Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am in the current position of buying an XC race bike for around 2k give or take $500. I saw this add and I can see the bike in person:

SantaCruz Superlight:
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/388176/

I was wondering if you think it is worth the money for it, and if you could tell by looking at it what year it is. There is almost no hill climbs here where I live, the only climb is a man-made hill about 60m tall, so It doesn't have to be too climb oriented. I also wondering that if I purchase said bike would there be anything I should upgrade? I was thinking of upgrading the brakes because the trails here require a lot of stopping for sharp turns. I was thinking of buying some Avid Elixir R's without the disks, and a new set of specialized fast trak lk s-works tires. All input is appreciated,

Thank you,

Nico

·
Registered
493 Posts
Using a conversion calculator...Im guessing thats about 1200 bucks (american)...Id say thats a pretty good deal, good components, i hear the new SID is pretty sweet (although I prefer a 120mm on my SL....

Its def older than an 07 judging by the rear triangle, but with the curved top tube, maybe like an 05 or so? Others on here would probably be better at judging that, but those are two easy ques.

The Juicy's are great, although my one experience with the 3's wasnt the greatest (rental bike, i think they just needed to be bled)...I run Juicy Carbons with Alligator rotors and would strongly rec'd it.

The drivetrain seems good, wheelset is not bad...probably worth making an offer, seems like by the add he may have some wiggle room, so probably worth trying....Also check out ebay, add a few to your watch list, and see what they sell for that are similarly optioned....

This one seems to be a good solid bike for just the cost of a new frame...SL's kick ass, I love mine...good luck! and happy new year!

·
Registered
115 Posts
That looks exactly like my 2005 SL, so I am guessing its probably an 04 or 05. Its going to be a great bike for Ontario riding (I live close in Buffalo, NY). The specs look pretty good, about the only thing to consider changing is the brakes, like you already mentioned.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to thank everyone for posting. Although, I have a couple more questions. Is there anything to be worried about with an older frame? would the frame be out of date in any way such as quick release, or does it have a removable hangar for the derailleur? I have noticed that all the parts on the bike look pretty new (08) except for the frame being an 05. I can't find a new bike with the same components for less than 2.5k, so this seems like a great deal. The question is that If I do buy this bike, I wonder what I would feel different from my Norco Wolverine. The wolverine is a Hard-tail Trail bike weighing 35lbs that I use for XC riding at the moment. I feel that I have exceeded the maximum potential of my bike and I want to move on. I wanted to get into cross-country racing, and I thought that this SL bike would give me the best performance/weight/price ratio of anything else I can buy. I have been training the past couple months or so and am planning for the next season. I would like to have your opinion on that as well. The seller is willing to go as low as $1400 and possibly lower so this is definitely in reach for me.

Thanks,

Nico

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a Marin Wolf Ridge and Rocky Ridge before my Superlight, and were about 33 and 29 lbs respectively.... My SL is about 26 or so, but the geometry makes the handling very crisp and precise. I liked my old Wolf Ridge (03) until I rode my SL, now I could never go back. I prefer the ride with 120mm up front (fox f120rl) but mine came with a Tora 318 with 100mm and it was fine. I wouldnt worry about the frame being a few years old...there are tons of people on here with much older superlights that are ridden often and hard, and if you have an issue, you can usually (from what i read on here) get a good deal on a replacement triangle or frame from Santa Cruz even if they're a few years old.

I dont think its a replaceable hanger as it is on the new ones (07 i think they added that), so thats one downside...but 05 is really not that old, and everything else will be standard if you need to upgrade or replace, such as quick release spacing and pretty standard sizing for seatpost and bottom bracket and such...

Sounds like you found your self a pretty good deal, if the seller is anywhere local, just go give it a quick test ride, never a bad idea if you can take it for a quick loop, most private sellers will let you do that....go enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.