Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 months of waiting, my new Trek Session 88DH got delivered this week.

Size Large, with Stans NoTubes in the wheels and Crank Brothers 5050 pedals and everything else stock it weighs 36 pds 8.5 ounces on a calibrated certifed digital scale.

Like I care how much it weighs but it seems everyone else does!:thumbsup:

I even left the reflectors on...for safety ya know!:p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That's really light for a DH bike! (especially with stock parts... WOW)

I'm very curious to see what the long-term durability of such a light frame is like.

Rip it up! Have fun!

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
bettermanNZ said:
Out of interest what are the tires and how much do they weigh?
My guess would be single ply 2.5 Big Earls. I've run them before and they are super light. Go tubeless and they are XC light.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Damn that's a swe....

Damn...

That's a sweet rig.

But that snow is killing you. Ship that bike out here to CA so I can make sure it is safe to ride.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tires are Big Earl "Gum Bi" in 2.5".

The front downtube is 4" across at least and from my informal "stand on the crank and hang on the handlebar and jump" testing it's easily as stiff as any other DH bike I've tried...which has been many.

There is no doubt the tubing is thinner than traditional DH bikes but those get dented too. Still I wouldn't want to throw it down a slick rock garden at full speed...its too pretty for that!:p

The Elixir brakes are truly impressive and modulate much better than any other I've tried except for my old XTR V-Brakes on my XC winter bike.

Next upgrade is an integrated stem since I don't like the Bontrager one...too high for me. Titanium rear spring is next once I figure out the right spring rate.

The bike is actually better looking in person than it looks in pictures, I was pleasantly surprised at how chunky the frame is. The polished aluminum frame is not gaudy as I initially thought it might be and the Crank Brother pedals look better on the bike than the white factory Big Earl models

I might even remove the wheel reflectors once I fit some handlebar mirrors and rear red LED blinkers and LED flashy style headlight and put some reflector tape on the new rigid fenders thats going on next. Got a nifty neon squeeze horn at the bike shop that they threw in for free that I am installing once I purchase the right screwdriver to install.

Hehe...just teasin...

...maybe :skep:

See you guys on the paved bike paths! I will be the one with the pink helmet and reflective vest!:D

One more look before the smoothie 1.7" commuter tires go on...:)

Attachments

·
I gotta pee
335 Posts
rufusdesign said:
I am very interested to see how those perform this coming season, especially during the world cups.
I'm sure the bike will perform just like their supposed to, but the riders on the other hand who knows

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,996 Posts
pretty sweet bike....the suspension design boggles my mind

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice Rig. Be sure to post up a review of its performance once the snow thaws or you get it someplace you can ride it before that!

·
Registered
551 Posts
it must be me..

but i thought the wheelbase looked short, i was thinking it was a small frame at first. maybe its just the pics..

saweeet pic though man!! and stupid crazy light weight too

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
Sickest bike availabe in my mind, I mean shoot it's already won the biggest FR event and it's barely been around six months! Awesome bike bro!

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
wasea04 said:
Sickest bike availabe in my mind, I mean shoot it's already won the biggest FR event and it's barely been around six months! Awesome bike bro!
Bikes don't win freeride events... sorry, don't mean to snype but that always bugs me.

The more I look at that Trek the hotter it gets... *drooooooool*

1 - 20 of 48 Posts