Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it happened again. While hiking Santa Teresa with my child, some mtber comes flying down Styles, hardly slows down, forcing me to quickly move my child. Sure he said, "Thanks" but what good is it if he did not yield to us? Even worse almost forcing us to move over!! This guy was riding a blue full-suspension Trek. I think I had this problem with him before when he was riding with some others guys and I complained to them. They were nice enough to stop and let us through. On another occassion, I may have actually talked to him at the top of Styles while I was riding, not knowing it was him. Blue trek owner: If you're reading this, please take heed.

Now if I were not a biker too, I'd feel like complaining to the rangers. Mind you, I wouldn't of course since I ride there about one or more times/week myself. when I see hikers, especially the ones with children, I stop completely, putting one foot down. Most of the time, they'll motion me to go ahead. But at least I let them know they are first and I am aware of their safety.

Santa Teresa is one of the few places were the rangers have not started using raders and most of the trails are open to us. But if this behavior continues, sooner or later they will. Or worse, they'll simply close off all trails to us.

Please people, hikers and equestrians have the right-of-way. We should simply make these trails users feel they are first and give them plenty of room. Stop and give them the right-of-way! We do not own the trails, we share them!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I rode santa teresa today, but did not ride on stiles. I hit up the fireroad to rocky. But I totally agree with you in that WE (mtbers) should be respectful of others using the trail. I passed a few people hiking today and I ALWAYS slow way down or a lot of times I make a full stop and if they say pass I usually go then. I'm nice as well and most of the times I say "HEY" or whatever. Like today I did make a full stop and actually I talked to a hiker until he passed me. It was cool. He was happy just being out in nature. :D So ya just be nice and don't be in a hurry and everyone will have fun.

By the way, the trails at ST are really great right now and my tires stuck well to the ground and I didn't see any mud puddles. I just like riding there since its close to where I live and it has some fun trails.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
rockcrawler53 said:
I rode santa teresa today, but did not ride on stiles. I hit up the fireroad to rocky. But I totally agree with you in that WE (mtbers) should be respectful of others using the trail. I passed a few people hiking today and I ALWAYS slow way down or a lot of times I make a full stop and if they say pass I usually go then. I'm nice as well and most of the times I say "HEY" or whatever. Like today I did make a full stop and actually I talked to a hiker until he passed me. It was cool. He was happy just being out in nature. :D So ya just be nice and don't be in a hurry and everyone will have fun.

By the way, the trails at ST are really great right now and my tires stuck well to the ground and I didn't see any mud puddles. I just like riding there since its close to where I live and it has some fun trails.
Dude, I've seen you ride, you're a menace to anything on the trail. Rocks, trees, animals, people, nothing is safe. We even have you on video hitting a few different things What haven't you either hit or come close to hitting on the trail? :nono: :rolleyes:
:)

On a serious note, all the cyclists I've met out there have been nice & courteous. I ride slower in that park especially around the semi-blind turns on some of the trails because of the amount of hikers/equestrians in the park. So far I've had nothing but good experiences out there. Well except once, where I met a hiker who I think hated the whole world, and I was hiking at the time also!

·
Slowest Rider
5,239 Posts
Wasn't Me

My bike is Black with cream AM1 fork.

And yes, the trails at Santa Teresa are super right now. Just enough rain to make it smooth and tacky, but not yet enough soak to make it impossible. Had one of my personal best times last week, by a big margin.

Ride Santa Teresa while you can. Oh, and watch and stop for hikers.

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
since I have been posting about this cool little trail recently, I should say "not me" I am on a Silver Epic.

jim

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
All lifts & all trails are open

We took the sunset cruise to reach Rocky Ridge

It's clearly in the distance there, beyond them red rocks

Ran out of daylight on the way back to the Oakridge Mall Light Rail

Encountered two horses on the IBM orchard trail - in the pitch dark :eek: :eek: but only 3 other cyclists + 1 jogger. No issues.

·
Slowest Rider
5,239 Posts
Rex_Skidmore said:
We took the sunset cruise to reach Rocky Ridge

It's clearly in the distance there, beyond them red rocks

Ran out of daylight on the way back to the Oakridge Mall Light Rail

Encountered two horses on the IBM orchard trail - in the pitch dark :eek: :eek: but only 3 other cyclists + 1 jogger. No issues.
Beauty Pictures Rex! They inspired me to take a nice ride out there this morning.

Santa Teresa is fabulous right now - better than I've ever seen it. I had to give everyone a heads up, on the the new thread.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
BigLarry said:
Beauty Pictures Rex! They inspired me to take a nice ride out there this morning.
Thanks, Larry, I knew you would have a higher than average appreciation.
It's amusing that we all become...intimate...with roots, rocks, stumps, creeks, and singletrack.
All photos resized only, not PS'd.

Saddam's bicycle?

Los Alamitos Creek with better lighting than above

Poor quality photo of Mark (screenname?) on Stile Ranch -- switchbacks are redlined

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was commenting to the 2 tone superlight.. which usually means it was replaced at some point. It stood out because your bike looks a lot like mine (and was in ST on Sunday.)

Rex_Skidmore said:
No. And no, I don't know what that means.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
fervor_1 said:
I was commenting to the 2 tone superlight.. which usually means it was replaced at some point. It stood out because your bike looks a lot like mine (and was in ST on Sunday.)
Ohhhhhhh, riiiiiiiiiiight. I ordered it that way and originally had a paint scheme that would apply white to the blue front triangle and blue on the white rear triangle. It was meant to blend the contrast between the 2 colors. There was a white fork involved, too. Put all that on hold when I bought a Blur and then, a boat. By sheer mass alone, the boat won the war of the gravitational pull on my Mad Money Fund.

What was your take of the conditions at ST on Sunday?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would have to agree with ya'll that ST is looking AWESOME! BUT....I rode up stiles the other day and noticed on the way to the start of the climb that horses have dropped some chunks in the middle of the trail. :madman: Since the trail is slightly on the side of a hill, I couldn't avoid it and rode right through it. I had no other option and it was nasty. I know horses don't have the luxury that humans do by having a toilet, but at least keep it off the trail where I ride as well as where hikers hike and runners run. Oh well, enough about that........Rocky is looking great as well. Went down that a week ago and its perfect too. I love ST since its soo close to me. Happy riding everyone! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
The park was just incredible on Sunday. The weather was perfect for shorts and short sleeves. IN JANUARY! I love california. Trail condition was great. Stand on every climb and don't worry about the back wheel breaking traction. The place was pretty empty excpet for the hawks. A few runners (are they nuts?), not too many other folks. Stiles on the way down is such a treat. So yeah, I had a real good time.

Someone was shooting model rockets off (around 1 pm.) One went pretty much over my head. Scared the bejesus out of me.

Rex_Skidmore said:
Ohhhhhhh, riiiiiiiiiiight. I ordered it that way and originally had a paint scheme that would apply white to the blue front triangle and blue on the white rear triangle. It was meant to blend the contrast between the 2 colors. There was a white fork involved, too. Put all that on hold when I bought a Blur and then, a boat. By sheer mass alone, the boat won the war of the gravitational pull on my Mad Money Fund.

What was your take of the conditions at ST on Sunday?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.