Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santee Lakes/Sycamore Marines Confiscating Bikes and Writing Tickets. Happened on Thursday 12/31. Bummer way to end the year. This did not happen to me and I have no other information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
so are they just posted up near the signs that mark their territory or what? That's pretty unfortunate if they're really blocking off the sycamore canyon areas now (in addition to the other thread regarding spring canyon and oak canyon areas which are more into mcas land)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I heard this as well...and that it was two "high end carbon bikes" When the Marines show up it is usually within a couple hundred yards of the signs in the dry creek bed near the power towers (heading north from Mast area) in Sycamore

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where exactly was this? By the title it leads me to believe it's the trail that's north of santee lakes in sycamore canyon that goes up to goodan ranch. There are some signs there that state it's government property. But if you look on the map, that's the very edge of the govt property line.

Was that where this happened or was it near the oak and spring canyons are (north of the 52 from mast) ?

·
IPA tester
1,358 Posts
There are already dozens of threads about that area with maps, etc. It's off limits and if you ride there you pay the price if caught

·
Registered
18 Posts
In their defense; I know a lot of people like to take sycamore canyon north from santee lakes towards goodan ranch and there's a couple different single tracks that go that route with no signs that mention its govt property. There are signs on the fire road that goes north on sycamore canyon rd but a couple single tracks aren't marked. It's right on the edge of govt property line so technically it's questionable.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,847 Posts
It's nice that they have solved all of the really important issues facing the Marines and have time and resources to dedicate to stuff like this...
I'm not going to pretend to know what the MC does on that training area, but this is the problem:

Neither do you. They could be conducting live fire training on that range, or, the area marked off could be within the SDZs of such an exercise.

Having seen what happens to human bodies when struck by military ordnance, those that lost their bikes should count their blessings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
I'm not going to pretend to know what the MC does on that training area, but this is the problem:

Neither do you. They could be conducting live fire training on that range, or, the area marked off could be within the SDZs of such an exercise.

Having seen what happens to human bodies when struck by military ordnance, those that lost their bikes should count their blessings.

If they were doing something like that the property would be fenced off so no one could get into it. However, if people are going on the property and it's clearly marked, they deserve what they get.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,847 Posts
If they were doing something like that the property would be fenced off so no one could get into it. However, if people are going on the property and it's clearly marked, they deserve what they get.
I've used dozens of live fire ranges on a bunch of Army installations that have no fence around them.

And, you can drive, walk, or ride on to them.

·
IPA tester
1,358 Posts
I've used dozens of live fire ranges on a bunch of Army installations that have no fence around them.

And, you can drive, walk, or ride on to them.

Do you drive, walk, or ride on to them in the direction that they are firing live rounds?

1 - 20 of 520 Posts