Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, its been a looong time deciding, test riding, and getting tons of great input from many of you here. So, this past Monday I put in the order for my RFX. Yes, I went w/ 'boring' gray, but to me, it is a subtle sexiness i suppose. (My gf would kill me if she heard how i describe my bike :)
Anyhow, here's just a few pics I snapped thru the build. Nuthin too blingy...
Thanks to the fellas at Santiam bikes in Salem, OR who jumped on the phone & fax Monday to get the paperwork to Turner to be an authorized dealer! Plus, I was expecting the bike sometime in January-got it Friday & was riding Saturday eve!! (it was 2 am before i knew it!)
Just putzin' around the hood, dropping off stairs & whatnot, this is EXACTLY what i was looking for-WAY more plushness than my FSR 5" bike but still totally snappy feeling hammering up hills around the house...
The DHX-A is an 06' version, so hopefully I'll be luckier than many w that shock..a risk i took to save some weight, but we'll see.
Oh yeah, the frame (large) weighed 8.1# on the shop's digi scale. I'll bring it by tomorrow to weigh the finished product & update on the build thread.

PS-I KNOW i stole the hub-thru-the-valve photo thing from bob...props to him for the inspiration for that shot.

edit-oh yeah, and thanks to Turner for getting those oh-sixes out early!
Merry X-mas everyone!
Jdub.

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
congrats! oh, the joy of the first ride huh? just wait till its dialed in a bit more and then check the grin. shes lookin dern sexy indeed. if the g/f catches on, just ask the girl to pose with it next time so you can tell her ya need her to make it look good. this might keep ya from sleepin in the work room.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Sweet bike. Enjoy!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...

I'm getting her dialed in (pretty much started w/ Tscheezy's rear shock setup-we weigh about the same). I got a chance to ride about 3 hrs urban on Monday...nice. very nice. Hit some 2-3' to flats off loading docs, lots of stairs, several good hills, and a bit of muddy trail too.
This bike is great! Pedals better than my 5" fsr IMO, and is soo plush. The Pike is super sweet-just cant get it to bottom yet, so more foolin w/ pressures up there (or maybe some bigger stuff-just don't have the guts yet).
I just need to hit the Powerball now so I can ride 5 days & work 2!

One thing I noticed w/ the DHX air-the small chamber loses about 40 PSI when you unscrew the pump. I did this test about 8 or 10 times, then screwed pump back on to see PSI. Just about 40psi each time....maybe this is why many have bottom out/tuning issues w/ DHX air? They think they're riding around w/ 100psi, and only have 60? plus, manual says anything under 75 causes "Emulsification" and voids warranty?? Tried both my Fox & RS pump-same results.

·
12,942 Posts
total air makes a no bleed adaptor that fixes this problem for about $15 and worth every last cent. mine, then branded as a risse, has been goin strong on my fox hp pump for about 9 years. qbp part # pu4600.

my guess is that cheese and the rest know about this trick but you could be right. good call. glad the new toy is doin well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5 spot - DHX Air

I picked up my "fully-loaded" 5 spot on Christmas Eve - thanks to all the guys at Bikelab, Poole, Dorset for rushing it through. It is silver and has that all important Horst-link on the chain stay. Kitted out with Fox Talas forks, Thomson kit, SRAM and Raceface drivetrain, Hope mono M4 brakes etc.

Mine came with the DHX air shock as well. I noticed last night when I checked the boost valve reservoir pressure it read 80-psi when I know I'd put 120 psi in the day before (when I took it ouit for its first ever off-road ride). The answer may be that the pump has to fill up with air to register the PSI reading - on a normal air shock that would reduce the true reading by 10 psi. But on this much smaller reservoir it takes proportionately more air out and drops it by 40 psi.

I've put 140 psi in now in the hope that the pro-pedal will start to work at least when fully turned on - may have to put even more air in.

Most importantly the bike road fantastically - even on this first ride i could feel my self taking tracks faster than on my Santa Cruz Superlight. Also, I managed to ride up a tricky shoot that I'd never cleaned before.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Biker75 said:
One thing I noticed w/ the DHX air-the small chamber loses about 40 PSI when you unscrew the pump. I did this test about 8 or 10 times, then screwed pump back on to see PSI. Just about 40psi each time....maybe this is why many have bottom out/tuning issues w/ DHX air? They think they're riding around w/ 100psi, and only have 60? plus, manual says anything under 75 causes "Emulsification" and voids warranty?? Tried both my Fox & RS pump-same results.

FYI The air loss that you are seeing on the guage is not a loss when you take the pump off it is when you put the pump on. When you put the pump on it takes air from the air chamber on the shock to charge the pump and the guage on it! Now you may be thinking when I take the pump off I am hearing air escaping from something, that air that you hear is the air coming out of the pump itself, not the shock, it is the air that was charging the pump and guage, not the shock.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Hey, AZ.

Myitch here. Suuhhwweeettt ride. I'm almost thinking of a 6 Pack/RF6 too. But nah, I need to keep the weight down for these little legs on the climbs.

I'm sure you're just itching to ride that sweet puppy!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
weighed it..

FWIW,
Complete bike w/ 2.10 Kenda Nevagals & FSA bash: 31.4 pounds...niiiice. Lighter by over a pound than the Kona Dawg (5" bike) my buddy was looking at buying. Of course the Turner at nearly 2 1/2 times the cost, tho! :eek:

·
12,942 Posts
just wait till ya put on a proper sized tire for that frame. 2.1's? yer biginnin to sound like davide pal. even at 31 lbs, it kinda smells like it was built with flux or spot parts. mind if i ask for the spec? maybe i should keep my big mouth shut till i see it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
cactuscorn said:
just wait till ya put on a proper sized tire for that frame. 2.1's? yer biginnin to sound like davide pal. even at 31 lbs, it kinda smells like it was built with flux or spot parts. mind if i ask for the spec? maybe i should keep my big mouth shut till i see it.
hehe,
I have 2.1's and 2.35's for this bike-this sadly has to be my 1 and only bike, from mellow s/t to the lite freeride I like to do. Hell, I had to sell 2 others just to get this! (but so worth it).
As for the spec, its up on the 6-pack DB here
..its not too shabby, could go lighter, could go heavier. But for me, for now, it freaking kicks arse. Maybe once my skills progress into bigger stuff, I'll beef it up. Till then...

·
12,942 Posts
acctually i spied the spec as i got curious. besides that xc carbon bar all looks sound. promise me no drops till ya get rid of that thing will ya? puttin on the 2.35's will make a world of diff in the handeling too. this aint no race bike bubba. ditch them xc skinnies! i get to say all this cuz im a skinny old man with no leg power on a big friggin bike myself. 32.5 or 38.5 depending on the bits as mine has dual personalities but im sure yer tired of hearin about it by now. nice build pal! now toss that teeny bar before yer dentist owns yer new bike.

·
12,942 Posts
good call freek. happy new year pal. hope to see ya again real damn soon. chill some kiltlifter for me as i may be out in feb demo day or not. will be good to ride with ya when were both more up to the task on some better dirt. lets go up top next time shall we? now, which bike to bring? gotta think the nickle bag.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cactuscorn said:
acctually i spied the spec as i got curious. besides that xc carbon bar all looks sound. promise me no drops till ya get rid of that thing will ya? puttin on the 2.35's will make a world of diff in the handeling too. this aint no race bike bubba. ditch them xc skinnies! i get to say all this cuz im a skinny old man with no leg power on a big friggin bike myself. 32.5 or 38.5 depending on the bits as mine has dual personalities but im sure yer tired of hearin about it by now. nice build pal! now toss that teeny bar before yer dentist owns yer new bike.
Carbon bar?!?! No way, not here! Maybe on the S-works I just sold...the bar is AL-luminium...I have seen too many pics on this site w/ those carbon bars snapped in half & some poor guy w/ a mouthful of chicklets & co-agulating blood!
Here's a better shot of the build

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
huh? wah? who?

cactuscorn said:
good call freek. happy new year pal. hope to see ya again real damn soon. chill some kiltlifter for me as i may be out in feb demo day or not. will be good to ride with ya when were both more up to the task on some better dirt. lets go up top next time shall we? now, which bike to bring? gotta think the nickle bag.

:cool:

·
12,942 Posts
woops. my bad. i assumed ya meant a carbon pro taper. still though, isnt that a tad bit xc-ish anyway or do they make a big bar i didnt know about?

·
12,942 Posts
that was for azspeedfreek. see all the cute little dots goin from his post to mine? cummon 75! try to keep up with me pal! hehe.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cactuscorn said:
that was for azspeedfreek. see all the cute little dots goin from his post to mine? cummon 75! try to keep up with me pal! hehe.
D'oh, my bad. That 75 stands for my age, judging by my perception 2nite!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts