Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Full grown man
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to do some searching on the net about the V10(specifically an '04) and almost everything I found says what a sweet race bike it is. I'm wondering how it is for general dh'ing? Shuttle and lift assisted runs on very rocky trails, no large jumps or drops.
I've got a line on a lightly used frame for not too much. I'd build it up with a 888RC.
A little personal info -- I'm a overweight middle aged lifelong cyclist with no thoughts of ever racing who has only recently been getting into the dh scene .
Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
No it's not just a race bike. I know a ton of non-racers that use them for general DH. I have one of the first "new style" and I used to race,but now I just ride. I have over 1000 hours (logged) on my rig and it's fine. It even has a thinner down tube than production V-10's, and yet it keeps on going. You can even get one under 40 lbs if you know what your doing.

·
Registered
680 Posts
DHX
FSA Ti BB
Middleburn cranks
gammut guide
egg beater dual Tis
syntace stem
ea50 lo rise bars (in the lo rise there the same as the 70s)
formula brakes
X0 shifter
dura ace casette
DT 440 rear hub
WTB front hub
DT 5.1 rims
sapim bladed spokes
sapim alloy nipples
kenda nevegals 2.3/2.5 single plys
1.2MM tubes
SDG Ifly saddle and Ibeam post
king headset

I am probably ganna get a DHX air and a boxxer WC for it so it should end up in the 34 pounds range

Edit: my wheels are being replace with a set of outlaws for thrashing and a set of industry nines for racing.

·
I rot before I ripen
543 Posts
weird terry said:
Been trying to do some searching on the net about the V10(specifically an '04) and almost everything I found says what a sweet race bike it is. I'm wondering how it is for general dh'ing? Shuttle and lift assisted runs on very rocky trails, no large jumps or drops.
I've got a line on a lightly used frame for not too much. I'd build it up with a 888RC.
The bike rocks. I use it for exactly what you're asking. I'm a semi-old dude, too. It'll inspire tremendous confidence to take those large jumps and drops you'e been wanting to hit.

damon

·
Road/XC/Freeride
376 Posts
Can you use them for freeride when not DHing?

I've seen Nathan Rennie using his for his big stunts...

I just think they're just about the most awesome bike you can get but don't know how they'd take big hits and general FR riding (obv. not the XC side of freeride ;) )

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Ace1 said:
Can you use them for freeride when not DHing?

I've seen Nathan Rennie using his for his big stunts...

I just think they're just about the most awesome bike you can get but don't know how they'd take big hits and general FR riding (obv. not the XC side of freeride ;) )
big hits ofcourse, tech stunts like skinnies and north shore trails would be more of a challenge though i think.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
ebfreerider510 said:
big hits ofcourse, tech stunts like skinnies and north shore trails would be more of a challenge though i think.
they are a good all around bike..........like EB said for the north shore stunts amybe too big of a bike

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
dude if you really want a v-10, i guarntee the fact that the bike is a little big will stop you from doign freeride with it. it will be harder but im sure u will cope

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
the v10 is awesome. it turns super rocky trails into butter. it jumps great. it drops awesome. it eats square edge hits like nothin. it pedals just as good as a vpfree. it's light. it's burly. it corners like it's on rails. it's very well balanced, which is great for slow tech too (north shore).
the new version is preferable to the old version tho.

G

·
sriracha said:
the v10 is awesome. it turns super rocky trails into butter. it jumps great. it drops awesome. it eats square edge hits like nothin. it pedals just as good as a vpfree. it's light. it's burly. it corners like it's on rails. it's very well balanced, which is great for slow tech too (north shore).
the new version is preferable to the old version tho.
i ride the old version, and I agree with everything you said

You can definately do FR on it, and no its not too big, coming from a hartail right to a V10, it pedals almost as good (literally) it pedals GREAT..

Buy it..

·
Registered
752 Posts
I love mine and seldome race anymore. Very stable and very plush.

Any info on the 03/04 with a non platform shock?

·
Registered
155 Posts
check out the vp-free...if your not going to race, its a great dh bike, with the right build, of course. i just got a new vpf with a 40, dhx, and it is amazing! My last bike was an 02 Super 8, so I was worried that it wouldn't feel "dh" enough for me, but its perfect.

·
I rot before I ripen
543 Posts
themontashu said:
DHX
FSA Ti BB
Middleburn cranks
gammut guide
egg beater dual Tis
syntace stem
ea50 lo rise bars (in the lo rise there the same as the 70s)
formula brakes
X0 shifter
dura ace casette
DT 440 rear hub
WTB front hub
DT 5.1 rims
sapim bladed spokes
sapim alloy nipples
kenda nevegals 2.3/2.5 single plys
1.2MM tubes
SDG Ifly saddle and Ibeam post
king headset
If I was 10 years younger and racing, this is the bike I'd ride. I can't even imagine what this bike could do at a racing weight of 35 pounds.

This ain't no FR rig, but man it'll roll.

damon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.