Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugghhh. So, I'm assuming no. This was going to be my first in STP. My colleague, a guide/riding partner for today, said that I was being optimistic as well.

This rain thing is coming at a bad time... when I go back to school next week I won't have much time to ride.

What's a better choice? Quicksilver, St Jose, or Kennedy-Priest Rock?

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
all local riding will be ugly sticky clay, closed....or fireroad.

head out to Ft Ord for a long day trip and muck around there - Ord holds up very good in the rainy season and has a plethora of rollery singletrack.

bring lube....or your bike will sound like it's eating fritos...and a map....you don't wanna wander into the unexploded ordinance sections...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
St Joes and Kennedy will be fine. Santa Teresa gets bad due to clay/mud that sticks to everything. If you go, spray some Pam or other nonstick spray on your tires and go for it. Just remember to be careful on the road out. The non-stick spray does work but only for a bit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pmarshall said:
St Joes and Kennedy will be fine.
I figured that steep hill should be fine with water running off right away. So, I'll be going for a short ride in good old St Joes later today. Thanks for the feedback.

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
Santa Teresa was closed to bikes when I went by on the road bike yesterday at 5pm. With last night's rain, there's no way that it will be open.

As the others have mentioned, you would not want to ride there now anyhow.

-D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Funny story about Santa Teresa mud. I rode a heavy 1980's schwinn high sierra 18spd. I used to rock that bike pretty good. We used to ride the section of ST that is closed now. It was a rock face that you would get to from the coyote peak fire road. We rode one day in the rain and my bike got covered. It must have weighed over 40lbs by this point. I went to my rental in Willow Glen and left the bike next to my car. Forgot about it and in the morning, it was gone. Somebody got a good workout riding that muddy pig away. I don't miss it though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took a chance rode St Joes today. I couldn't let a little rain ruin my first chance ride in two weeks.

Didn't see anybody initially. Trail wasn't really muddy; I slipped and slid only few times on the way up. Wasn't raining on the way up. There were handful of hikers. Aside from me and my riding buddy, I saw few riders. On the way down, we saw about 6 or 7 rider starting their ride when rain began to sprinkle.

It was nice to ride again. I enjoyed the warm shower.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
light_monkey said:
Ugghhh. So, I'm assuming no. This was going to be my first in STP. My colleague, a guide/riding partner for today, said that I was being optimistic as well.

This rain thing is coming at a bad time... when I go back to school next week I won't have much time to ride.

What's a better choice? Quicksilver, St Jose, or Kennedy-Priest Rock?
Quicksilver closes at the slightest rain. To check Santa Teresa and Quicksilver closings, call 1-408-355-2200 and follow the menu.

Sierra Azul is rain legal and the dirt roads hold up well. For something different, try going in from the top of Hicks Rd.. The Woods trail from there is semi-level with lots of little waterfalls. I sometimes ride up the paved Mt. Umuhnum and back down Barlow trail. Even more of a workout is over El Sombroso and down Kennedy. The final ascent is a killer - 1000' in a mile.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
rensho said:
Shhhh!

If you ride there tomorrow, please take pics of your tires and show us the mud clearance.
Clearance? Not only does mud completely fill the gap, it somehow oozes and wraps completely around the fork and chain stays and rejoins itself before solidifying into new state of impervious matter.

But please take pics, if or when you eventually return.

At Santa Teresa: Laws of physics > Laws of man

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
50lbs of thick clay that can not be washed off with water: free.
Ticket for riding closed trails: $300
Joining the ST Park I'll-never-do-that-again club: priceless
Hey, that'd be my club you're joining. Each time I think it's not that bad after light rain and a little sun, I renew my membership.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.