Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been seeing plenty of riders out there lately, if ur a frequent rider of anytrails in or around santa teresa park post what kind of bike u ride etc... fav trail up there... maybe we can get a group ride goin or somethin
peace......

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
I try to get out to Santa Teresa a couple times a week, early in the morning before work.

But in the rain the mud turns to a clay-like cement that within 1000 feet of riding will lock your bike's wheels up solid and make it weight 80 lbs to carry back home to chisle off with a metal tool because sticks will break before the mud. -- Whew that was long.

I wait about 4 days of sun after a rain for the mud to turn back into dirt. Maybe 3 days works too.

SungChang was also trying to get some local rides going a couple weeks ago. But the rain is interfering with getting any solid plans going. I keep thinking it's going to settle down about now. I come into ST from the north (IBM/Almaden side) and go up the hills real slow though. Maybe others around (jeorgemonkey?) will want to go with you.

Santa Teresa isn't big, but has everything for great training runs and fun. Lots of very steep fire roads, lots of single track, stream crossings, and especially lots of super technical with 6" or larger rock gardens in the slippery mud. It used to have a 2.5' drop but it was removed (for safety?). For the rock gardens, check out Stile Ranch or Rocky Ridge Trail.

I ride a Heckler with 5.6" suspension (front and rear) to handle these rock gardens, but the rest of the park can be handled with a hard tail.

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
ST Freeride?

BigLarry said:
It used to have a 2.5' drop but it was removed (for safety?). For the rock gardens, check out Stiles Ranch or Ridge Trail.
QUOTE]

Where in ST has there ever been a 2.5' drop?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i was wondering.......
theres some other stuuf being built up there, but thats discolsed info, jus a few gaps, and drops, maybe skinnies.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
OGDHr said:
Where in ST has there ever been a 2.5' drop?
The drop was on Stile Ranch Trail, on the first hill from Bernal Rd. up from the Mine Trail, just after crossing the little bridge. The drop had a big ~14" log holding back the dirt. The drop was maybe under 2' at the log but if you jumped out a couple feet as typical, it could be between 2' to 2.5' drop altogether. Now the log was removed, and it's just a little steeper there.

To do the drop you had to come down from Stile Ranch towards Bernal, opposite of the way people usually go in order to do the nasty Stile Ranch rock garden combined with tight switchbacks down hill. It landed on a slight hill slope and I slid out the first time I did this drop without inspection on my first visit to ST, and ended up with a very nasty trail rash up the side of my arms and legs. No, I didn't sue the park for my screw up. I just wanted to build up my skills to try again. But somebody must have threatened because it was removed perhaps 9 to 12 months ago. I was disappointed as I wanted to try it again with my new Heckler in November. Now that I think about it, the log was removed about the same time that guy in Annadel sued because he messed up on some gravel hill around Rough Go (IIRC), and it got sanitized at the same time.

For a map of Santa Teresa, see the link on the bottom of this parkhere.org page.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ride there all of the time as I live and work within a mile or two. I ride a SyCip hardtail and almost always wear their race kit (I just quit racing last year and have over10 years worth of their clothing to wear out!) I typically ride at lunch and sneak over on weekends a lot, but can hook up most anytime if a ride is set up.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think ive seen you up there there before, i ride a azonic steelhead hardtail, painted camo, its got shivers,ill look out for some of you peeps

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
I ride there usually 2-3 times a week after work. I live right by the park, so its perfect for me to do after work ride from about 5 until whenever I'm done. I'm out there on a black Enduro usually mon, tues, and sometimes wed. I'd be down for gettin a group ride goin up there. My usual route is to climb Bernal road to Mine, climb Mine and do the Bernal/Vista loops for a warm up, then climb the fireroad to Coyote Peak, down Rocky, and up and over Stiles. I to miss that log on Stiles. I took my buddy out there the week before they removed it, and since it was the first time he had ridden a bike in 4+ years he decides to go off it and had a great looking wreck, got his legs and arm cut up. But like a trooper he got up and did it again and made it :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
I USE TO LOOK FORWARD TO THAT DROP,THAT WAS THE ONLY REASON I RODE UP STILES.NOW I RIDE A WHITE 575 BEFORE THAT A TRACER AND A SANTA CRUZ V10,FOES FLY ,TITUS SWITCH BLADE AND A RARE ROTEC XC4.tHAT IS A PLACE YOU CAN RIDE ALL DIFFRENT KINDS OF BIKES WHEN YOU HAVE ROCKS LIKE THAT.

·
Registered
648 Posts
BigLarry said:
I try to get out to Santa Teresa a couple times a week, early in the morning before work.

But in the rain the mud turns to a clay-like cement that within 1000 feet of riding will lock your bike's wheels up solid and make it weight 80 lbs to carry back home to chisle off with a metal tool because sticks will break before the mud. -- Whew that was long.

I wait about 4 days of sun after a rain for the mud to turn back into dirt. Maybe 3 days works too.

SungChang was also trying to get some local rides going a couple weeks ago. But the rain is interfering with getting any solid plans going. I keep thinking it's going to settle down about now. I come into ST from the north (IBM/Almaden side) and go up the hills real slow though. Maybe others around (jeorgemonkey?) will want to go with you.

Santa Teresa isn't big, but has everything for great training runs and fun. Lots of very steep fire roads, lots of single track, stream crossings, and especially lots of super technical with 6" or larger rock gardens in the slippery mud. It used to have a 2.5' drop but it was removed (for safety?). For the rock gardens, check out Stile Ranch or Rocky Ridge Trail.

I ride a Heckler with 5.6" suspension (front and rear) to handle these rock gardens, but the rest of the park can be handled with a hard tail.
Hey BigLarry where have you been? I haven't seen you on the forums lately :)

I'm still waiting to go ride ST, but the rains just won't stop and I have had enough of mud, especially the walking the bike in mud as wheels won't turn and the cleaning that is needed afterwards. That being said, we still need to get some local rides soon.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Sungchang, I've been slightly less ubiquitous as work has interfered with play, where things are happening now that could go big, or not, and as leader I need to spend time pushing things the right direction.

Lately, I'm watching kids a lot of weekends as my wife scheduled openings for my two-day Henry Coe epic (see here) and more time for the May by the Bay 7 coming up the weekend after next. Rain hasn't help schedule things either.

I also pushed back my Moab trip to October, after I get things at work moving in a new inertial frame. I also want to get me smaller and acquire better skills for Moab, which could take a summer.

Fast Eddy, I'll be joining some of the May by the Bay. Furshur the ST the Friday in 11 days - a hop from my house. Saturday I'll drop down into Manzanita Camp at Henry Coe as well. But Sunday I may do an Ale/Trail thing as amazingly I've never been to China Camp and this looks like a rare treat. I may also pick up a May-Bay ride during the week, like to Santa Cruz, if I can break from work.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
sungchang said:
Hey BigLarry where have you been? I haven't seen you on the forums lately :)

I'm still waiting to go ride ST, but the rains just won't stop and I have had enough of mud, especially the walking the bike in mud as wheels won't turn and the cleaning that is needed afterwards. That being said, we still need to get some local rides soon.
I did a quick ride up at the park monday afternoon, and the small amount of trails I took were in very good condition. The original goal was to ride up and down Bernal rd on my SS to get in better shape, but since the trails looked dry I ended up climbing up Coyote Peak (fireroad was completly dry) then I took Hidden Springs back to Bernal, and on the next climb up Bernal I took Mine back down to Bernal and except for 1 slightly muddy spot, it was very ridable. I saw a few people headin up the mountain on bikes as I was on my way home. I've found that when Hidden Springs behind the girls ranch is a mess, then Rocky & Stiles are a mess, and when its good the other trails are good. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride out there wed after work. Hopefully I'll be able to make the May by the Bay ride there as well. Gotta sweet talk my boss into letting me off early. If not, I'll go ride up there and hook up with ya'll around 5.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
BigLarry said:

Stiles and Rocky Ridge are the 2 best parts of ST, imo. I prefer to ride Stiles to RR...climb RR and then fly back down. The last time I was there I almost had a nasty crash comiing back down....a bit too fast :D

When I was climbing RR, I was approaching 2 old guys hiking down...As I approached them, one said 'boy, you sure make that look easy".....at which point I crashed right at his feet. I just love irony.

·
Old Guy that rides
183 Posts
you mean this one???

This is the only one that comes to mind

BigLarry said:
The drop was on Stile Ranch Trail, on the first hill from Bernal Rd. up from the Mine Trail, just after crossing the little bridge. The drop had a big ~14" log holding back the dirt. The drop was maybe under 2' at the log but if you jumped out a couple feet as typical, it could be between 2' to 2.5' drop altogether. Now the log was removed, and it's just a little steeper there.

To do the drop you had to come down from Stile Ranch towards Bernal, opposite of the way people usually go in order to do the nasty Stile Ranch rock garden combined with tight switchbacks down hill. It landed on a slight hill slope and I slid out the first time I did this drop without inspection on my first visit to ST, and ended up with a very nasty trail rash up the side of my arms and legs. No, I didn't sue the park for my screw up. I just wanted to build up my skills to try again. But somebody must have threatened because it was removed perhaps 9 to 12 months ago. I was disappointed as I wanted to try it again with my new Heckler in November. Now that I think about it, the log was removed about the same time that guy in Annadel sued because he messed up on some gravel hill around Rough Go (IIRC), and it got sanitized at the same time.

For a map of Santa Teresa, see the link on the bottom of this parkhere.org page.

Attachments

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
BigLarry said:

Here is a pic of me getting a little air on that drop you are talking about.

Attachments

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Picture's worth a lot of words

Yep, OGDHr and shanedawg, that's the fun little drop that I now miss more than ever, seeing your pictures. Looks a little smaller in the pictures than I remember, but everything technical looks smaller and easier in flat pictures with no depth. Using the 26" wheel as a measure, the drop indeed just looks a bit under 2' at the log, and with another few inches of drop if you go out like in shanedawg's photo.

My first time in Santa Teresa, coming the other way I didn't think the drop was anything and did it without examining the other side or preparing properly. I came down too far to the right (left side in the picture by OGDHr), landing on the side slope and slid out halfway down the trail, about where bare patch in the second shanedawg picture. Some of my arm and leg skin is still there. :eek:

I still wonder why they took it out. Maybe I'll call and ask. Maybe it was just a simple maintainence issue and they'd let it go back in if we did the work. But that's dreaming. More likely a lawyer told them to remove it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.