, the ride could easily take 7 hours end-2-end.

You've been warned.

The only real question to me is whether to go clock-wise or counter-clock-wise.

I'm leaning CCW since I haven't ridden it in that direction before, of course if we do that the likelihood of missing a turn is much higher.

Note: The last time I was down there one bridge was out, requiring a fording of the creek. Being the wuus that I am I doffed shoes and socks to keep them dry. I have no idea of that bridge has been replaced or not.

Google Info Map

22 Mile Loop on Garmin Connect

30 Mile Loop on Garmin Connect

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
Excellent...:thumbsup:

Will attend, hard pressed to find better fellas to ride miles of great trails with...;)

I would offer with your permission to do a slower pace group for those who have never ridden there or just wanna cruise, as to not hold up bear and chriffer, so if anyone wants to join me in the back your welcome to it!

It would be nice to see lots from our area hit this up!:thumbsup:

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to get more involved Lee, if we have enough then the hammer group can start later and catch-up to the rest somewhere on the lake loop.

The other thing we're missing is someone to drop cooler/water/snacks at State Rd. I don't think we should stop and have a picnic there but having some supplies and a bailout-vehicle may be prudent if we can put it together.

If there's enough interest then that could make an option for a 1/2 loop for those who don't feel up to the big one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds interesting. Except for the 30 mile in 90 minutes ride, if I read that correct, .... that would make it a 20 MPH average pace, I'm too old to do that pace for that long.

·
Registered
57 Posts
holy crap! this looks awesome! is it really technical/rocky or is it nice and rolly with a few climbs?
I rode the North and East side of the lake last weekend and it's been majorly smoothed out since last I rode there. A beach cruiser would have had no trouble. :) The west side is where it gets to be more work, but nothing too crazy.

As for the ride, please count me in. I've done the loop twice and Love it!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bear, when were done and you still have some energy left I can show you around Mt Penn or anyone that is interested in technical riding / xc .

·
wounded knee
1,369 Posts
I'm throwing my hat in the ring on this one, sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i'm in. i did some of the trail two weeks ago, puked 20 minutes into the ride! haha. it's not very difficult, i'm just out of shape and i pushed way too hard on the long-ish up hill sections. it's only 30 minutes away from me so it's close enough to practice often. tomorrow starts my second week of riding to and from work every day, 8 miles round trip, in addition to riding the trails on the weekends so by july i *should* be in shape enough to do the full loop with no problem. i hope anyway! lol

·
Fossil
437 Posts
I'm planning on joining. I've ridden with this group on this ride (well, OK, the 22/23 miler) and had a blast. Good mixed group. I totally support riding the loop CCW - somehow it's easier (hills less steep save for the rat-bastard ski area hill) plus you get to go DOWN Hell Hill - sweet!. Also, you can refill water at the Visitor Center which would be about 15 miles into the 23 or about 23 into the 31 when going CCW from Church Rd. Come to think of it... 23 miles into the 31 miler in July is a long way... maybe there should be water stashed somewhere...
Mike (the other one)

·
Registered
126 Posts
running water is always nice, i would think that by july the water should all be turned on. lol. i tried all the fountains i could find and nothing worked so i just filtered it out of the lake the last time i was there. it's not ice cold, but it's clean and tastes good.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts