Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may hit up SG tomorrow and I have never ridden there.
Anyone have a route and direction suggestions? Maybe a 15 ish mile ride. Prefer single track.

Thanks!

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
Down to the tree farm and back would be a good legal option. I don't know all the trail names, but it's basically just heading north from the Gap. John Nicholas might be a better ride, especially on a weekday.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I don't see a tree farm on MTB projects.
I was looking at maybe Skyline to John Nicholas and back. BUT have no idea if that is a fun route. It is an out n back which isn't great but since it's my first time there maybe not to bad?
Are some of the trails the hiking only? I will be riding tomorrow morning so probably not much foot traffic....

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
Thanks. I don't see a tree farm on MTB projects.
I was looking at maybe Skyline to John Nicholas and back. BUT have no idea if that is a fun route. It is an out n back which isn't great but since it's my first time there maybe not to bad?
Are some of the trails the hiking only? I will be riding tomorrow morning so probably not much foot traffic....
That is NOT a great route. Starting at Castle Rock would be better. Or just start at the bottom on Black Rd. if that's closer.

·
Registered
635 Posts
That is NOT a great route. Starting at Castle Rock would be better. Or just start at the bottom on Black Rd. if that's closer.
Yeah, and depends on preference for climbing first then descending, or v.v.

If prefer climb then descend overall, then you can ride: John Nicholas Trail to Skyline Trail to Saratoga Gap (and can extend by droppinh into Long Ridge).

Pretty much an out-and-back but enjoyable esp since first time there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Up JN to Skyline to the gap is fun. As also said it is an out and back but still fun. There are hiking only trails in Sanborn Park which connects to Skyline but do us all a favor and stay off of them.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,499 Posts
Correct. For Gap, do the classic Peters Creek Loop.

The alternative in the area is John Nicholas Trail starting from Castle Rock. Out and back to the bottom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Correct. For Gap, do the classic Peters Creek Loop.

The alternative in the area is John Nicholas Trail starting from Castle Rock. Out and back to the bottom
Peters Creek always seems closed, though, even when the weather has been dry (not this year, but last year and before). There hasn't been one time that I've been there that the sign doesn't show that it's closed to bikers. Are the rangers just too lazy to change the sign or...?

·
Registered
566 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.