Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many have probably asked but do any of you know of any DJ/FR spots around Sarasota? Just in town for a few weeks. I'm willing to drive but can't do more than a day trip. PM me if you can't share on a public forum. Also looking for people to ride with in the area.

·
Heroes are overrated.
130 Posts
RiskEverything said:
There is no riding within an hour of Sarasota, and nothing resembling DJ/FR within 3 hours.
:nono: I have to disagree with on this. The trails at North Port have some FR stunts built into the trail- a number of skinnies, teeter totters, narrow bridges over 10-15 drops, etc. There is an area that is being built up with wood that has a number of gaps/drops.

Pictures:

Youtube video:

Directions:

I-75 to Exit 182 Sumter Blvd Go South on Sumter towards North Port/US 41. For Lady Slipper parking lot: make a right on Lady Slipper (first right approx .5 mile) Stay on Lady Slipper. Park entrance will be on the left. For Ball Field parking lot: Stay on Sumter(with 7/11) make a right on Price Blvd towards North Port High School. For the trailhead, cross Price Blvd and take a right on the sidewalk and cross the bridge and make a left immediately after crossing the bridge.

Advice: If you park at Lady Slipper, there is a creek that will be on your right side as you ride the trails. Most of the technical trails (you will have a few forks in the trail) will be on the right side. There are a few occasions where this isn't true, but that's the fun of riding out there!

·
Heroes are overrated.
130 Posts
RiskEverything said:
I thought the North Port park required some illegal crossing of a golf course to get to?
Depends on what you want to ride. You can park at the Lady Slipper trail head and ride to the dam and back. If you cross the dam, you have to hop onto a golf cart path for a literal 10 seconds before taking a right into the woods and back into the trails. These trails connect you down to the ball field parking lot. On the other side of the ball field parking lot, the trails extend for another few miles.

It's been a while since I've crossed the dam. North Port Trails is usually a post-work ride for me and I park at the Lady Slipper trailhead, ride down to the dam, and back. If time permits, I'll do two laps.

It's possible they've built a bypass to avoid the golf course all together - knowing the area it was very possible to blaze another connector trail.

·
Banned
136 Posts
camf how recent are those pics? and also a lot of what was in the video is no longer there. There is some new wooden stuff out there and its cool if you just need to ride but if you got the day go to santos. There is 1 dirt jump out there but its nothing impressive. I think i got some pics from a couple weeks ago ill try to find and post.

·
Banned
136 Posts
https://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/fastmxer9/MTB/np trails 11-08/?action=view&current=029.flv
Thats the dirt jump video

https://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/fastmxer9/MTB/np trails 11-08/?action=view&current=028.flv

thats the ride of the little up/down balance beam. after the drop off where I ride off and disapear there is a pretty technical, narrow uphill turning bridge but at the time the video was taking it was unrideable and falling apart (and more than likely still is). oh and the video is taken from the little dirt jump.

thats the start of the beam i ride off of in the video above

This is what is now in the section where camf's bottom picture was taken. the center post that i am on top of is what the guy in camf's pic is riding off of. if you look closely you can see posts and remnants of what was there. the bridge im on does have a kinda of challenging up hill turn which goes between the palm tree's that almost make a v in the middle of camf's pic. and at the end of that bridge there is like a 2 foot ride off. there is another structure like this in that area.

there are some log rides along the trail. none that are really anything to brag about. theyre all under 25ft. there is a cool log ride near the lady slipper parking spot that curves up about 3 ft. if you hit it with enough speed you can jump off the top and land on this downslope.

other than what ive mentioned theres not much else of interest. if this your idea of freeriding and dirtjumping, have a blast:thumbsup:

edit: theres no alternative path to the golf course crossing

·
Heroes are overrated.
130 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures and videos! The trails out there are like the seasons, always changing...

I realize it's nothing crazy as far as DJ/FR goes but I imagine he can reach the trails in 30 minutes or less and will provide him a fun place to ride without the two hour travel to Santos.

When do you think the mud pit will dry up (the one near the jump in your video). I've been wanting to hit that other jump next to it for a long time but it's always been wet!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hanks for all the replies! I will going to try and hit north port just because it's not too far. I didn't think FL would have any crazy FR/DH stuff but anything is better than nothing. I may even do the drive up to Santos. Still a bit surprised of no DJ's seems with the weather being nice in winter why wouldn't 20" people would move this way to ride? Thanks again

·
Banned
136 Posts
MBX5 said:
Still a bit surprised of no DJ's seems with the weather being nice in winter why wouldn't 20" people would move this way to ride?
we dont really have dirt here in fl, its all sand. and we get so much rain the sand just erodes away. Over in the haines city area there is some nice dirt, but for the most part its **** ground for dirt jumps

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never even thought of that. I raced R/C cars at one time and we loved FL because of the red cay so I just thought you guys would have some around the area?

·
Special Lister
324 Posts
I am making a trip to Siesta Key this Saturday for a vacay with the fam. I wouldn't mind hitting the North Port trails, but the directons are a littel hard to follow. Are there several trailheads and this is why you can access it from lots of places or what? I don't know what section I want to ride because I don't know what is there. How long is the trail? I would rather do some of the fun stuff and not just pedal all day (if you know what i mean) Help me out guys.
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.