Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Santacruz dealer said they just got new price sheets with prices having dropped about %15 on all models. I guess that's the silver lining to a recession. Now go forth and bolster our economy!

·
Registered
712 Posts
The price of a new Nomad in the UK is now £1850 for a powdercoat + monarch and £1999 for the anodised model. The DHX shocks are atleast another £100.

I'm used to paying what a lot of non- bikers would consider crazy money for my bikes, but even to me, this seems too much. I can't see UK sales growing this coming year.

·
Registered
712 Posts
krolik said:
what are these prices?? R AM kit? what fork?
Ha Ha, you made me laugh, but i presume you are serious.

Frame only my friend....crazy eh?

We just had a reduction in Value Added Tax aswell from 17.5% to 15% !!

I think i paid around £1500 for my anodised Nomad frame a year ago.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
remember1453 said:
I was surprised the prices went up in the first place since most Santa Cruz frames are made in Taiwan now a days.
The dollar was getting killed vs. foreign currencies, which means it cost more and more in dollars to have bikes/parts made overseas. That trend has since reversed itself--although the U.S. lowered interest rates to 0% this week, and the dollar has started going down in value again.

My local Santacruz dealer said they just got new price sheets with prices having dropped about %15 on all models. I guess that's the silver lining to a recession. Now go forth and bolster our economy!
In a depression, deflation causes products to get cheaper and cheaper as time goes on. The consumer has the power now. Santa Cruz is already behind the ball. I suspect they have no idea how to survive in a depression, and as a result when the losses mount, they will end up having to sell themselves to a big bike company. If they want to remain independent, they should be selling all their bikes at cost to get rid of inventory. Santa Cruz needs to come up with a strategy to survive until the depression passes, and then get back to making profits when things get better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
JoelovesDirt said:
Our economy or Taiwans ?
since the frame will probably be ordered at the same price as before but they will have to cut profit, sounds like bolstering Taiwan's economy.

I wonder which town in Taiwan the "Santa Cruz" frames are made, maybe we should change the name of the bikes to that town's name to keep up with the progress and get with the global economy. I mean, if it's a good frame people will buy it regardless of where it's made or what it's called, or so people on MTBR keep telling me. :rolleyes:

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
The new price sheets that were realease last week were for a sale SC was having on thier single pivot frames and bikes. The prices did not change on the VPP models.

Superlight DXC Kit Complete $1499
Superlight RXC Kit Complete $1899

As far as I know, the sale is only on for another week or so.

·
Banned
197 Posts
remember1453 said:
since the frame will probably be ordered at the same price as before but they will have to cut profit, sounds like bolstering Taiwan's economy.

I wonder which town in Taiwan the "Santa Cruz" frames are made, maybe we should change the name of the bikes to that town's name to keep up with the progress and get with the global economy. I mean, if it's a good frame people will buy it regardless of where it's made or what it's called, or so people on MTBR keep telling me. :rolleyes:
They make the frames cheaper in Taiwan so the profit probably goes to pay Peaty, Minaar, and Rennie's salaries. So basically we're bolstering the economy of England, South Africa, Australia and wherever Rob Roscopp spends his dough.:madman:

·
Registered
117 Posts
happyriding said:
The dollar was getting killed vs. foreign currencies, which means it cost more and more in dollars to have bikes/parts made overseas. That trend has since reversed itself--although the U.S. lowered interest rates to 0% this week, and the dollar has started going down in value again.
I love it. They move production to Taiwan and increases profit margin, price increase.

Dollar falls, price increase.

Later on when dollar rises against currency in Taiwan, Price will increase again.

I fail to see how I should care.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
A MAN CALLED HORSE said:
Ha Ha, you made me laugh, but i presume you are serious.

Frame only my friend....crazy eh?

We just had a reduction in Value Added Tax aswell from 17.5% to 15% !!

I think i paid around £1500 for my anodised Nomad frame a year ago.
Wow, SC Prices are insane in the uk....
I paid 1100GBP for my jalapeno ano w. monarch.
I see no reason why you wouldn't buy your next frame from my dealer and save yourself a few quids..

·
Registered
294 Posts
we forget basic economics in the uk - ie overall people pay what they can pay not always what is asked. (if they want to sell it has to be the right price - if no-one buys and they want/need to sell the price has to drop!)

there was me wantin to upgrade my nomad - but a 25% increase is way too much - i guess it will be a heckler year or maybe a tracer.....

·
graps the nettle
519 Posts
internet logic power activate!

remember1453 said:
so, by that logic, the frames should never have been called santa cruz, since frames were never welded there? change the company name every time a vendor changes - brilliant! buy your "portland" bicycles here! next year, celebrate the release of the new "taichung" brand! who cares about a company that employs several dozen people in santa cruz, where everything else, from engineering, prototype fabrication, strength and fatigue testing, wheel builds, to powdercoat, to final assembly, to sticking on those decals that say "santa cruz"?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Next you'll be telling me my Melton Mowbray pork pie wan't made in Melton Mowbray. Or, heavens, my cheddar cheese wasn't made down the road in Cheddar! Indeeed, neither is made where the title suggests, but rather that title suggest a type, a style, a flavour if you will.

Its the same with bikes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.