1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Santa Fe MTB Fest
September 8th & 9th
brought to you with support from:
Frankie Flats Bicycle Repair & Second Street Brewery
Also the folks at Mellow Velo and possibly Santa Fe Brewing...(keeps growing)​
This is a no-cost event!

Spinning the music on Saturday night, will be the skilled & beautiful DJ Miss Ginger

Directions:-Take Hyde Park Rd./Artist Rd./Ski Basin Rd.(State Rd 475) up into the mountains as if you are going to Ski Santa Fe.
-After passing thru Hyde State Park, look for the Big Tesuque campground at a big switchback. Just a couple turns after Big Tesuque (less than ½ mi) look for Forest Rd. 102 on the left.
-Follow FR 102 about 2.7 mi. until it intersects (at a "T" near a gate) with with FR 412.
-Go right on FR 412 about 1.3 mi until you see a large parking area on the right with a national forest hiker/trailhead gate. This is the staging area for the MTB fest (Aspen Ranch). There are many camping spots along the road for the last .75 mi. near the staging area.
-Hike into the gate, over a creek and straight up the hill thru another gate. Instead of taking the single track to the left after the 2nd gate, head straight up the hill and you will see a pretty meadow. This is where the festivities will be held and there are also camping spots in this area.
Note: This is not Aspen Ranch proper, as Aspen Ranch is Pueblo land and must be avoided. The area at which we are gathering is typically referred to as Aspen Ranch by land users, and is positioned next to Aspen Ranch Proper.

Rides: Start at 9:45am each day (may change)​
Saturday- Borrego/Rancho Viejo/Rio en Medio Loop.
Approx 3.5 - 5 hrs.
This is a giant loop that heads north into the mountains, which will reach the northernmost limit before the wilderness area boundary in a beautiful meadow next to the Rio Capulin. This ride is one of Santa Fe's best kept secrets.
The ride ends with VERY long forest road climb back to the Aspen Ranch staging area. Riders can leave a shuttle vehicle at the beginning of Pacheco Canyon Rd (FR 102 from the village of Rio en Medio) in order to ease the end of the ride.
Sunday- 102/Big T/Aspen Vista/Ravens Ridge/Windsor/Rio en Medio
Approx 3.5 - 5 hrs.
This ride is all alpine. Most of the climbing will be on forest road, which will hopefully ease the climb to 12,000 ft from our base camp at about 9000 ft. Once atop Raven's Ridge, any significant climbing is over and the ride back to Aspen Ranch will be a rewarding, technical descent.
This ride can be extended past Aspen Ranch for those wanting to experience the entire legendary Rio en Medio downhill trail. For those riders descending the entire Rio en Medio trail, wanting to avoid climbing back to Aspen Ranch on Pacheco Canyon Rd (FR 102), you can leave a shuttle vehicle at the beginning of Pacheco Canyon Rd (FR 102 from the village of Rio en Medio) in order to ease the end of the ride.

For more info contact:
Frankie Flats Bicycle Repair: 505-473-1712 http://frankieflats.com/
or T.J. Miller: 505-690-6375 [email protected]

Attendees are responsible for their own food, water, shelter.

MORE INFO TO COME! KEEP CHECKING IN!​

Photos below show the meadow which will host the Saturday night festivities and the main parking area. There is also more parking/camping spots along the forest road that leads to the area where these photos were taken. (I was up there in a storm, so I wasn't too enthusiastic about taking more photos)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There are also ways to make each ride easier for those who don't want to do such long rides. SO DON'T LET THE LEVEL OF THE RIDES KEEP YOU FROM JOINING THE FUN WEEKEND! If this might be you, just contact me, and I'll tell you how we can work it out. Also, I'm willing to share the beta on other rides in the area, if you'd rather check out some other stuff.

Also, Notaknob was kind enought o provide a great GPS map of the route from Santa Fe to the campspot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...05.849495&spn=0.129863,0.315857&t=h&z=12&om=1

Once turning off of the ski basin road, the dirt forest road to the camp site is 4 miles.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesterday, I secured the services of the awesome DJ Miss Ginger.
She'll be firing up the turntables at about 8pm on Saturday night, Sept. 8th.
By the way, does anyone have a reliable generator to use that evening? If not, we'll just rent one.
Also, do any of you tread-heads have a tent that we can use for the DJ / wrenching area?
Two tents would be nice.
I'm trying to get around renting these items.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those who might be apprehensive about coming to Santa Fe during Fiesta, don't worry. The camp/staging area is located around 18 miles from Santa Fe. The MTB Fiesta wil be much further out than any Santa Fe Fiesta-goers will venture.
That being said, camping is encouraged. It's a long drive to Santa Fe and back, so it might be difficult to meet the group to ride at 9:45 am from town. Plus, you'll want to join us in the meadow evening for the festivities!
Also, bring a warm sleeping bag and warm clothes. The evening/morning temps could be a bit chilly. Don't forget your headlamps, either!
It should be easy to use the directions from the flier to find and camp in the staging area Friday night, for those who are traveling to the event. I'm pretty sure I'll camp up there Friday night as well.
I'll post more info as it arises.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Right on!! Sounds like a great time:thumbsup: That Miss Ginger is freaking badass!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got home from riding the Rancho Viejo loop. It's in awesome condition, We did it in about 5 hrs including a short lunch and 1 mechanical.
Having not ridden that trail this year yet, I had forgotten how incredibly steep some of the climbs are. That being said, I once again would like to encourage some of the riders to shuttle some cars to the bottom of forest road 102 near the village of Rio en Medio on Saturday morning. Taking this forest road climb out of the end will be VERY nice for some of the more casual riders and not take too much out of the legs for Sunday's ride, which climbs to about 12,000 ft.

