Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been toying with the idea of building up a Bronson, V2 to be precise, not looking for a full on enduro bike, just something with a bit more travel than my Whyte T130c, something reasonably light and can do most things well. Anyone with experience on a Bronson care to say what they think of VPP? Cheers Neal

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I ride a Bronson V2 and definitely love the bike. It pedals well with very little if any bob until you really get out of the saddle, leaned forward, and start cranking, even then it isn’t crippling (I never use the climb switch if that says anything). Pedal kickback is a thing in higher gears plowing through chunk and the back end can get a bit hung up for whatever reason in chunky tech at low speed before you get used to how to move your weight / the bike around. Suspension setup is key to minimize wallow in the midstroke, but in general I like the kinematics.

That all being said, I rode this bike for a solid half a season every weekend at the bike park and it really hits above it’s weight class descending, especially if you slap an x2 on it and get your fork set up right. It wants to be pushed and really comes alive at speed. The bike really wants to be ridden fast. Once you get it moving it has a way of kind of popping and skipping through tech that’s really fun to ride. Super nimble and snappy once you get hauling while maintaining its composure well in everything up to bigger DH bike territory chunk. It’s definitely more finesse than plow bike (that title goes to the nomad in 27.5), especially when you start approaching DH tech terrain territory, but it’s all you need and more for most trail riding depending on where you’re located (I live in the rocky northeast and regularly ride ESC enduro tracks without issue on mine).

If someone told me I could do it all over again, I’d probably still choose this bike. Manueverable, versatile, highly capable, and just a really fun bike. Definitely recommend tossing an X2 on her to experience the bike’s full potential.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Its really best not to get hung up on the type. Just go straight for the kinematics.

Santa Cruz Bronson II 2016 - Linkage Design

There's the 2016, but it sounds like the 2019 is significantly different. Either way, thats the stuff you really want to be looking at if you want to REALLY know how a bike rides (without having access to physically testing everything). Everyone who owns x-bike tends to think its amazing (I think my orbea is amazing ;)), so its nice to have graphs. A bike that floats around 100% AS isnt going to be a pedaling monster, it'll be fairly neutral.

If you check out that graph of the VPP bronson 2, you'll notice that it actually resists pedal forces less than a lot of single pivots! In other words, the VPP bike pedals worse than a single pivot in some cases. In other cases its the opposite.

Whyte T-130 27.5'' 2015 - Linkage Design

Heres a 2015 whyte 130. Even an older bronson would feel like a rocket pedaling compared to that. Thats a pretty ugly AS graph.

There is definitely a lot more to kinematics than AS, but its an easy place to start. Everyone wants to know how a bike is going to pedal, and that tells a decent story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.