Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some of you might enjoy a brief ride report on SART. Today I rode a short loop from Post Office towards Glass Road. I had not ridden up there in some time, and I was on a new Bike, so I wanted to see how the trail looked. As you know, they only had one big storm all Winter. Any at 5,000 feet, is mostly rained. Weather was an average of 59 degrees during my ride. Dropping in from the fire-road behind the Post Office to the Single-Track was interesting. The fairly steep drop in had one massive rut all the way down the middle of it, pretty deep and wide. I suspect the run-off created this big trench. What trail there was on the sides was off-camber, and with a gritty sand on top of hard-pack. Traction was limited. Once down the initial chute (about 1/4 mile), the trail was better, but lots of debris. I did not see many tire tracks, but there were some. The switch-backs were super sandy, with lots of deep silt. And there was the dead-fall too.

IMAG0476.jpg

On the way towards the first stream crossing, the trail was littered with rocks, pine cones, the usual fun stuff. As you appraiser the first stream, the exposure is substantial. It always has been, but I noticed in several places, the trail had eroded, and crumbles off the side into the Canyon.

View attachment 878557

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

The picture below shows near the first water crossing where the trail is now even more of a sliver than before. You could see a lot of the trail has slipped down. You could see exposed metal in the side of the
trail if you look closely, like chain link fence. This trail has always been a little sketchy in places, but it seems to have lost some size.

IMAG0485.jpg

Then there is more deal-fall...

IMAG0487.jpg

The massive piece of wood behind my bike is the base of yet another tree that came down. The root system alone was like 9 feet high. Fortunately, this one fell below the trail and did not block my progress...
IMAG0489.jpg

Eventually, it all opened up into the usual buff single and double track we like to blast through. It was smooth sailing from here towards Glass Road where I turned around. I got a super late start, and just did a short ride today. Hope you enjoyed the update on one of my favorite So-Cal rides!

ZOE_0005.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I forgot to mention the little Grocery Store up top is looking to stick Gel, Bars, and things riders may want. I gave him some ideas since there are a lot of bikers whom ride out of there. I suggested even carrying a few tubes too. The Owner was super cool. I try to go in there and at least buy something since I park in front of his store. ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts