Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that some sections in the area that shall not be named in Santa Cruz is closed and the powers that be have fenced off the area with a plastic fencing. Is this something they do and it lasts like 6 months and we can start riding again or is it all over for that area? I've heard "they" been cracking down but I wonder if it's more permanent now.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I noticed that some sections in the area that shall not be named in Santa Cruz is closed and the powers that be have fenced off the area with a plastic fencing. Is this something they do and it lasts like 6 months and we can start riding again or is it all over for that area? I've heard "they" been cracking down but I wonder if it's more permanent now.

Anyone know?
You are never allowed to ride that area/trail, whether the fence is there or not. And if you think a small plastic fence is enough to be a permanent solution to keep mountain bikers off an illegal trail, clearly you haven't been riding SC for very long.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are never allowed to ride that area/trail, whether the fence is there or not. And if you think a small plastic fence is enough to be a permanent solution to keep mountain bikers off an illegal trail, clearly you haven't been riding SC for very long.
Haha.....I see. So we should expect the flimsy plastic to disappear by the end of the month. Got it!

And no I never ride illegal trails anymore because reasons.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
So I see this in two places from the fire road. There are a bunch by the University property where they have and endangered beetle and some plants that they are nurturing in little cages.

There's also netting twin gates where there's an access trail on the fields. Basically, these fields are swamps in many areas and it takes months to dry off.

These nets with little photos/explanations of why seem VERY effective in keeping riders out. Really good to see.

fc

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
So I see this in two places from the fire road. There are a bunch by the University property where they have and endangered beetle and some plants that they are nurturing in little cages.

There's also netting twin gates where there's an access trail on the fields. Basically, these fields are swamps in many areas and it takes months to dry off.

These nets with little photos/explanations of why seem VERY effective in keeping riders out. Really good to see.

fc
FC, if I'm not mistaken the situation he is talking about is at the start of a trail just on the other side of the road from twin gates. This trail may or may not have some jumps and berms on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

fc
Just to be clear I'm all for letting the area dry out before we ride. And I'm on board with protecting endangered beetles if that's what UC wants. If the signs stay up I'll stay away.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes there are signs up at the usual "to lazy to be on the DL" :) entrance to the trail in question, yes there are ways to avoid the sensitive meadow areas, and yes said hypothetical trail is in epic shape right now. Well except for some rut deathtraps due to the people who just couldn't wait, and some surprise blowdowns here and there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.