Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love riding down the Rocky Ridge trail at Santa Teresa, but, man, does that fire road climb to get to the start suck donkeys!

Attention, anyone from Santa Clara County Parks? Could we please get a nice, contouring singletrack from the main carpark area to the start of Rocky Ridge - as an alternative to that sucky fireroad? One can dream! :)

Ross.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I love riding down the Rocky Ridge trail at Santa Teresa, but, man, does that fire road climb to get to the start suck donkeys!

Attention, anyone from Santa Clara County Parks? Could we please get a nice, contouring singletrack from the main carpark area to the start of Rocky Ridge - as an alternative to that sucky fireroad? One can dream! :)

Ross.
What's wrong with riding up rocky ridge and then back down again?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
A lighter bike with light wheels help alot. Try it at the next demo day and take an Ibis or a 429/ sb130.

On the other hand, it did be great if there is a way to add more slope to the flatter section of Rocky Ridge. Something like Stiles is perfect.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,609 Posts
I've been riding Rocky Ridge since 2010 and see no problems with the access to it. HTFU and grow some legs is all I can recommend. Up and down Rocky Ridge is the way I go, rather than up the fire road radio tower climb. In fact, the best way is via Harry Rocky Harry (look it up on Strava) - it's a proper workout that everyone can appreciate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
While the gates do suck, you should ride up Boundary Trail (also has a gate), that will make you appreciate Coyote Peak Trail so much more.

Frankly, I just wish ST didn't get 10" deep sticky mud for every 0.0001" of water.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't mean to hijack, but related/relevant question:
Are there any legal trails equivalent or kind of equivalent to Rocky Ridge (or maybe the rocky part of Stiles) in any of the other parks in SF/Peninsula/EB/SantaCruz? I'm thinking size of rocks and length of rocky sections.

Maybe Manzanita? I've ridden Skeggs a couple times, but not Manzanita yet.

Thanks!

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
???

I don't know. It doesn't seem bad at all. It's not a ton of elevation. It's steep-ish (not really, it's quite OK actually). Climbing up Rocky is harder for me, because I can't clean it and actually takes thought, whereas the fireroad I can zone out and just pedal, futz with my phone, etc. It's big and wide.

Harry-Rocky-Harry is tough. Stiles has gotten a lot more loose over the years on the Harry side, and that climb is tough, but good.

The *only* thing I don't like about STCP, it gets stupid hot in the summer, with no shade. All the heat gathers and bake you with convection.

IMO, single track is for descending. Climbing single track, meh. It's more fun the other way, and climbers just get in the way. So, no on single track for me. Take Rocky or deal with the fireroad.

Are there any legal trails equivalent or kind of equivalent to Rocky Ridge (or maybe the rocky part of Stiles) in any of the other parks in SF/Peninsula/EB/SantaCruz? I'm thinking size of rocks and length of rocky sections.

Maybe Manzanita? I've ridden Skeggs a couple times, but not Manzanita yet.

Thanks!
No. Manzanita is rocky, but a different type. It's rounded smoother bumps. Rocky Ridge and Stiles are unique, IMO. I've not encountered anything the same....except maybe when trail work happens and it gets sanitized but that lasts about a year.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been several years since I've ridden there, but I remember Rockville Hills Regional Park (near Vallejo/Fairfield) living up to its name. There were lots of rocky sections there.

For some reason, many of the North Bay trails (Rockville, Annadel, and even China Camp and Tamarancho) are noticeably rockier than most of the South Bay...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Love" and Santa Teresa. Two words never thought would share a sentence.

Before you all pundits grab the noose, it is :nice:... but :love:???
Yes, riding *down* Rocky Ridge is awesome! It's just getting to the top (especially on a hot sunny day - i.e., almost every day at this time of the year) that sucks.

But you should just go there on your e-bike (dunno if they're legal there though); then you won't care about riding that fireroad to the top.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Cross Canyon Trail at Henry Coe. The middle section where the trail goes in, out, along, and through the creek for about a mile. Difficult to clean in the Spring when there is water flowing. A bit easier when the creek is dry, but you still have to maneuver around rounded rocks and keep your balance. No hikers will be in your way.

·
loopy counter
872 Posts
Yes, riding *down* Rocky Ridge is awesome!

But you should just go there on your e-bike (dunno if they're legal there though); then you won't care about riding that fireroad to the top.
I've demoed an ebike there. If anything, 20 extra pounds (of perhaps poorly adjusted) gear makes downhilling more miserable. Surprising I bought one after that. But 50 milers in Coe is why, not Santa Teresa.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,609 Posts
Rode there yesterday evening and had a blast… furnace! :D Did my favourite loop (see my previous post) and the trails were pretty good except for a few loose spots on Stile Ranch and Rocky Ridge.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I raced a DH race down Rocky Ridge in the Early 2ks - the Stanford Sub-Atomic Smash if I recall correctly (I was old even then). They shuttled us up Hidden Springs in a stake-bed truck. A sight unlikely to be seen there again.....

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.