Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are heading to Santee to visit family over the holiday. Looking to get out at least 1 day to ride and looking for something close. Sounds like Mission Trails is love by some and hated by others.

The Sycamore Loop sounds interesting as long as you stay east of the power lines. Has anyone been there lately that can comment on the trail? My wife is into more XC stuff and really has no technical abilities but she can climb a hill.

We would likely start from the trailhead on Mast Blvd at near the high school. I assume the trailhead is easy to find?
Jeff
 

·
I <3 Dirt
Joined
·
724 Posts
azbeersnob said:
The wife and I are heading to Santee to visit family over the holiday. Looking to get out at least 1 day to ride and looking for something close. Sounds like Mission Trails is love by some and hated by others.

The Sycamore Loop sounds interesting as long as you stay east of the power lines. Has anyone been there lately that can comment on the trail? My wife is into more XC stuff and really has no technical abilities but she can climb a hill.

We would likely start from the trailhead on Mast Blvd at near the high school. I assume the trailhead is easy to find?
Jeff
Mission Trails has some cool hidden gems and of course the "unincorporated" parts of MTRP are pretty fun, but it helps riding with someone familiar with the area.

Sycamore Loop is primarily singletrack and totally XC. Trail head is super easy to find. It's just west of the intersection of Mast/Medina. I believe Craptasticycle posted a link to some great google earth maps of the area recently. If you do a search on this forum you should be able to find it. PM me if you need more info.
 

·
endoguy
Joined
·
63 Posts
The trail head used to be right across Mast from the parking lot on the east side of the high school. I understand now it is one block down Medina. Do Marthas Grove Loop
 

·
Liaison
Joined
·
207 Posts
Please try to avoid parking on Medina. We need to be on good terms with the neighbors. There's plenty of parking in the lot just to the east of the high school lot or you can park further west on Mast at West Hills Park and ride the short bit on pavement (or sidewalk) to the trail.

As always for specific trail info check with Mountain Bike Bill.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SycamoreCanyon.htm

Have fun and take plenty of water. There is no water available between the trailhead and the ranger station.
 

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Devine Intervention said:
Here's a photo of the trailhead parking,lot. The route starts just across the street, behind the houses on Medina. Medina is the traffic light just beyond the parking lot.
do they ticket for parking in the dirt lot now? It had been a while since I'd been out that way but last time I went I noticed some signs in the dirt lot. there's not a ton of space on that little side street so I imagine it gets kind of full on the weekends. do you just have to find street parking somewhere nearby?

YR
 

·
Liaison
Joined
·
207 Posts
Yeti_Rider said:
do they ticket for parking in the dirt lot now? It had been a while since I'd been out that way but last time I went I noticed some signs in the dirt lot. there's not a ton of space on that little side street so I imagine it gets kind of full on the weekends. do you just have to find street parking somewhere nearby?

YR
I haven't heard of any tickets. The parking can get crowded on weekends if there's soccer going on at the adjacent field but I think that's done with now that it's summer. Otherwise there seems to be plenty of space on the dirt. If anyone gets any tickets let me know and I'll go to Santee PD with the offer that we park up the neighborhoods instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. We will try parking in the dirt and see what happens. Hopefully Thursday or Friday morning will be cool and cloudy.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
No Tickets

I'm out there almost every weekend and I haven't heard any of the other regulars saying anything about tickets. I assume the sign is there to protect the school district from liability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
ive always used the entrance in garden rd. but tons of fun stuff here...try to stay on the single track or youll find yourself pedaling through some pretty sandy stuff. went yesterday for the first time since winter, alot of new plant growth and the ground is pretty loose. my small block 8 in the rear was struggling at times

i always start at the dirt lot in poway, climb up and decend down to marthas...mess around in the single track...end up over at the santee water reservoir (whatever it is called) and then head back..usually get a solid 15 miles in, sometimes 20.

also youll most likely cross paths with other bikers if you get lost...but its pretty easy to navigate if you have never been.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
You won't get a parking ticket parking in the dirt. It is not officially marked as a no parking zone. It's not someones front lawn you're parking on so there has to be signs marking it as a no parking zone or tow away zone. Last time I checked those haven't been put up. Anyway, if you have any questions, you could call the Santee Sheriff's Station and speak to someone in the traffic department. But I wouldn't bring it up. That's probably not something you want the City looking into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,584 Posts
If you meet other riders there, then ask them if they can show you how to get to the switchback ridge., it's a single track that veers left from the main trail if you are starting at Mast. IMO, adding the switchback ridge makes Sycamore a very fun ride. Although it is very hard to get lost there, when you are riding the main trail it can be easy to veer on to the wider sand bog trails that the horses use and those make for unpleasant riding. If you find yourself bogged down in sand on the main canyon trail then you have missed some of the nice single track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went out this morning with the wife and the trail was perfect for her except for a few rocky sections. We rode from the dirt parking at Medina to some gate about 6 miles out. The trail is not marked very well and there seemed to be quite a few off shoots.

With the drought over here the trail was quite ugly, no offense. Plan to head back over tomorrow morning by myself and try some of the off shoots and head up a few of the hills.

Quite a few few folks were out today as well. The parking area was packed when we got back at 10am.

Jeff

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Try spring canyon just on the other side of the freeway, it's not was long but you can get some milage connecting trails. It's in mission trails. and you can park off Mast. take the trail heading west then take a right on a trail that goes under the freeway bridge.
 

·
I <3 Dirt
Joined
·
724 Posts
azbeersnob said:
Went out this morning with the wife and the trail was perfect for her except for a few rocky sections. We rode from the dirt parking at Medina to some gate about 6 miles out. The trail is not marked very well and there seemed to be quite a few off shoots.

With the drought over here the trail was quite ugly, no offense. Plan to head back over tomorrow morning by myself and try some of the off shoots and head up a few of the hills.

Quite a few few folks were out today as well. The parking area was packed when we got back at 10am.

Jeff

Jeff
I may have passed you this morning around 8am. You were waiting for your wife to climb a short steep section and yelled "rider up" as I rolled by returning from an early loop. You had camo pants? If that was you I'm sorry I didn't stop and introduce myself. Have fun tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK...tried it again this morning on my own and it was a much better ride. Got some assistance from the locals and made it out to Martha's Grove which was a blast although I missed Cardiac Hill somehow as I wanted to ride the ridgeline...oh well.. Played around on some fun singletrack weaving in and out of trees and climbed one of the steeper hills just west of Santee Lakes..

Thanks to all for the advice and guidance and mealsonwhels that was me in the camo pants.

Jeff
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top