Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm looking to buy a hitch-mounted rack for my '06 Civic Sedan. I was originally looking at the Thule T2, but several friens of mine are trying to sway me into buying the Saris Thelma, which they've all had good luck with. Its significantly lighter, less expensive, and they say its equally sturdy for the XC and road bikes that I'll be carrying. The shop I work at would have to order in the Thelma for me, so the parts guys are telling me to buy the Thule Doubletrack that we have in stock...it seems very solid, although I know that also makes it heavier and harder to install! ....I like the fact that you can lock down the arms over the toptubes, although wonder if a theif could just let the air out of your tires and take the bikes anyways.....regardless, I'll use a locking cable with either rack if I'm leaving bikes unattended for more than a minute or to. Does anyone have any preferences either way for which ack to use? Or should I spend the money and stick to my original plan of a T2?

·
Registered
457 Posts
if a thief wants your bike, they will get it no matter how it is secured ...

that being said ... the main thing that affected my recent purchase of a bike rack ... was the amount of metal that would be supporting the bikes in place ...

i had considered the thelma .. and the T2 .. but didn't care for the plastic wheel tray's on them ...

i ended up going with the Yakima Holdup ...

there is no way i would want the doubletrack ... i don't want another bike rack that comes in contact with the frame .. got 2 frames now with scrapes and such on the top tube from one ...

if you want a good price on whatever you consider tho ... check out

http://www.ageebike.com/

thats where i got mine from ... best price i could find around ... and they were honest with me on what they had in stock and such ...

just thought i would add, my rack is on an 08 scion xB with 1.25 receiver.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
The Thelma isn't really made for mountain bikes- this from Saris themselves. It has a really low weight limit and cannot hold bikes wit a longish wheelbase. My buddy has one and though his bike fit, it swayed like crazy. He sold it and got the Thule T2.

I have now owned the Sportworks T2 and the Thule T2. I like it a lot. It is really solid and best of all, adjustable sideways and back and forth for each bike. I have taken two bikes over roads that no sedan could go through and even with all that swaying and rocking for hours, the rack is solid and sqeak-free. Anything but the Thelma for mountain bikes....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flyer said:
The Thelma isn't really made for mountain bikes- this from Saris themselves. It has a really low weight limit and cannot hold bikes wit a longish wheelbase. My buddy has one and though his bike fit, it swayed like crazy. He sold it and got the Thule T2.

I have now owned the Sportworks T2 and the Thule T2. I like it a lot. It is really solid and best of all, adjustable sideways and back and forth for each bike. I have taken two bikes over roads that no sedan could go through and even with all that swaying and rocking for hours, the rack is solid and sqeak-free. Anything but the Thelma for mountain bikes....
I think that depends on what you refer to as a mountain bike :p.....My heaviest bike currently is about 24lbs with no plans to buy anything much heavier at least for the next year or two :p

Anyways, yeah, I'm still considering the T2, but the Telma is looking pretty good at about 1/2 the price! :S

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doubletrack is a good option if....

you don't mind the contact with the frame. I have the Doubletrack and I don't seem to have any issues with the contact. I haven't had it very long so my experience is limited. I myself don't mind the minimal contact because I mainly use it for my mountain bike and a few rubs and scratches are going to happen if you are riding it right!

The Thelma does have some limitations. I have heard a few cases where road bikes don't fit well because of aero style front forks. I looked at the Thelma for a while a decided it had too many limitations on types of bikes it can haul. So go with the Doubletrack or T2, you will be happier I think.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.