Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coming to Santa Cruz for 10 days in early May. 3 of us, all good riders. Have done some research on MBOSC. Have to ask for advice here though. Staying near beach right in Santa Cruz. Have car, will to drive.

Any trail books or map to get? Favourite bike shops (we are near the small craft harbour and Schwann lagoon)? Favourite trails?

Any events, festivals or group rides around then? Any must sees, eat, do (we will mostly be biking though)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This book will get you a good over view of the legal trails in the area:

Mountain Biking Santa Cruz, 2nd Edition: The Ultimate Trail & Ride Guide for the Santa Cruz Area: Dave Diller, Allison Diller, Extremeline Productions LLC: 9780972336123: Amazon.com: Books

Openstreetmaps.org has a lot of trails mapped out online that may be worth downloading to a Garmin with mapping capabilities. But your best bet is to definitely find a local or two to take you our (the MBOSC club ride is also a good option).

One word of advice - do not leave your bikes unattended in or on a car, while lunching, etc. There are some pretty severe problems w/ bike theft in Santa Cruz.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much grumblingcru. We don't have a Garmin. Are the trails a challenge to find and navigate?

will the book be available at LBS?

Thanks for the tip. What about cable locked to the car? Or do they come around with big cable cutters? We could get a better lock if needed. On top of the car they are on locking racks on the hitch rack they are cable locked on. We do not have secure storage inside where we are staying. Is locked up outside in the backyard okay or should we ask about keeping them inside the house?

Are the group rides for all ability levels?

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Where you comin' from? What's your preferred discipline? Dirtvert and/or I can probably give you some guided tours. Soquel Demonstration Forest is about 30 mins drive and is rad. There is some also mighty good stuff right near you but you'll want a guide for that. PM me and we'll lock in a tour of Demo and beyond.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks squashyo,

we are coming from Fernie, British Columbia. We do mostly all mountain here, tough ups, fun downs. Happy with XC too. We will not be in the best biking shape as it is ski season here :)

my one travel companion is teaching with the Trek Dirt series on the 3/4 & 10/11. She should have some ideas of where to go as well.

do you have a guiding company or just happy to take some strangers out who will buy some beer afterwards and repay if you ever head this far north?! :)

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
BC...very cool! You guys will dig it here though it's hard to compete with the trails in your neck of the woods.

Anyhow, not a company...just like to share the goods with out-o-towners and we know these trails like nobody as we ride/build a lot. If we get lucky, we'll maybe have a section of our flow trail open...wishful thinking perhaps but it's pretty killer so far. As for being in shape, no worries there...just out for hucks and giggles.

If you need a guide, we'll hook it up otherwise, we will expect a ride report! ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would LOVE to take you up on a guided ride or 2. We will either be arriving May 2 or 3, so a ride on the 3 or 4 would be great! I will PM you closer to the time. Does it get quite warm? Are early mornings required? We are used to going to Utah this time of year, out the door by 8am!

Any tire recommendations for the area? We run pretty knobby tires up here.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks so much grumblingcru. We don't have a Garmin. Are the trails a challenge to find and navigate?

will the book be available at LBS?

Thanks for the tip. What about cable locked to the car? Or do they come around with big cable cutters? We could get a better lock if needed. On top of the car they are on locking racks on the hitch rack they are cable locked on. We do not have secure storage inside where we are staying. Is locked up outside in the backyard okay or should we ask about keeping them inside the house?

Are the group rides for all ability levels?
I would keep them U-locked all together in the house.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
What Grumbling was saying is that you don't want your bikes anywhere where you can't see them, but somebody else can. Locks are just a minor irritant for bike thieves. Back yard - nope. Inside, out of sight - probably OK.

·
bad reputation
464 Posts
Depending on your dates, I'd be happy to show you some of the SC trails. I'll be in Utah in early may for a week, but I live near where you're staying and always looking for an excuse to ride.
The more technical/fun trails are not legal, thus not signed...so maps and books might not help if that's your thing. But as grumblingcrustacean mentioned, openstreetmaps.org is a good source. Like squashyo mentioned, if you get a chance to check out the Demo Flow trail, take it...even if you have to do a bit of trailwork to earn it, it's worth it. I worked a berm this weekend and I'm a new convert!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Will get some u locks for the trip and see about secure storage.

turfnsurf, the plan is to be there may 2-12. happy to have more guides! Also happy to pick up a tool as well.

We try to become members or donate something to the local bike club where we are riding. Would that be the MBoSC?

·
bad reputation
464 Posts
Yes, MBoSC is the Santa Cruz area club. They have a Demo Forest ride on May 11 (every 2'nd Sunday at 9:30, meet at the parking lot) and a less technical club ride every Saturday at 10:00 in Santa Cruz. Their Facebook page and website has more info: https://www.facebook.com/mtbsantacruz

I'll be in Utah from May 3'rd through the 11'th, but might be able to slip a ride in on the 2'nd to give you an idea of the Santa Cruz scene.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Any tire recommendations for the area? We run pretty knobby tires up here.
Tires run the gamut, I've got Nobby Nics on the double boinger that I run year round. The wife's bike has Spec. Purgatory front, Ground Control rear. Singlespeed - something knobby up front and nano raptor in back. May, unless we get more rain, will be a bit soft and dusty in some places. Under the redwoods will generally be decent.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Count me in on the guide list! I'm free most weekends and could maybe get out midweek for a ride.

As for tires, I've been running Nobby Nics the last few months on my new bike (Ibis Mojo HD 26). I haven't had any real problems, but I just don't feel like I can lean hard on them. As soon as it dries out a bit I'll be putting on the Devilized Butcher/Purgatory combo that I used most of last year.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Not sure if anybody answered this already but not much in the way of festivals happening in May. Sea Otter and SC bike festival happening end of April. But not to worry, all SC rides have the potential to end with a party.

SC trails are awesome and the locals should keep u pretty busy but if you feel like venturing north to Marin, can suggest and potentially show some fun rides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.