The ride was as beautiful as it gets. The mountains were spectacular and we were the only riders on the trail. The descents were well worth the climbing and pushing on the steep ascents.

Also I finished my 100 oz camel back and 2 bottles, so a lot of fluids will be necessary. There is no water where we are camping, so bring plenty of water for the festival in jugs for your rides and camoing needs. .Please do not take the water situation lightly.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
makachut said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=289654&stc=1&d=1187969281
Loud techno in the woods?Guess I'm getting too old for that.Is there an alternative place to camp for those who consider loud music and generators in the forest annoying?
Ha! Miss Ginger only rarely mixes electronic music into her sets. She's got way more than that going on. You'll see why she really rocks parties when you hear her style of spinning.
And yes, you are an old fart.

And yes, there is plenty of camping just outside of the staging area (all along the last 1/8 mile)and even more at about 1.3 miles down the forest road, for those who want to seperate a bit more. When we rode Rancho Viejo last Sunday I saw even more camping about 2 miles down hill from the staging area. This is all along the same road that the rides/fest are staged from.
There is a lot more camping space than we can use, and it comes in a variety of distances from the staging area.
Just PM me if you want me to tell you about some of the spots available.

·
Thread Pollution
1,734 Posts
Sausage Fest!!!What's beer without alot of sausage loving men.Thanks.Focused on beer and rest after I PARTY....Right on TJ ,this is an incredible thing you are organizing,perhaps you could persuade the DJ to throw in some BadBrains for us hooligans.More power to you&your sausage loving ways

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Shuttle on Saturday Ride

For those who would like to eliminate the long forest road climb at the end of Saturday's ride:
Saturday we will have a couple pickup trucks to follow anybody down from camp who wants to leave a car down at the bottom of the forest road near the village of Rio en Medio. This will allow you to not have to make arrangements to have someone follow you down and drive you back up. We will have you covered so you don't have to plan!
We will begin our drive from the staging area to the shuttle drop-off area at the bottom at 9:00am. That will allow us to begin the ride from the staging area by 9:45 - 10:00am. It should take 10 minutes to drive down and 10 - 15 minutes back up.
Anyone coming in who wants to meet us down there on Saturday morning, before driving up to camp, we will be there about 9:10 - 9:15am. So you can leave your car on the way in without having to drive up to camp and back down to leave your car.
I'll be camping up there Friday night, and I suppose some of the usual suspects will too. So you can meet us at camp or the shuttle drop-off area.

Directions to shuttle drop-off area (if you intend to rendezvous with us on your way in Saturday morning):
-Take Bishop's Lodge Rd north from Santa Fe.
-Pass through the village of Tesuque and about 2 mi after Tesuque turn Rt on Hwy 592.
-Follow 592 (to the villages of Rio en Medio & Chupedero) until you reach end at an intersection w/ a stop sign. Going left is paved and going straight is dirt. This is the bottom of Forest Rd 102 (Pacheco Canyon Rd).
-We will be leaving shuttle cars and meeting any arriving non-Friday night camping shuttle riders at this intersection at 9:15am.

If you don't plan on leaving a car at the bottom, just meet at the camp (Aspen Ranch). The directions to camp are in the flyer at the beginning of this post.

We will also run the trucks down for anyone who wants to leave a car at the same area for Sunday's ride. Just let us know. It's worth doing for the awesome, extended descent of the entire Rio en Medio after descending Raven's Ridge.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump-
3 more days. Remember to bring something to wash off with (Bathing towel and rag w/ water). There ain't no facilities.
It's cooling off at night in the Mtns, so bring warm clothes for the night/morning. Bring a rain jacket in case we get an afternoon shower on the rides.
And bring your party hats.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey TJ what time are you starting Sunday? I'll be in Los Alamos on Saturday and not sure if I'll make the party but I'll try. Was thinking of the Sunday ride maybe-or at least part of it
RICH

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rsclimb said:
Hey TJ what time are you starting Sunday? I'll be in Los Alamos on Saturday and not sure if I'll make the party but I'll try. Was thinking of the Sunday ride maybe-or at least part of it
RICH
We are starting the rides at 9:45am, maybe 10:00 am. If I know you, you will want to decend the entire Rio en Medio trail, so you should meet us at the shuttle drop-off area near the village, if you don't camp w/ us on Saturday night. You can meet us at 9:00am and just leave your car there. We will haul you and your bike to the start/camp.

EVERYONE SHOULD REMEMBER THAT WE WILL HAVE SHUTTLES TO DROP YOUR CAR ON SATURDAY TOO. I highly recommend this for less-fit riders.

Also remember there are several ways to make Sunday's loop much shorter/easier. So come on out, even if you can't do the longer rides!

Also DJ Dynamic, Miss Ginger's usual partner, will now be spinning instead. He's pretty much the same as Ginger - funk, soul, hip-hop, rock.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We're headed up to the camp tonight. We'll be at the shuttle zone w/ trucks at 9 am for those who want to meet down there and leave a car.
If anyone needs info, call Frankie Flats shop tomorrow during early business hours. His # is on the flyer in this thread. Please print maps of the rides from the links in this thread and bring them in your camelback, since the ride will likely spread out.
DJ starts spinning at 7:45 pm and we'll be tapping a keg sometime before that.
I hope you all are ready for some good rides, alpine atmosphere, and a fun evening w/ fellow treadheads and friends.
Que Viva!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts