Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are heading to santa fe and winsor zone tomorrow (Friday) for a ride. i haven't ridden up there for probably 10 years. memory is foggy. any suggestions on best routes? any idea how the trails are after rains?
thanks!

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Hit it early. Rains have been picking up by 1pm.

Here's my favorite route: Sorry no GPS tracks.

1. Park a Nuns Corner on Hyde Park Road, (Just past Ten Thousand Waves at the bottom of the big hill) There's an obvious pull-out big enough for 6 or 7 cars on the right. If no parking there, go up to the the wooden SF Natl forest sign about 1/2 mile further to park.

2. Continue to pedal up Hyde Park 1 mile to Chamiza trailhead on the left. It's the first trailhead you'll come to.

3. From the Chamiza lot, take the trail to your right, up the hill. First 1/3 mile is a grunt but it gets easier.

4. You'll reach the saddle after about 1 mile. Head right down the hill to Winsor.
(At the saddle, note the trail to the left, you'll take that on the return trip)

5. Up Winsor to Pacheco Canyon Road. Stay left at all the forks/trailsigns. Probably 4-5miles to the dirt road.

6. Pedal up (to your right) Pacheco Canyon Road to Big T trail (about 1 mile. You'll see 5 wooden posts on your right along the road. Easy to spot. Those mark the short feeder trail to Big T) Head down that short trail about 100yds until you come to Big T.

7. Head right down Big T until it intersects with Winsor again. Take Winsor back to Chamiza and start the climb back out.

8. Once back at the saddle, head up the trail to your right. (The one you noted earlier)

9. Continue on this trail (Sidewinder) for 2 or maybe 3 miles. You'll come to a long (200yds), straight and clear trail section that overlooks the valley. Here there's a barbwire fence that parallels the trail on your right.

10. Head thru the barbwire fence at the end of this section. There's an obvious opening in the fence. This is Burn trail.

11. Go down the switchbacks and roll another 2/3 of a mile to the small rock cairn on your right. Easy to miss so keep your eyes open. You'll see a trail heading to the left.

12. Take this trail on the left (Juan?). Stay left at the obvoius T intersection (maybe 2/3 of a mile in) and roll back to the creek.

13. Head left up the creek, back to your car.

Maybe 15-17 miles total. 3000 - 3500ft of climing.

Lots of directions. May be confusing. Not sure of the trail numbers and most trails aren't marked with names but it's really pretty easy and nearly impossible to get lost. (The only dicey part is if you miss the small rock cairn on Burn. Even if you do, you'll just end up back on the Winsor so no big deal.) Have a good time whatever you decide to ride.

Todd

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
todd thanks for the beta and the ride route! i appreciate it. this sounds like a great ride... i will keep it posted here on mtbr with what we end up doing!
thanks again for the response. appreciated!
all the best
kevin

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
makachut said:
ditto on the rain, we have been getting hit early in the day
cool man... will do. thanks! we should have a 7 am departure from burque so on trail by 9 at the latest... should get us outta there before rains... fingers crossed...

thanks!

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Kevin,
Rode some of that route tonight. I rained early today (1pm) and by 430pm trails were perfect-nice and tacky.

One point to clarify: On the return leg, at the Chamiza saddle (#4) be sure to take the far right trail which heads west up the hill. (not the one down the center which leads back to Chamiza trailhead)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cdaddy said:
Kevin,
Rode some of that route tonight. I rained early today (1pm) and by 430pm trails were perfect-nice and tacky.

One point to clarify: On the return leg, at the Chamiza saddle (#4) be sure to take the far right trail which heads west up the hill. (not the one down the center which leads back to Chamiza trailhead)
thanks for the clarification... appreciated! stoked to be getting some santa fean's beta. i haven't ridden up there in probably 10+ years. thanks again

·
Registered
278 Posts
ha! nice running into and meeting you todd/cdaddy. you actually made that silly single speed with wagon wheels look fun! just joking. i'm just not core enough too handle ss.

That being said, If I were visiting the Winsor, I'd make a simpler suggestion:

Start at the bottom of the Winsor in the Village of Tesuque ("Big Tesuque Road").

ride up (tons of stream crossings), past Chamisa, past Borrego and Bear Wallow, up to FR 102 (the spur off of Pacheco Canyon), then follow Todd's recs to the Big-T back to Winsor...then loop up Borrego, down Bear Wallow, then up Chamisa and out the Burn/Juan trail as described.

Or, take Winsor all-the way up to Norski TH (the "top" of the non-Wilderness Winsor, basically at the ski-area). The upper part of Winsor (above FR 102) is absolutely kick ass right now.

My only point is...if you park at the very bottom of the Winsor, you can always decide to bail back to the car quick if the storms roll in. If you park at Nun's corner (below Chamisa) you'll have to climb up and over Chamisa to get "out". without knowing how long of a ride you want to do, imo it sucks to always know you have a long climb ahead of you.

it's really all the same. but, I like starting at the true-bottom in tesuque. That may have to do with the fact I live in Tesuque.

have fun. i'm "working" tomorrow so can't ride or I'd show you around. have a fkn blast!

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
lacticacidbath said:
ha! nice running into and meeting you todd/cdaddy. you actually made that silly single speed with wagon wheels look fun! just joking. i'm just not core enough too handle ss.
If core translates to "not too proud to push" then yeah, I'm definately core.
Good to meet you too. Always nice to meet the person behind the mtbr handle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey thanks again for the beta cdaddy. we rode this ride on friday. got on just about 9 and finished by noon not hammering it. feeling it out. rain hit about 10 minutes after we got back to the car. last hour of ride got some good cracks of thunder. PUCKER! great climbing! great descending! lots of purchase in the turns. everything was stellar, and a great reminder of how mega the winsor zone is. descending chamisa to windsor is gangs of fun. it had been so long since i had been in that sorta forest-y, loamy terrain with a cool breeze and moist air that it felt like a beautiful jolt to be cruising amongst the trees. climb to pacheco is of course exerting. descending big T... mega mega mega! those high banked hairpins had me giggling the entire way. and my enduro dug that perfect incline... where you don't even have to really hammer it to keep going fast on the descents. ah! but getting back to chamisa and climbing back up the the saddle before heading to sidewinder... a great slap in the face after descending all of that sweet steepness on big T and winsor. sidewinder was cool too... soo sweet to go through the different mountain zones... with the pine and aspen... then back down and through the juniper before getting back to the car. all in all a great outing and just asserted to me "get there! MORE! WHILE IT'S MOIST! WHILE THERE'S NO SNOW!" beautiful zone. beautiful ride. thanks again for sharing your beta everyone... and cdaddy directions were great. and we look forward to getting up there again soon!
all the best
kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts