Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to south SJ and was wondering what's a good loop to ride at STP. I'm told the trails can be closed to bikes after heavy rains.
Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
Here's my favorite route

I like to meet at the shopping center at the corner of Santa Teresa and Bernal (I live about 1 mi from there).
Weave through the neighborhood to the enterance by the archery range.
Get a good warm-up around the golf course before taking the old road around the "girls ranch".
Drop down to the bottom of Rocky Ridge and start the fun climb up.
At the top of Rocky Ridge @ the intersection of Coyote Peak (I didn't quite draw the line far enough), I turn around and ride down RR.
Just before the day use area take a hard left onto Fortini.
At the fork, bend right and climb up Mine, then bend left onto Stiles.
Climb to the top of Stiles and drop down the switchbacks.
Climb back up Fortini to the day use area.
Drop down Hidden Springs and Ohlone and turn to catch Bernal Rd.
Road burn / Cool down back to the shopping center.

Attachments

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
tsimbu said:
I like to meet at the shopping center at the corner of Santa Teresa and Bernal (I live about 1 mi from there).
Weave through the neighborhood to the enterance by the archery range.
Get a good warm-up around the golf course before taking the old road around the "girls ranch".
Drop down to the bottom of Rocky Ridge and start the fun climb up.
At the top of Rocky Ridge @ the intersection of Coyote Peak (I didn't quite draw the line far enough), I turn around and ride down RR.
Just before the day use area take a hard left onto Fortini.
At the fork, bend right and climb up Mine, then bend left onto Stiles.
Climb to the top of Stiles and drop down the switchbacks.
Climb back up Fortini to the day use area.
Drop down Hidden Springs and Ohlone and turn to catch Bernal Rd.
Road burn / Cool down back to the shopping center.
This is a great ride there. The only change I would make is leaving on the single track you start on instead of going down Bernal. Purely to maximize single track time.
When things dry out we should start up a regular weekday after work ride.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
To add to this, I would include the portion of Mine trail closes to the road.

This loop is almost the exact route that is used for the XC race there.:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's going to be closed for at least 5 days in my in opinion. There are those who live close to STP should know more from recent trends but STP has nasty mud-clay when wet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info! I'll have to join you guys for those evening rides.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
(408) 355-2200 gets you the recorded “trails are open/not open” hotline information. Same message since Sunday at 1PM so far, trails closed to bikes/horsies.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
A lot of people rant and rave about Rocky Ridge. Although it's an awesome trail, STP offers a TON of awesome trails on the other side of Bernal, as well. Great for the XC bunch, may be nothing but a hellish climb for the huckers.

I even have a "hidden trail" that's actually paved in STP that can be ridden when the trails are closed. It's part of my cyclocross loop.

I do tsimbu's loop, but add Joice, Bernal, Vista and Norred trails.

On my lunch rides, I usually just climb Stiles to Mine, parking lot and back. It's all I have time for since I ride out to the trailhead.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting the reopening of the trails there… I check the recorded message twice daily… still waiting… :(

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
Called about 20 mins ago, still a Negative. Curses! Got to be open 2morrow, got to be

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
Both times I called today it had the same recorded “STCP trails closed for horsies and bikieboys” message from Sunday. :rolleyes: Surely that sticky-ass syrupy epoxy-like mud has had ample time to dry up by now!!!

·
Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
771 Posts
I suspect these rangers are not always as johnny-on-the-spot as they perhaps could be. But whatev, if not updated tomorrow guess I'll have to get out the bike carrier & head to Skeggs or something.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I suspect it is RR that is keeping it closed, you know the mess it gets at the bottom. The rangers once told me that if they have to have everything open or nothing. They can close just RR and open the rest, but, to close RR on its own take special permission by some head hancho. then re opening it is a pain as well. I will cruise by this am on my way out and post if there is any change.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Eating lunch right now, in about an hour I'm rolling up Almaden Q on the cyclocross bike - it's open except for Randall trail.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts