Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for likely creating another thread on this. I checked and found nothing already existing.

Any reason to pay more to go with the CX-Rays on a We Are One Union mullet build with Hydras, over the standard Races?

Down to the fine strokes on the decision making.

Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
They're lighter: 4.41g vs. 5.95g. You can save maybe 100g over the two wheels. This may or may not be worth the price difference to you. CX-Rays are also bladed, which supposedly decreases drag a bit, but is pretty inconsequential at most MTB speeds.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I’ve been emailing with WAO about wheels as well.

They mentioned the CX-Rays would save me about 40g on a single rear wheel. They also mentioned that the ride characteristics are pretty much identical, and that the race spokes shrug off direct impacts a bit better.

So sounds like on a full set of wheels you’re talking maybe 75-80g saved?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight as a priority on this bike disappeared long ago.

I was thinking of something else I thought I had read...

Will CX-Rays potentially help to ensure a better wheel build? I recall reading that they were easier to use when wheel building than the Races. I have no experience building wheels but is there something there about being able to better see/control spoke twist? Or something along those lines? Hopefully reading that was not too cringe-worthy for the skilled wheel builders here...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Spoke windup is not a big deal with Sapim Race. It is more of an issue with sapim Lasers which are a better comparison to the cx-rays.

how much more do they charge for the cx-rays over race? cx-rays cost ~$2.50 more per spoke which could add up.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke windup is not a big deal with Sapim Race. It is more of an issue with sapim Lasers which are a better comparison to the cx-rays.

how much more do they charge for the cx-rays over race? cx-rays cost ~$2.50 more per spoke which could up.
About $100 USD premium for the CX-Rays (which I have on a set of DT 240 Agents).

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

how much more do they charge for the cx-rays over race? cx-rays cost ~$2.50 more per spoke which could add up.
Thank you. Spoke windup. That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Roughly 86g for a pair of 28 spoke wheels, 99g for a pair of 32s.
The sales guy at WAO quoted me “about 40g saved” for a rear wheel only, 29in Union rim, 32 spoke, with an onyx classic hub. Maybe he is in error?

Im far from a spoke expert. I just know I asked the same question as the OP to the same brand, for the same rim, and was reporting what I heard back.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
i wonder if the difference was brass vs alloy nipples?

The sales guy at WAO quoted me “about 40g saved” for a rear wheel only, 29in Union rim, 32 spoke, with an onyx classic hub. Maybe he is in error?

Im far from a spoke expert. I just know I asked the same question as the OP to the same brand, for the same rim, and was reporting what I heard back.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i wonder if the difference was brass vs alloy nipples?
I asked that question separately, and got a separate answer.

But it’s totally still possible the guy got data confused or something.

As I said, no idea myself, just passing along what I was told :/.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Maybe you're right. I'm just quoting specs from Sapim (that I used when I chose spokes for my last wheels). I'd trust the wheel builder who's actually weighed them more than factory numbers. But we're talking a few grams out of the whole wheelset, so...

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Maybe you're right. I'm just quoting specs from Sapim (that I used when I chose spokes for my last wheels). I'd trust the wheel builder who's actually weighed them more than factory numbers. But we're talking a few grams out of the whole wheelset, so...
The weight difference (whatever it is) between the CX-Rays and the Races seems kinda immaterial to me. I would think it would be for most people, but maybe not.

Anyone else with any comments on the spoke windup issue, or any other reasons to pay for the CX-Rays over the Races?

Hoping to maybe order these today 🙂

Thanks tons for the lightning quick assistance with this (y)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bladed spokes look better IMO.

They might also have a higher tensile strength (i.e. they are stronger). And they are easier to build with, DT Swiss have a nice tool for holding bladed spokes while tensioning.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,001 Posts
They do have a higher UTS, for me they seem worth it because I don't break them, I tend to break spokes which is a massive PITA running tubeless/cush core! And once one spoke pops you might as well just rebuilt the wheel as others will follow...

That said, for a carbon wheel Lasers might be best as they will give you a more compliant result. I use CX-Ray with DT alum rims and the squorx nips that come with them.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
That said, for a carbon wheel Lasers might be best as they will give you a more compliant result.
I'll second this. I don't like the way x-rays ride on my carbon build's. I'm a super comp fan.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
The weight difference (whatever it is) between the CX-Rays and the Races seems kinda immaterial to me. I would think it would be for most people, but maybe not.

Anyone else with any comments on the spoke windup issue, or any other reasons to pay for the CX-Rays over the Races?

In the same boat. Just ordered my Ziggy link. Found a 15% discount code as well for the WAO. Are you able to order them online or have you emailed them about mixed size set?

·
West Chester, PA
4,917 Posts

The windup issue only matters if the person that builds them for you doesn't notice it's happening. You won't be able to tell by looking at them. You want to be 100% sure the spokes aren't going to unwind a bit when you start riding your new wheels? And save a few ounces? Then get the bladed spokes.
As mentioned before, the better equivalent for round spokes would be Lasers. If they don't offer Lasers it's probably because they're a pain in the ass to get up to tension without winding. If I was building/selling wheels for a business I wouldn't bring Lasers to people's attention.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Is the issue with cxray ride quality that they are less radially compliant?
I'll get flamed for saying this but imo, yes. At least laced to carbon. Sample size of 1

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts